The Force Awakens Stormtrooper CRL

Darth Aloha

I have a quick question for those more up to speed here. We've seen that there are a considerable number of equipment options that the FO TK's have- from various sources I've seen troopers with a large blaster, E-11 (E-12?), E-11 with stock, pistol, white, black, and red pauldrons, and tactical vests. Will these be considered optional accessories for the CRL, or will some of them be spun off into another CRL, like with the current HWT?  

Hi. New here. Long time lurker; first time poster.<br>

Not sure if this is where it goes, but apparently Finn's trooper designator is FN-2187.<br>

Does that mean all the FO troopers will get a prefix of "FN" (like how "TK" was used for the OT troopers)?<br>

Again, wasn't sure if this is CRL related or not, so sorry if this post is in the wrong thread.

Edited by ender9492

Clint: LOL

I have a quick question for those more up to speed here. We've seen that there are a considerable number of equipment options that the FO TK's have- from various sources I've seen troopers with a large blaster, E-11 (E-12?), E-11 with stock, pistol, white, black, and red pauldrons, and tactical vests. Will these be considered optional accessories for the CRL, or will some of them be spun off into another CRL, like with the current HWT?  

Good question. I think that will be sorted out after the movie comes out when there's more reference material. For now it will be just one TFA TK given that is what is mostly available to build.

I also like the fact that everyone is calling the new E-11 the 7-11. A lot. 

Hi. New here. Long time lurker; first time poster.<br>
Not sure if this is where it goes, but apparently Finn's trooper designator is FN-2187.<br>
Does that mean all the FO troopers will get a prefix of "FN" (like how "TK" was used for the OT troopers)?<br>
Again, wasn't sure if this is CRL related or not, so sorry if this post is in the wrong thread.

Your question is totally in the right place.

For simplicity sake right now because FISD is the steward of this costume it will be a TK. The more we know after opening day the more we'll decide if it needs its own detachment and separate designation or not. Too soon to tell but we're open to a new designation if it eventually warrants it. Right now the goal is to get everyone approved as soon as possible with the costumes that lots of people already own.

-Eric

• Like 1

So I called them "Think boxes" because when I was building them, I said to myself "I think I'm doing this wrong."

Actually, it was probably supposed to say "thin", I'm guessing. ;)

Hahaha, I know the feeling. 

"Think boxes" it is then.  :jc_doublethumbup:

-Zaphod

Quick question... I'm sure there will be more as I study the CRL:

Do we know this for sure: Lenses are smoky brown in color and are bubble in shape.

Maybe we should we say smoky (or smoked) brown or gray because it seems silly to be specific at this stage. 

Also... Did no one notice I put an undersuit in the CRL? Duh.

-Eric

Quick question... I'm sure there will be more as I study the CRL:

Do we know this for sure: Lenses are smoky brown in color and are bubble in shape.

Maybe we should we say smoky (or smoked) brown or gray because it seems silly to be specific at this stage. 

Also... Did no one notice I put an undersuit in the CRL? Duh.

-Eric

We will at least need to wear something like spandex shorts. 

I picked up Under Armor Compression Shorts and Tee.

-Zaphod

We will at least need to wear something like spandex shorts.

I picked up Under Armor Compression Shorts and Tee.

-Zaphod

What?! No commando TK?

Do your shorts have shamrocks on them?

Well if it isn't seen on the outside there is no reason to put it in the CRL. Silly me.

I may relax the color of the lenses in the CRL unless someone has a food argument otherwise.

Images will slowly be uploaded over the next few days while I also really go over the text with a fine toothed blaster.

Thank you all for your patience.

-Eric

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Like cycle shorts. Not sure about (wet look) I think they look just like regular compression under armor. If I want the wet look, I suppose I could piss myself . Sorry, beer is good!

-Pete

• Like 1

Do the lenses absolutely have to be bubbled lenses?  Bubble lenses require special equipment to make and so far, as far as i know, only one helmet maker is offering bubble lenses.  Doesn't leave much room for other makers.  And when done right, flat lenses don't detract from the over all look too much, IMHO.  Maybe bubble lenses for higher tier?

gY7eQ9j.jpg

Edited by Sly11
Edited to restore images Sly11 2021

I will agree with the lenses.<br>

Bubble lenses are tough find, let alone the fitment is real bad in these helmets.<br>

Flat lenses for basic approval and bubble lenses for more accurate lvl 2 & 3..<br><br>

Maybe instead of dark brown lenses. They cld be dark colored like lenses??

They are shinny.

Ah good point. I'll find a way to specify black in that area. Got it. I may not specify shiny but just black.

And food fights now are better than dealing with anal retentive GMLs who use the text of a CRL as like scripture.

-Eric

Like cycle shorts. Not sure about (wet look) I think they look just like regular compression under armor. If I want the wet look, I suppose I could piss myself . Sorry, beer is good!

