The Force Awakens Stormtrooper CRL

Darth Aloha

Helmet
  • Lenses are gray in color and may be flat or bubble in shape
  • A single silver aerator/mic tip cylinder is on lower right side of the chin. 
  • The frown is solid black and covered in black hexagonal mesh that extends to the tears
  • Each tear (area beneath the corners of eye lenses) is solid black
  • Seven cut out tube stripe slots are on either side of the helmet
  • Two clip greeblies are present over the traps on the side
  • Two clip greebles are present on the top of the helmet
  • Along the base of the helmet ablack stripe runs from the side of the helmet and across the back to the other side. 
  • A brow of solid black material spans from the traps over the lenses 
  • Directly below the traps toward the base of the helmet is a small trapezoidal stripe. 

Neckseal
  • Black with horizontal ribs, fitted to the wearer, and extending from the base of the neck to conceal the entire neck.

Chest plate
  • Chest plate overlaps the abdominal plate
  • Center of the chest plate may have a cutout or the cutout area may be replicated with a black marking. 
  • A greeblie shall be present on either side of the chest
  • Six black ovals are on the wearer's right side

Back/yoke
  • Back plate contains a "O II" design where the O is black
  • The back/yoke is one seamless piece
  • The yoke portion extends over the wearer's shoulders and curves under 

Thermal detonator
  • The thermal detonator mounting plate sits under the back plate and rests above the belt.
  • Control panel is black
  • Righthand recessed end cape is black
  • Lefthand end cap sits proud of the detonator assembly and has a black stripe
  • The thermal detonator must not have visible seams

Shoulder gaskets
  • Gaskets shall be rubber or a rubber-like material with ridges
  • The shoulder gaskets must cover all exposed areas under the shoulder bell, between the bicep and chest, and between bicep and back.

Shoulder bells
  • One on each shoulder.
  • The shoulders are considered effectively symmetrical. They may be worn interchangeably on the left and right shoulders.
  • Shoulders have small ridge at the top under the bell itself.

Biceps
  • Biceps have only one seam on the side that faces forward. The rest of the bicep must be seamless. 
  • A clip greeblie is present low and across the seam
  • Two black ovals are present on the outside facing side of the bicep

Elbow gaskets
  • Gaskets shall be rubber or a rubber-like material with ridges
  • The elbow gaskets must cover all exposed areas between the bicep and forearm

Forearms
  • Forearms shall have have ridged rail, similar to a picatinny, embedded on the inside of the forearm, roughly covered 1/3rd by a box shape.
  • Forearms shall have a box on the bottom the wrist end. Each box shall have a single black square in the lower inside corner.
  • Each forearm shall have two 'clasp greeblies' on the outside facing surface, near the wrist.
  •  

Gloves/handplates
  • Handplates are rigid square boxes and the hand plates are mounted securely over the back of the glove. 
  • Gloves are black with white palm, thumb and forefinger.
  • Gloves extend underneath the forearm. 

Ab section

• Abdomen section must wrap around the wearer's body without a visible seam.

• The abdomen has 7 boxes attached that matches the order and placement shown and sit flush against the armor. Box connection shall not be seamless and the connecting edge must follow the curves present in the armor.

Codpiece 

• The codpeice sits below the abdomen and under the belt. 

Butt plate
  • The butt plate sits below the abdomen and under the belt. 

Belt

• The belt is ribbed and made from a rubber or a rubber like material.
  • Five white rectangular boxes sit on the belt. Three are mounted vertically and two are horizontal.
  • A small black cloth pouch is worn on the left side. 

Thighs

Knee gaskets

Knee plates

Shins

Spats

Boots

Blaster

-Eric
  • Like 7

The ab/kidney plate is a single piece that is seamless on one side. So, not sure if you want to break out the kidney plate? I presume the belt includes the belt boxes.

The ab/kidney plate is a single piece that is seamless on one side. So, not sure if you want to break out the kidney plate? I presume the belt includes the belt boxes.

The finished ab is ab and kidney. So I'm just calling it the ab section.

And yeah belt includes belt boxes like a TK belt includes drop boxes.

-Eric

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you Eric for starting this thread!

