The Force Awakens Stormtrooper CRL

Darth Aloha

...just gonna point out that 2 reference pics for the Thermal Detonator on the CRL shows very noticeable seams. (Which is rather funny since the text indicates there should be no visible seams.) :)

(If needed, I can do edits on the pics. Happy to help.)

Dr. Bender's blaster and blaster rifle images uploaded.

I also added his undersuit photo (and an undersuit section because I forgot it) but that suit is not required for basic approval.

-Eric

Quick question, guys, I already have a Jakku Finn (rebel) costume I am working on getting Rebel Legion approval for.

vkMgzKil.jpg

Would there/will there be any kind of CRL if I wanted to do Trooper Finn?

_1429212819.jpg

That would be done through FISD, I imagine? Or do you guys only handle "generic" troopers and not actual named characters? I know his suit is mostly the same (aside from some grit, etc) but obviously he doesn't have his helmet (or rather, he does, and it has a bloody handprint on it, etc) so I wouldn't be wearing that very much, which means it wouldn't technically fulfill the current CRL requirements, right?

14-finn-has-blood-on-his-stormtrooper-he

Or is that sort of thing (battle damage) an acceptable variation that can still be approved? I just want to be sure where/who I would need to go through if I wanted to be that specific character.

I've never dealt with 501st/RL approval before so I appreciate any answers or advice, thanks :)

p.s. Apologies if this isn't the right place to ask this...!

Edited by jjarmoryinc
  • Like 1

Well, aside from "You must a be a black dude", i don't see anything different to add to the CRL  ^_^.

Seriously, basing yourself on the current TFA stormtrooper CRL will, IMO, guarantee you to have no serious approval issues.

• Like 1

Hmm, that's a good question. I would think that would be it, but we don't actually know if Finn has a "hero" suit with any significant differences. I don't know the answer JJ.<br><br>

Maybe if you're doing constant panting, heavy breathing and sweating then you'd be in good shape because that's what he's doing in every clip. ;)

Edited by camprandall
  • Like 4

Assuming Finn is a good guy, the Rebel Legion should get any Finn costumes. But I highly doubt they will approve a "Stormtrooper Finn" since last I heard they will not approve "Stormtrooper Luke" or "Stormtrooper Han". From my understanding, the logic is that the person would have to resemble Mark Hamill and Harrison Ford for people to know it's not just a guy not wearing his stormtrooper helmet. You may have better luck if the bucket stays on, but he has distinct markings on the armor. But I'm not a costume judge, so I couldn't say for sure.

• Like 2

You make me think of another point Darth. If we see other troopers with helmets off, we might see that they are of different ethnicities and then a Finn costume might then need to incorporate costume specifics (ex: bloody fingers on helmet) to properly differentiate.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Edited by camprandall
  • Like 2

Certain clones had particular paint schemes to reflect their individual nature. (Well, that's a whole existential topic right there.) So it appears possible to have an indentified character if there are specific, unique visual identifiers.

Anyways, to bring this back to the CRL, which seems to be on the basic level so far, it seems that individual TKs (ie; Finn TK) would need to have a separate set of "hallmarks" to be able to define and differentiate from other costumes. We haven't seen the movie yet, so who knows how many bloody handprint outfits there could be to differentiate the "Finn TK" from a just-got-blown-up-real-good TK. I suppose a better anology than clones would be imperial officers that have slight variations to designate who they are. There's the basic imperial officer CRL, and there's particular identifiers for some speciifc officers. I understand that some garrisons/members like to be able to specifically identify who they are portraying, so this ability might be useful for those who like to portray a specific TK. I suppose then it's possible, once the movie comes out, to weather your outfit to be the TFA TK that was second to the left in the scene when ___ blew up, or the TK on the extreme right of the____ lens-flare at 20.49min of the movie. However, I would caution against codifying these unique characteristics to the point where our GML's are bogged down trying to verify millimeter paint schemes just to be the second TK to the right and so on. Hopefully there's a happy medium for folks that want to be a specific TK (like a black/grey/red paldron wearing TK) without creating a landslide of minutia. I agree with the general thought that characters in armour will remain 501st/"darkside," even if the character in the armour is "light side" in nature per the movie plot.

