The Force Awakens Stormtrooper CRL

Darth Aloha

Thanks for the thorough response! Very interesting. So with all that in mind, I would think that we could go with what is available and update as necessary. I'm not sure on the boots because it could be months so would it hurt to just go with what we have now, which are TK boots, and update the CRL when new available boots show up that are accurate?

Thanks!

That would be my recommendation. In the end detachments can only ever recommend standards. It's up to the LMO for final call.

Hey Daetrin, thanks for the explanation on the building of a CRL, it all make's sense now, especially when reading the origin of the CRL's.

From everything I have read about Anovos and the photos of the TFA armor (looked at a lot of those), I expect there "base" set will be of a high standard, it really would be in there best interests to get it right from the start.

• Like 1

General thoughts:

- Ribbed gaskets should be required, given how freaky the kit looks without them. However considering the problems we had with the rubberized ones, I'm less concerned about the material and more about the look.

- Internal strappings should stay out of CRL. That's harder to enforce and stiffles future innovations. Someone may discover a better way to strap it together. Just make it look right.

- I don't see a huge issue with TK boots working for base approval, given how difficult we sometimes find boot sourcing to be.

• Like 4

General thoughts:

- Ribbed gaskets should be required, given how freaky the kit looks without them. However considering the problems we had with the rubberized ones, I'm less concerned about the material and more about the look.

- Internal strappings should stay out of CRL. That's harder to enforce and stiffles future innovations. Someone may discover a better way to strap it together. Just make it look right.

- I don't see a huge issue with TK boots working for base approval, given how difficult we sometimes find boot sourcing to be.

Internal strapping has never been a part of the CRL since it's never seen, it's up to you. The only thing the CRL will be concerned with is the external appearance.

I agree with TK boots for basic. They are similar in the fact that they both are white boots with a black sole. There are a lot of details different but from a distance TK boots look like they belong. At least until there are multiple sources of TK7 style boots in all sizes...(Size 14/15!).

• Like 3

This also reminds me of the Biker Scout CRL. When I was building my scout, there was no specific boot - just a work/hiking boot with a tan sole. Even though soles are all very different in the tread and height and shade, it's been good enough for that CRL to go that route vs expecting a factory duplicate of a boot you can't even buy anymore.

• Like 3

Hello to All and fellow TFA Troopers!

The gaskets were actually not suppose to be shiny. They are suppose to be a matt finish. The reason ours are a bit shiny is because Anovos went with a different material for durability.  To reproduce the Gaskets in material will be easier. We are working on a material gasket that actually has well defined ribbing to give it that accurate look. Most of us,except for Paul who had those nice shiny material gaskets, can attest to not being able to touch your head. The rubber gaskets are already breaking down due to wear and tear from rubbing against the armor.  I had to use my Dyson Vacuum cleaner to clean up the armor from the rubber powder all over the armor weher the gaskets meet the armor  before apllying car wax to shine up the paint. I really think that as long as we can reproduce the exact look of the Gaskets with defined ribbing then the CRL should reflect that.    

• Like 6

Hello to All and fellow TFA Troopers!

The gaskets were actually not suppose to be shiny. They are suppose to be a matt finish. The reason ours are a bit shiny is because Anovos went with a different material for durability....

Hi there Javier, good to know you are working in fabric gaskets, may be you are working in matt fabric, personally I am looking for a shinny fabric gasket cause the armors used in the movie (not anovos) show shinny gaskets:

10360338_869499249759633_721261490360397

I see shinny gaskets, and yes, I agree the gaskets must to show defined 3mm ribbing widht, jmtc

No source for the blasters yet.

I saw someone in FB making his blaster design, I am going to recheck

Now about the Ep7 boots, just to let you know the sales thread is ready: http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/31184-ep7-stormtrooper-flametrooper-boots-for-sale-under-your-own-sizes/

Edited by crow62

will the CRL be completed without the appropriate blaster ?