-Pete

I'm just going to use my regular underarmor for now, I really don't want those gaskets on my bare skin.

Ah good point. I'll find a way to specify black in that area. Got it. I may not specify shiny but just black.

And food fights now are better than dealing with anal retentive GMLs who use the text of a CRL as like scripture.

-Eric

Truth on that.

I will agree with the lenses.<br>

Bubble lenses are tough find, let alone the fitment is real bad in these helmets.<br>

Flat lenses for basic approval and bubble lenses for more accurate lvl 2 & 3..<br><br>

Maybe instead of dark brown lenses. They cld be dark colored like lenses??

I don't mind specifying bubble a la ANH hero.

There is enough movie reference material to support it. Also the majority of troopers will have the A word kit that already has bubble.

It was more the color I was wondering about.

Dark makes sense. Or smoky dark? Must obscure wearers eyes for sure. I'll change it tonight and people can tell me what they think.

-Eric

That could be said about the Anovos TFA kit and their bubbled lenses.  If the current TFA troopers can use non-screen accurate boots, why couldn't I use flat lenses?  The supplier of bubbled lenses is a single source who can't keep up with demand.  The classic TK boots are simply not screen accurate, just as flat lenses are not screen accurate.  I'm not trying to convince anyone to allow flat lenses, I'm just working through the flawed reasoning. 

I get that folks with the Anovos kit want to troop, but I have a hard time feeling bad that they didn't sign up in time for Francois' boots or have to wait just a little longer to receive their boots.  I also don't see anything wrong with his boots, if at least for level 1.  

If the CRL is based off the only current available kit (Anovos), then why not the boots?  Sure, there might be some delays with Francois' boots, but there's even more delays with the Anovos TFA kit.

Well, a lot of thing on the OT TK's weren't screen accurate for years and were 501st acceptable. There has to be a balance here, and some common sense.

I'd agree that while Francois boots are great (and I have a pair), regular TK boots should be acceptable for now. I mean, all CRL's evolve over time as more accurate parts become avaavailable, just like the OT TK.

• Like 1

* There is a formatting error on the Thermal Detonator - shows {{{3}}}

* Forearms - what is a picatinny?

Otherwise, the only thing missing is pictures. I'm sure once we have a dozen or so applicants, we'll see what is missing & needs to be clarified. Can't wait to get mine submitted next month.

BTW, who is the CRL model? I'm shocked, shocked there is not one yet.

Dr Bender. The images are in Ryan's hands at the moment because I suck at photoshop.

-Eric

• Like 1

* There is a formatting error on the Thermal Detonator - shows {{{3}}}

* Forearms - what is a picatinny?

Otherwise, the only thing missing is pictures. I'm sure once we have a dozen or so applicants, we'll see what is missing & needs to be clarified. Can't wait to get mine submitted next month.

Yep. Photos will be added slowly over the next few days.

And oops on the formatting. I'll fix my fat finger tonight.

Yeah. Picatinny. Maybe we need a better way to describe that rail? Lemme think about that. Maybe more of a "look at the photo" type descriptor.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Picatinny_rail

-Eric

Just wanted to lobby a bit more for the approvability of flat lenses.  With humility and every due respect, of course.  Ever since the first teaser of the new helmet leaked online there have been many, many fan built helmets that have come out of the woodwork.  Some that are too far gone to use now that more references have been made available, but some (especially the 3d rendered ones) that seem even closer in shape to the screen used helmets than the "A".  Helmets are simple enough to produce via molding and casting but bubble lenses require vacuum forming which a lot of builders don't have access to in terms of the machines, the plastics or both. For most of the non-501st who want to be 501st with this costume , these fan builds are their only access.  Even 501st members like me, don't have access to the "A" because the company won't ship to our region before the movie comes out.  In fact, this lack of access was the main motivation for my full build (helmet and armor). By accepting flat lenses as well, we can have more FOTK troops before and during the premier of the movie.  Besides, i don't think they really detract too much from the overall look of the helmet which i hope the pics below can illustrate.  And because the FOTK uses a one piece lens, a flat, but curved lens (like a motorcycle visor) can be angled so that it look like a bubble lens. :)  Just my 2 cents as a fan builder and as someone without access to "A" before the premier. :)

Building buckets for my garrison mates:

1QVzosT.jpg

My armor's debut on Force Friday:

qGysL8c.jpg

Edited by Sly11
Edited to restore images Sly11 2021
  • Like 1

The crl doesn't cater to builders. Builders cater to the crl. If you want to make money forging suits...lets be honest that's what aftermarket is...then a builder has to supply proper kits. Bubble lenses are what we've seen. Demonstrate a flat lens from movie footage not pre production photos and its allowed. Shiny black compression garmets vs matte finish. Etc.