My two cents would be perhaps two tiers of approval.. One tier to account for the ribbed cloth gasket as an alternative to the rubber. Include standard classic TK boots as well.

Next tier, the rubber gaskets, proper boots and shiny new E-11's :D

• Like 2

and shiny new E-11's :D

That can't be done though, it would have to remain optional due to restrictions in some countries..

• Like 2

That can't be done though, it would have to remain optional due to restrictions in some countries..

D'oh. I forgot about that part. Naturally blasters are optional. I also saw the thread regarding the gloves too. I'm catching up on the FISD posts :) I think gloves should be in a tiered level as well. Again, my two cents as I am really new to building a CRL and being a part of the 'first' of a costume. ... Heck.. first of anything!

• Like 1

I have an opinion. lol.

I assume the higher tiers and awarded titles for them were meant to encourage costumers to upgrade their previously approved costumes, given that new reference material surfaced in the form of higher definition release and official displays and shows of screen used armor. Then you have exceptional things none can see without investigating up close and will never be a requirement, like the S-trim.

There is no reason to make basic requirement "low definition" because it isn't any cheaper or harder for the assembler/wearer as it would be for example to pick a differently accessible costume. If we rated the tiers as amount of research/accessories/work required, then comparatively we should ask for the ANH basic tier to match EIB.

I don't know how other detachments define their tiers, at all... but this is the FISD so if we do things like for the TK's I suggest we only write the tier 1 as accurately as possible given knowledge and resources at movie release, then when more knowledge pops up: add tier 2 and 3. 

If for example you don't feel like doing the black+white patterns on your gloves, pick a TK from a movie where it has plain black gloves. I am pretty sure plenty of accurate TFA gloves will be made, same for the boots, neckseal, etc. 

Edited by Nicky
  • Like 3

I'm going to have to disagree that the Tier 1 requirements should be 100% accurate right of the bat. From my view, 100% screen-accuracy should be the goal of Tier 2 and 3, while there should be more flexibility at the baseline level to allow for things like cloth gaskets, different strapping systems, etc. for troopers who may want to add some minor inaccuracies while still being approved. This allows them some more wiggle room to adapt their suit to their own body shape and size, as well as being more comfortable to troop in for longer periods of time, while still remaining approved.

I know that if my classic TK was held to 100% screen-accurate standards, I'd be booted from the Legion- there's no gaffer tape anywhere, the strapping is totally different for comfort, I invested in Nomex gloves instead of rubber, etc., as I go A) for a more "in-universe" authenticity (i.e. what would stormtroopers really wear into battle) and B) for something I can move in comfortably with the often brutal Iowa weather conditions playing a factor.

• Like 3

I would add that depending on the material, some people might be allergic to rubber or certain synthetics for the ribbed undersuit. Yes, you Would wear an under armour underneath for comfort but this isn't unlike Darth Maul contacts. You don't have to have them for medical reasons.

• Like 2

I believe it's easy to simplify someone else's opinion and misunderstand it, so I'll explain what I mean:

I want more stormtroopers, it's tough to troop in scarce numbers. We won't get fewer stormtroopers by being thorough about the CRL. The CRL is actually going to be the most helpful checklist you can find. Tiers are there for the extra mile after additional knowledge submerged, it is also for symbolic things with no particular appearance upgrade.

The extra mile would be for example if we have two greeblies assumed symetrical and after the blu-rays or 4K def are released we realize: "oops, there's a difference!". Kilos of symetrical greeblies are out there, and new batches are on the way, it'd be okay to have symetrical greeblies anyway because that slight difference would fall on Tier 2 or 3. Same with color of the lens assumed gray/green/black, could turn out to be red or purple in a year. Same with whether something is a decal or handpainted, and what color exactly. 

It's a case by case thing: initially if we see something, we include it in basic requirement. If in the future we see something new, and we will, then we ask ourselves why we hadn't noticed, if it was too invisile or if it is major enough to change the basic requirement. Then of course you are among the 75 who already own an armor, if something turns out to be inaccurate you'll be the first ones able to modify and share the knowledge.

Remember that the CRL is often used as a checklist for people all around the world to know what to build and how. I have a tier 1 TK and I had to read the tier 2 and 3 lines to know what to do even if my ambition was just to get approved. 