Happily, our basic CRL allows for entry level, and folks can choose to get more specific as time wears on. I know I've put further enhancements and accuracy upgrades on hold till the movie comes out. I'd like to see how some specific items mentioned during various accuracy discussions appear on film/ the big screen. The previews seem to show there'll be plenty o'weathering potential for folks that like the battle damaged look. I'm looking forward to seeing all the environments that the the TKs are placed... heck I'm looking forward to just seeing an army of troopers on the big screen again!

Thanks again for all the work on the basic CRL! Go team FISD! -Krista :atat:

• Like 2

Hard to say Krista. The OT TK's had no distinguishing marks, at least not that were intentional, from each other.

Right now there are only a few minor variations that don't really necessitate their own CRL but are "options", notably the officer (pauldron) and heavy weapons (vest & different blaster).

Hmm, that's a good question. I would think that would be it, but we don't actually know if Finn has a "hero" suit with any significant differences. I don't know the answer JJ.<br><br>

Maybe if you're doing constant panting, heavy breathing and sweating then you'd be in good shape because that's what he's doing in every clip. ;)

hahahahahahahahaha - nice one :)

• Like 1

Hm, okay, so I'll admit I'm still a bit confused.

Are you guys saying it would be impossible for me to seek 501st approval as "Trooper Finn" before the December premiere? That if I sought 501st approval it would need to be as a generic "First Order Stormtrooper"?

I'm fine with that if true, just seeking clarification.

Also, you mentioned the Rebel Legion approves "hero" characters, but they don't approve Stormtrooper variants (based off Luke and Han, e.g.) so does that mean responsibility for who might approve a Trooper Finn defaults back to the 501st? Or will the 501st also refuse since he's a "good guy", leaving the actual character's approval in a weird limbo? I understand the movie has yet to be released and we've never had a film character go from "Imperial" to "Rebel" quite this way so there's no precedent yet.

Mostly I am just wondering if

1) it's possible to try and get Trooper Finn approved (I understand I am likely to be the first one seeking this character... which I'll admit would be a point of pride for me) or do I have to wait for a CRL for him to be created (if one ever will be)
2) if so, which organization I need to get it done through, so I can start inquiring on what might be required to pass
3) if I will need to dirty up my armor similar to how Finn has his in the trailers/promo shots, as that's an important step during the painting/finishing process, and something I need to begin planning for as early as possible.

Sorry if this was all answered and I just can't read between the lines. Like I said, I'm not 501st and have never even considered seeking approval before so while I understand the gist of the process I don't know how it applies to specific characters (other than faceless ones like Vader) or characters whom have never been done before/there is no current CRL for.

Edited by jjarmoryinc

• 1 month later...

Like to bump this thread.<br>

There seems to be a need for a change in the CRL. With these recent leaked photos of screen used armor. The Biceps are not seamless. I know after the movie there will be more discussion about the CRLs.

post-21708-0-81122600-1447951210_thumb.png

Dang that Devcon. :)

Tell me about it. In my opinion the armor is about 60% accurate out of the box. If it's any consolation everyone that's received one is in same boat.    

• Like 1

Yep. We know about the seams stuff. If the CRL gets changed before the release it will move to either/or wording. Stand by. 

-Eric

• Like 2

Tell me about it. In my opinion the armor is about 60% accurate out of the box. If it's any consolation everyone that's received one is in same boat.

From the new images I'm most interested in the spats.

Looks like they are attached to the shins.

• Like 1

Yep. We know about the seams stuff. If the CRL gets changed before the release it will move to either/or wording. Stand by. 

-Eric

Seams, shoulder bell suspension/connection, waist belt assembly, hollow pill holes, etc. Just to name a few 

Seams, shoulder bell suspension/connection, waist belt assembly, hollow pill holes, etc. Just to name a few

No way dude. Most of that stuff (if seen) can be level 2/3 stuff someday.

-Eric

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3