The Force Awakens Stormtrooper CRL

Darth Aloha

Forgive me if it was already mentioned, I searched and didn't find it.  Does "rubber like material" for the gaskets mean we could use fabric?  

So far all the talk has been that - while the cloth ones are great for trooping - they're different enough in the look that the CRL should require something more rubbery with more defined ridges.

Hmm, I do see your point. If fabric is to be used, I think that individual approval will have to be quite strict to ensure that the gasket visual requirements are met. There is also the issue with some people have allergies to the rubber/latex gaskets....

Sorry for not posting earlier - work has had me slammed with a new boss the past 2 months plus having to make a trip to China with limited internet access.

Here are my thoughts to far - overall it's a fantastic start.

Helmet
* Lenses - do we have any evidence of non-bubble lenses?  Just wondering why that is there.
* For the clasp greeblies on the top of the helmet, we should provide guideance on approximately where they are.
* Should you mention the line that is on the front of the bill?

Chest Plate
* For the second bullet, how about "The horizontal depression in the upper center of the chest plate can be cut out (L2?), or the cutout effect can be replicated with black marking.
* 3rd bullet: how about "clasp greeblie" to make it more specific.
* 4th bullet: should mention that the six black ovals be cut out or replicated, and also about how big they are, and how far from the right greeblie they are.
* Add a note about the vertical lines along the outside flares of the chest plate.

Back/yoke
* "The yoke portion extends over the wearer's shoulders and curves under" is an incomplete sentence, under what?

Detonator
* "Lefthand end cap sits proud of the detonator assembly and has a black stripe"  What does sit proud mean?
* Last bullet: Simply say "there should be no visible seams".  

Gaskets
* Should you specify about how wide they should be?
* Maybe specifiy latex or rubber for L2/L3?

Shoulder bells
* Any guidance on how far the under lip extends out? Or is it more proportional to the wearer?

Bicep
* See if we can have a rotation of the 2 black ovals, else it will be hard for a GML to judge.

Forearms
* Suggest one shot at an angle so GML's can see 

Gloves
* Do you need to say that the white is made of leather or leather like material?  Just in case someone tries to paint them...

Ab section
* Why "not be seamless"?  When we look at screen caps, they look that way.  And, when we looked at the "screen used suits", they were made that way.
* You should include that the black areas are cutout, or painted black.

Belt
* Suggest you rotate the picture horizontally
* 2nd bullet, you should state their order, e.g. 2 horizontal on the front, two vertical on the right, and the 2 large pouches on the left, with the black mesh one closest to the front.

Thanks for all the feedback Daetrin! I'll process this throughout the day and update some things. Here are a few caveats to that.

1) Eric and our LMO Brian will ultimately refine this and approve, but try to finish this off in a satisfactory way. I'm not the authority on what gets posted on the formal CRL, but someone needs to finish the dirty work. ;)

2) When it comes to dimensions, I think it's tough because I see a lot of openness on CRLs for that. I think part of it is because to actually have the dimensions you need on these things, you'd get super detailed. You could probably write 20 bullets just for the belt and boxes. Do you think it makes sense to limit to dimensions that are more likely to come up due to how people come up with ways to build things? For example, I think guidance on the gaskets is a good one because you could quickly create a different look if you had ridges with no gaps or ridges half or twice as wide. It's a sort of fuzzier area that would be good to give clarity on. For the chest ovals however, it seems that you can get pretty close to the positioning by just looking at the pics. What do you think?

3) The photo selection thus far has been based on the current CRL format, which is why the belt is vertical and why there aren't too many angles on things. I think it's a great idea to get more in there, but not sure what's appropriate since it's actually more rare already that there is ever more than one pic for a section. I suppose it doesn't hurt to add more and then let Brian decide if we're cool to have a photo-heavier CRL for this.

Stay tuned for more progress!

All,

I finally have some cell data and I'm headed home today. I'll likely be back on land for an extended period so I am able get back to being the DL again.

Many thanks for Clint for picking this up and moving it down field in my work related absence. I knew he was the man for the job. And many thanks to everyone who has put in their input so far.

Please do speak up if you have an opinion. There is a reason this is being done out on the open with transparency. It is to get buy in for all the stakeholders and let everyone have a voice.