• Like 1

Wrong arguments, the CRL frequently combined "or [something]-like material" for tier 3 and doesn't pose difficulty to fitting armor to any body type.

I didn't mean the gaskets on fitting to size; for instance, screen-used suits of armor didn't have shims, but some of our larger troopers might need them to fit even though they're technically inaccurate. The same goes for different styles of padding- Many might rather use a custom solution for comfort as opposed to what was used on the screen suit. 

• Like 1

If there is concern regarding wear-ability of the costume, and whether or not it can be approved based on the CRL, then I recommend writing the CRL for how it should look, rather than what it should be made of. For example, there should be ribbed, shiny gasketed shoulders. State it as such. Do not stipulate that it has to be rubber or fabric, etc. The CRLs are supposed to be a checklist about what the costume should look like and should not restrict what it is made out of. By stating what the look should be, it avoids the arguments about what can or cannot be permissible for materials. Further to that, Tiers should be used to differentiate between basic minimum requirements for look and feel of the costume, and small subtle details that take it above and beyond the basic look (but usually also greatly increases the costs and skill involved).

• Like 4

I didn't mean the gaskets on fitting to size; for instance, screen-used suits of armor didn't have shims, but some of our larger troopers might need them to fit even though they're technically inaccurate. The same goes for different styles of padding- Many might rather use a custom solution for comfort as opposed to what was used on the screen suit. 

Yes, you do what you have to do to get into the armor. Then I don't know why you quote me, I was saying that nowhere rubber was required at any tier, and we do have shimmed EIB's and centurions. I didn't see the arguments as valid because of those two examples.

My whole intervention in this thread was about trying to motivate proper timing and use of tier 2 and 3. We should focus on referencing what we see and decide on the extra miles later. No one's possibility to get approved is at risk when we lay out the knowledge base for the builders and makers. 

It is a new project, we should go crazy with the requirements because requirements will lead to a need for stuff and variations in material, size and more versions will be available in the future. We have the skills and technology, moreover, we help each other. 

Edited by Nicky

This is a an excellent discussion. I am of a couple minds about L2 approval and I'm not sure I'm ready to have a solid opinion until we really get down the nitty gritty of the descriptions of each part. Until then my ambivalence remains. Please do carry on. 

There are mentions of materials to be used and not used but they are often purposely vague. For example handplates: "these may be made out of latex or latex-like material." or boots: "white leather or leather-like material." or belt: "The soft belt proper is made of canvas, or material with a canvas covering."

Start thinking about the various ways to describe Wyatt's gaskets and how they differ from the chocolate ones. 

Also... what do people think of my list in the first post? Have I missed anything? If not I'll start trying to put some words down for each for everyone to nit pick. 

-Eric

• Like 1

If you need any help let me know. I have studied this suit for 5 months. ;)

I'm glad you're here. Once we agree on the list of parts we'll need words. This won't be an easy costume to describe for sure. Please do keep an eye on this space and help as you've been known to do. 

Before I finish assembling my kit, I can take individual pictures of each part for the CRL if it's needed. 

I know it's not like we don't have an abundance of photos, right? ;)

Thanks Shana: One of the TFA troopers has agreed to take photos this weekend in a photo type studio thing. Let's see what he comes up with. 

I was supposed to call Darren the other day to talk about maybe migrating select build threads over here but ended up getting distracted by someone shiny. I'm hoping that can still happen.

Krista raised her hand to start collecting information from the TFA private forums as she has been already to post over here.

-Eric

-soft pouches on the belt.

-holster detail with the correct screw info.

-decorations: the stickers vs. paint.

i really would like this to be the first white armor that *doesnt* have EIB or Centurion.  Just make the CRL inclusive.  'shoulders, elbows, and knees have a ribbed gasket.  Gaskets may be rubber, rubber-like material, or cloth.'

let the individual builder decide how insane they want to go, ie, real screws in their resin holster.  i'll bet someone is already making a multi level metal version.

And please can we keep the ambiguity out of it?  no more 'should' and 'minimal'.  use real measurements.  it is already such a complicated build that it doesn't need interpretation.  it needs specifics.

please. 

Edited by sylverbard
  • Like 3