The Force Awakens Stormtrooper CRL

Darth Aloha

if something is no longer acceptable, all earlier participants should be also no longer accepted, until they meet the new standards again

I have to say that this approach would change the nature of the Legion pretty significantly. I would have no desire to build a suit if I thought some guy in his garage who's improving his molds might get me kicked out until I ordered his new set of armor and rebuilt my suit. Creativity would become competition and ingenuity would be very unwelcome to any existing member who doesn't like endlessly building costumes and spending money. If someone is approved, it means they have an accurate suit. This isn't about black and white, good or bad - it's about degrees of accuracy caused by firstly, more awareness and secondly, advancements in artistry and tech. I personally think that continuously improving our CRLs while respecting those who were approved before those changes is perfect. It allows us to continually improve ourselves while not at the expense of others. It's not in conflict with fairness either as anyone who is new and considers joining has all the resources at their disposal to build a suit to the current standards so it's not hurting them to say "Hey, we don't do FX anymore. Use ATA or RS or AP or whatever." It would be a disservice to them if we were instead giving them the option to build it any way any suit was ever built before - not to mention a very confusing experience. Most people want to be as accurate as they can be when they build something and the reward for that effort is now being a permanent part of a Legion that requires participation, not continual costume building, to stay active and contribute.

That's my thought on it.

Edited by camprandall
  • Like 6

I can´t agree.

Even it wouldn´t be the way I would choose, it would only be fair if the yesterdays standards would give access for the new applicants, too (as long as they are still OK for the earlier applicants).

Now, someone has not the freedom to choose the armor he wants (be it cause he is gifted a Marco, or grabbed a FX at a yard sale) - he is forced to spend a certain amount of money into some peoples pockets for the newer and now acceptable plastic-suits, even if that may be much more expensive to him. Only to find himself at a Con/Parade/whatever next to a guy who walks in that stuff he might have gotten cheap, but he was forced to spend more.

Fair would be to accept what was once acceptable, AND additional encourage them to strive for higher. (If they ask before buying, off course. This site offers a great knowledge to those who want to learn and are able to follow through.) But someone shouldn´t be punished for being late to the party.

It's Legion policy that once a costume is approved, you may troop in it forever without having to upgrade at all, so long as you don't have a break in service. If you got 501st accepted in 2005 with an out of the box FX kit and never went inactive/reserve, you can still troop in it all you want and retain full membership.

Michael, if you don't agree than you should be the LMO (Legion Membership Officer) and work to change a Legion policy that has been in effect for at least 10+ years..  

• Like 2

But someone shouldn´t be punished for being late to the party.

I have much less of a disagreement with this component of your argument. It's the idea of retroactively deactivating people as standards change that I have much more of a disagreement with. I wouldn't be strongly against someone with an older suit getting in, but I think it would be difficult because approval would require looking at every version of the CRLs there has been and that would be tough. It's not very practical to have years and years of suit evolution all carefully tracked so that you can evaluate submissions. As it is, it's hard for volunteers to keep up with it all. That's more of a practical concern though.

• Like 2

Paul, it doesn´t matter if i agree.  ;)

Or disagree, for that matter. 

The thing you want is something you'll likely never see happen. The thing is, the Legion is of the members in the end. I'd hate to be the one to say "this costume is no longer accurate, if you want to remain a member, you need to spend 1000+ USD and work such-and-so much hours to get a new costume. 

We're not in it to drive members away. We can promote accuracy to those with older costumes, not enforce it. 

Personally, I really don't enjoy building costumes all that much as people think I do (funny coz there are people who really think I do, that I strive to perfectness and what not, it's so not true, I have two left hands and would rather pay someone to build it for me). It's not as bad when I do this together with others, have some drinks and laughs and socializing, that's the fun part for me, but right now I'm fixing/finishing up my TFA by myself and after an incredibly amount of hours sanding, I'm honestly completely done with it. I didn't become a member because I like to tinker with things, I became a member for the things the Legion does outside building armor, for the socializing and because I love SW. Once it is approved, I will likely only work on it when there is a damage. If it is approved and they find something new that needs to be on there for new approvals, up to everyone themselves if they want it, you wont see me upgrading all too easily.

Point is, as long as the costume is still in possession and not in state of disrepair, and as long as there is no lapse in service, nobody should lose their membership just because one person feels the costume is not up to par anymore. I'm no fan of the FX bucket and signed the petition to get rid of it, but I am not going to tell our long time members they need to get a new helmet. I will support it, but not force it on them.

• Like 3

Sorry if I repeat anything already said here, but evolution is evolution.

Sure we will always discover something new, or missed or never seen before, but history is what defines us. Things improve, be it technique, materiel, or technology, these costumes don't last forever, and gradually you will see less and less FX and first gen so to speak. Everything evolves and changes, but they certainly shouldn't be forgotten. Will everyone be happy, no, will everyone agree, never, but at the heart of it, we dress at Stormtroopers with various levels of accuracy, old and new. It seems to me that are mentality to all of this also needs to evolve. We should all embrace these different levels of accuracy and enjoy our hobby for what it is and not what you can afford, or have the ability to modify.

I for one love high accuracy, but would never condem others for not achieving it.

Love, peace and respect

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 2

First application of a TFA Stormtrooper has been posted on the GML main boards, be interesting to see how it goes

Edited by gmrhodes13
  • Like 1

Only GML's and higher have access

Wow get the rest of us excited for nothing  :D

How about us beta group, maybe could given an exception?  :D

• Like 2

There are guidelines for new character approval to the 501st: http://www.501st.com/databank/Costuming:CharacterApproval

I am not sure about the legalities of the NDA from Anovos

Edited by gmrhodes13

I believe that was my costume. I sent some pictures to my GML for temp approval at local events and he ran it up the flagpole to the legion. Don't worry, they came back pretty quick and said no approvals until the CRL is done. :)

https://flic.kr/s/aHskbPinHE

I believe that was my costume. I sent some pictures to my GML for temp approval at local events and he ran it up the flagpole to the legion. Don't worry, they came back pretty quick and said no approvals until the CRL is done. :)

Nice! Is that a rattle can paint job or other?

Nice! Is that a rattle can paint job or other?

Its the rattlecan paint that Anovos recommended.

Rust-Oleum Ultra Cover 2x Primer (WHITE)

Rust-Oleum Ultra Cover 2x Ultra Cover Paint+Primer (WHITE GLOSS)

Rust-Oleum Ultra Cover 2x Ultra Cover Paint+Primer (BLACK SEMI-GLOSS)

Edited by Beltz

Ok, gotcha. Thanks for filling in the gap. ;)

Ok, gotcha. Thanks for filling in the gap. ;)

Yeah no problem. Sorry for any issues I caused. I sent my GML a txt and told him the FISD folks are going to lynch me :laugh1:

Yeah no problem. Sorry for any issues I caused. I sent my GML a txt and told him the FISD folks are going to lynch me :laugh1:

Hey Dan you didn't cause any problems, people are just excited. No worries sir  :salute:

Hey Dan you didn't cause any problems, people are just excited. No worries sir  :salute:

+1.  No worries.  It will all work out at some point.  You're doing just fine. :duim:

As I mentioned to your GML you do need to send in reference material (photos/info) with a new to the legion costume.

Guidelines for submitting new to the legion costumes is here: http://www.501st.com/databank/Costuming:CharacterApproval

Seems the LMO has deemed the costume to need a finished CRL before anyone can be approved.

Edited by gmrhodes13