The CRL is shaping up nicely. I have no comments at this time after looking at it in tapatalk. I'm sure I will once I get in front of a laptop with some wifi.

-Eric

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

All,

I finally have some cell data and I'm headed home today. I'll likely be back on land for an extended period so I am able get back to being the DL again.

Many thanks for Clint for picking this up and moving it down field in my work related absence. I knew he was the man for the job. And many thanks to everyone who has put in their input so far.

Please do speak up if you have an opinion. There is a reason this is being done out on the open with transparency. It is to get buy in for all the stakeholders and let everyone have a voice.

The CRL is shaping up nicely. I have no comments at this time after looking at it in tapatalk. I'm sure I will once I get in front of a laptop with some wifi.

-Eric

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Sounds great Eric! I think we're getting much closer. I will assume from this point forward that you will be handling the info from this point forward so I won't continue to make updates - although we're getting almost to a point where I think it needs that more serious look over anyways. For now, these images are in my photo bucket so if you want to use them as they are, let me know if you need me to email them or anything.

Here's the updated post for reference: http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/31034-the-force-awakens-stormtrooper-crl/page-10#entry420624

• Like 1

Great job moving this forward Clint, I imagine we are not that far off from a launch version of the CRL to share with LMO office. Well Done. Herding cats is never easy. 

Eric, let me know if there is anything I can assist with!

• Like 1

Have all the trailer shots proved they all have bubbled lenses?  Unless the classic TK bubbled lenses fit, this will be a pain point for fan-made helmets.  Maybe we could also use the term "Flat lenses are acceptable until reliable sources for bubbled lenses become available." ? :)

For the boots, shouldn't this be removed?  We already have several suppliers for boots.  Personally it makes me cringe when I see a TFA trooper with classic TK boots.  The TFA trooper overall looks chunky which looks great with the new boots.  The classic TK is more slender so narrow boots fit perfect. Swapping these look terrible (IMHO).   

Have all the trailer shots proved they all have bubbled lenses?  Unless the classic TK bubbled lenses fit, this will be a pain point for fan-made helmets.  Maybe we could also use the term "Flat lenses are acceptable until reliable sources for bubbled lenses become available." ? :)

For the boots, shouldn't this be removed?  We already have several suppliers for boots.  Personally it makes me cringe when I see a TFA trooper with classic TK boots.  The TFA trooper overall looks chunky which looks great with the new boots.  The classic TK is more slender so narrow boots fit perfect. Swapping these look terrible (IMHO).

I do see your point on the boots.... Personally however, I would rather not spend money on the boots available as they are not yet accurate. While they are indeed more "accurate" than the regular TK boots, it seems a waste to invest in something when more accurate items/suppliers will be popping up very soon.

• Like 1

I would agree with Peter on the boots. Having a single source of boots who currently can't keep up with demand and whose soles aren't accurate is a pretty limiting factor to decide approvability. I agree they look better, but right now there is literally no way to get accurate boots unless you learn how to make footwear yourself. I'm going to buy Francois' boots myself, but there's a lengthy waiting list and I can totally understand people not wanting to pay that kind of money knowing that the soles will be replaced in the future.

• Like 4

....a single source....who currently can't keep up with demand...

That could be said about the Anovos TFA kit and their bubbled lenses.  If the current TFA troopers can use non-screen accurate boots, why couldn't I use flat lenses?  The supplier of bubbled lenses is a single source who can't keep up with demand.  The classic TK boots are simply not screen accurate, just as flat lenses are not screen accurate.  I'm not trying to convince anyone to allow flat lenses, I'm just working through the flawed reasoning. 

I get that folks with the Anovos kit want to troop, but I have a hard time feeling bad that they didn't sign up in time for Francois' boots or have to wait just a little longer to receive their boots.  I also don't see anything wrong with his boots, if at least for level 1.  

If the CRL is based off the only current available kit (Anovos), then why not the boots?  Sure, there might be some delays with Francois' boots, but there's even more delays with the Anovos TFA kit.  

Valid points Joe. I don't think the boots are bad either, I was just saying there's debate as to whether or not they're accurate enough to decide to purchase at this time. I totally get your point about the armor though - both are hard to get right now so it's kinda the same issue.