2F8AE28A-46B2-4CEA-A98D-B3AF0AD9CC2C_zps

There are areas in the world where props resembling a weapon (even if you make them fluorescent orange for example) are illegal to own. As such, the 501st always made blasters optional legion wide, so I highly doubt we will see a requirement now :)

That said, any CRL where it is added as option, it does state it needs to be accurate if present, which I imagine to be the same in this situation :)

There is a propmaker in TRPF forum making a good blaster replica

Yes, he has a great model so far, much better then anything else I've seen to date.

I can answer this, as I wrote all the original CRL's for at least the first 7 costumes we covered, and also the IOC CRL's that I helped re-write (which was all of them).

Basically we don't take in to regard any one manufacturer. The starting point for the OT CRL's was what was already Legion accepted, which was OOTB (out of the box) FX, so we wrote it that way for BASE acceptance, then took the EI and put that as L2. In the earlier CRL's, we didn't have L1/L2/L3 like we do now. They were written as "must have, should have, can have".

Thus the L1 or base standards were written against armor that was widely available and worn by the majority of troopers, even though it was not fully accurate. As makers started to adopt L2/EI standards in to their costumes, we adjust the standards to move what used to be L2/EI and even some L3/Centurion standards down to base.

A good example is ab plate buttons. It used to be that you could have big, all black ab plate buttons for a base level acceptance (OOTB FX). As people realized that the right buttons were smaller and different colors, troopers started buying upgrade kits and throwing out the black ones. "Mr. FX" then started offering up correct ab buttons on his own, and within a few years all new kits came with correct ab plate buttons. Once that happened, we altered the base CRL to include only correct ones.

Same thing with fabric belts & cut butt plates - both used to be EI only and as more makers adjusted their kits to be L2/EI, then we simply made them base standards.

I would say for base standards for TFA, our goal is to take the same path. Base it around what is easy and common to get, and then make harder items L2/L3.

For instance base standards can include regular TK boots and maybe make L2/L3 the correct ones. Once there are easy/cheap sources for correct boots, eventually that will become the base standard.

Does that make sense?

As someone who was once in the 501st (TC-1724) and is now looking to rejoin as a TFA trooper and TK (I did the anovos $350 preorder) this philosophy makes me very happy and optimistic!

So what is the final verdict on the CRL. Time wise?

It seems there has been alot of input on this subject.

I also do agree with Vix last post. What is easy to access and what is not even made yet should have a big difference on each Level.

I have been following every post in TFA section since SWCA. And Im also in the making of this armor.

So the sooner and the better the CRL is written will help fellow Troopers like myself, get the armor approved into the 501st and also allow troops at more events.

I also want to say thank you to FISD & this forum for all the valuable info and help.

Keep Trooping

• Like 1

I also do agree with Daetrin last post. What is easy to access and what is not even made yet should have a big difference on each Level.

I have been following every post in TFA section since SWCA. And Im also in the making of this armor.

So the sooner and the better the CRL is written will help fellow Troopers like myself, get the armor approved into the 501st and also allow troops at more events.

I also want to say thank you to FISD & this forum for all the valuable info and help.

Keep Trooping

It would be great to get the CRL approved right now but maybe we should wait til the movie comes out. The designation alone is a perfect reason because you know these troopers will have a designation and it won't be TK. JJ is too  big a fan not to include it. 

There are supposed to be some differences between the Alpha 75 kits and the Beta 150 kits. I dont' think it is known yet what they are but it may be benificial to discover that before a CRL is finalized incase they have an impact. Just a thought.

• Like 2

There are supposed to be some differences between the Alpha 75 kits and the Beta 150 kits. I dont' think it is known yet what they are but it may be benificial to discover that before a CRL is finalized incase they have an impact. Just a thought.

I second this

2F8AE28A-46B2-4CEA-A98D-B3AF0AD9CC2C_zps

• Like 1

My understanding - and I could be wrong - is that most of the changes are in an effort to make the kit easier to assemble.  There were 68 pieces on the Alpha 75 kits and they were very labor intensive to make, and assemble.

I am not aware of any alterations to the details otherwise.

• Like 3

I also do agree with Daetrin last post. What is easy to access and what is not even made yet should have a big difference on each Level.

Keep Trooping

The goal is to have them done by end of July, at the latest.  

• Like 3