The Force Awakens Stormtrooper CRL

Darth Aloha

Yep. Photos will be added slowly over the next few days.

And oops on the formatting. I'll fix my fat finger tonight.

Yeah. Picatinny. Maybe we need a better way to describe that rail? Lemme think about that. Maybe more of a "look at the photo" type descriptor.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Picatinny_rail

-Eric

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I measured it. It's a picatinny rail. Let the internet guide people. Like dental tools and photo lab gear for boba.

The crl doesn't cater to builders. Builders cater to the crl. If you want to make money forging suits...lets be honest that's what aftermarket is...then a builder has to supply proper kits. Bubble lenses are what we've seen. Demonstrate a flat lens from movie footage not pre production photos and its allowed. Shiny black compression garmets vs matte finish. Etc.

Oh there were builders before there were CRLs, but in this case, i do agree.  That's why i've been following this thread from day one.  My main motivation is not money (I don't need the minimal extra cash), but it's because i'd like to have approvable armor for myself and possibly my garrison mates and building it myself is the only way i can do that.  I'd love to go the extra mile and build myself a vacuumformer, which i can.  But i did a local search and could not find a supplier of smoked (or similar) thermoplastic sheets.  And to be honest, i am a bit knackered from building everything from scratch (no pep files, no 3D modelling, just old school sculpting by hand).  All i'm suggesting is maybe we can specify bubble lenses for higher tier, just like OTK boots vs FOTK boots?  That's all. 

• Like 1

How are you making full suits without a vacuformer? And whos did you use as a reference?

Not sure if this is the right place to discuss it but here's my build thread:

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/31428-another-tfa-stormtrooper-bucket-buildold-school-sculpting/

I used a lot of reference photos, scaled them, extrapolated measurements, asked some extremely helpful members for actual measurements and went from those.  

Edited by jimmiroquai

Good points all. Thanks. I'll have a think about it.

This is exactly why a new CRL should be created with transparency and by community.

Also lets keep the discussion here focused on the content of the CRL.

-Eric

While I don't agree about the bubble lenses I yield to popular common sense. Here is the wording as of now:

• Lenses are smoky brown or gray in color. They may be bubble in shape or flat and must be sufficiently dark enough to obscure the costumer's eyes.

More images have been added to the CRL:

http://www.501st.com/databank/TK_-_First_Order

Larger and more detailed versions will be uploaded over time. 

-Eric

LOL No one noticed I forgot to put an entry for knee plates in the CRL:

Images are slowly going up as I have a free moment.

My goal, once the LMO blesses it, is for the CRL to be basically done before the end of this week. 

I think the wording still needs some studying. Feel free to give it a read and let me know what you think.

The boots section needs some love for sure. Not sure what else. 

-Eric

Do we think it's important for the holster to have it's own section in the CRL? At minimum, it might be a good idea to have close up pictures of the holster, showing the details/hardware?

Edited by Barcoder

Do we think it's important for the holster to have it's own section in the CRL? At minimum, it might be a good idea to have close up pictures of the holster, showing the details/hardware?

Yes and no. For now we need people approved. But when we go to EIB we should provide the holster details for sure.

So yes. But in time.

I think I have some good photos of a properly made holster with the right McMaster hardware in my collection. I'll see about whipping it up shortly after the CRL goes green.

-Eric

• Like 1

Bender: Yes I do want a photo.

The material used for the under suit will likely be specified in upper levels of approval.

That does remind me I need to add the under suit back into the CRL.

-Eric

Yes and no. For now we need people approved. But when we go to EIB we should provide the holster details for sure.

So yes. But in time.

I think I have some good photos of a properly made holster with the right McMaster hardware in my collection. I'll see about whipping it up shortly after the CRL goes green.

-Eric

Understood. :)

I also noticed a few things...(Maybe worth looking at?) 

Hand plates: Should we mention the small rectangular decal/box detail on the front? You can see them in the pic but it doesn't mention them in the text?

Forearms: Should we have a pic of the wrist area/opening? The current pics do not show the black decal/rectangular box on the wrist detail. Text should mention this, as well as the long decals above the rail, and the 2 oblique recessed areas on the back?

Neckseal: I assume the neckseal should be made of shiny material as well, to better match the gaskets? (Or does it matter, as you really can't see it anyway?)

Bender: Yes I do want a photo.

The material used for the under suit will likely be specified in upper levels of approval.

That does remind me I need to add the under suit back into the CRL.

-Eric

I wonder about this. Why make the undersuit a part of the L2 and L3 awards if the undersuit isn't even seen?

With the TK the gaps you could see this suit. The EP7 trooper has gaskets and is fully sealed, I think the only place you see a suit is at the neck?

I wonder about this. Why make the undersuit a part of the L2 and L3 awards if the undersuit isn't even seen?

With the TK the gaps you could see this suit. The EP7 trooper has gaskets and is fully sealed, I think the only place you see a suit is at the neck?

You can see it above the thighs so there has to be one. It's minimal though.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Actually the real question should be: where can I get one :) :) :Laser:

Hand plates: Should we mention the small rectangular decal/box detail on the front? You can see them in the pic but it doesn't mention them in the text?

Forearms: Should we have a pic of the wrist area/opening? The current pics do not show the black decal/rectangular box on the wrist detail. Text should mention this, as well as the long decals above the rail, and the 2 oblique recessed areas on the back?

Neckseal: I assume the neckseal should be made of shiny material as well, to better match the gaskets? (Or does it matter, as you really can't see it anyway?)

Good ideas  :yoda:

You can see it above the thighs so there has to be one. It's minimal though.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

^This

I may make a special section just for the gap above the thighs. Take a look at the model in the CRL as it is a very high res photo if you click on it a couple times: http://www.501st.com/databank/TK_-_First_Order

Good stuff! I'll add the text for the handplate black details and on the forearm boxes but the photos will have to follow given our short timeline this week to go green with the CRL. 

The neck seal maybe shiny for L2 but it doesn't matter much. 

Thanks!

-Eric

• Like 1