Trooping issues and Solutions for the TFA armor.

captsafe66

Also, how was the armor attached? Snaps and straps? Or velcro?

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/27323-stormtrooper-in-episode-vii/?p=397014

But i expect the 501st CRL won't impose anything regarding the internal strapping. So you most likely will be able to use whatver you prefer.

Have you tried vaseline for the gaskets? I vaseline everything

That's actually an interesting approach. I haven't built my gaskets yet, but I may try some sort of harmless lubricant on the inside such as olive oil.

My wife used snaps to attach the knees and belt boxes. When you see the knees rotating, it is probably due to the gasket rotating, not the actual knee armor. Gaskets are kept in place with Velcro inside the armor.

Here's a look at some of the strapping:

--------------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021
  • Like 9

I would LOVE to see the gaskets fan-made in an Under Armor like material before I get one of these.... I am sure someone is working on that as we speak...

I'm not entirely sure that would be a great idea. Right now, the gaskets are attached to the armor, giving the impression there's someone muscular underneath. When it is on the under armor instead, it may not give the same impression, especially when someone is a bit more bone-y :)

Looking at those pics of the kidney and ab plates....are folk like me who have a bit of a belly going to run into issues? If I were to try and get them to sit as nicely as they look in that pic...my chest plate would need to be about 4 inches in front of my body to maintain the look.

On 4/25/2015 at 12:41 AM, Crocoboxer said:

My wife used snaps to attach the knees and belt boxes. When you see the knees rotating, it is probably due to the gasket rotating, not the actual knee armor. Gaskets are kept in place with Velcro inside the armor.

Here's a look at some of the strapping:

:jc_doublethumbup:

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

Looking at those pics of the kidney and ab plates....are folk like me who have a bit of a belly going to run into issues? If I were to try and get them to sit as nicely as they look in that pic...my chest plate would need to be about 4 inches in front of my body to maintain the look.

My wife has a slim build and it just barely fit on her as it was out of the box. It did not come close to fitting me (6' 2" 220 lbs) and we would have to add extensions for it to fit properly. 

For me, it was the knee gaskets. Too short. Easy fix though at celebration was I just dropped the thighs down a little. No popping of gaskets from their Velcro attachments.

Agree with everyone above. Fabric gaskets will make this better to troop in. Love the helmet. Craziest build I've ever seen.

I did not have to cut my ab section as it fits on like a shirt.

It was such a great honor to troop with the fellow TFAs and can't wait to see more of you out there.

I'll be trooping in mine at Marble City Comic Con in Knoxville tomorrow. First time since celebration.

• Like 2

The ab section has a slit in the back that ends up being like a corset to allow for those of us who drink way too much beer. The thermal det plate covers the corset slit. 

The chest itself kind sits on top of the back/yoke thing. It isn't up as close as a regular TK chest. I don't think a bit of a belly will make a difference... at least I'm hoping not.

-Eric

• Like 1

Great thread, especially as I am waiting for Anovos to offer these, this thread is going to be invaluable to establish problems and solutions, before my order goes in.......whenever that is.

Couple of quick questions, to those lucky enough to wear the armor.

1) Do you think a better gasket material will improve the ability to don and remove the helmet ?

2) For a larger trooper, will shimming be easier to apply than to a standard TK, I am think waist rather than other parts.

Art

Great thread, especially as I am waiting for Anovos to offer these, this thread is going to be invaluable to establish problems and solutions, before my order goes in.......whenever that is.

Couple of quick questions, to those lucky enough to wear the armor.

1) Do you think a better gasket material will improve the ability to don and remove the helmet ?

2) For a larger trooper, will shimming be easier to apply than to a standard TK, I am think waist rather than other parts.

Art

1) Yes the one trooper who had alternative gaskets at C7 had a great range of mobility.

2) See post above. The ab goes all the around the body and is split in the back. 

-Eric

• Like 2

With the rubber gaskets, do you think these would crack after some time of use as there looks as if the gaskets fold in a few places. I also have heard they where difficult to glue together, did anyone find anything that kept them glued?

The gaskets were rubbing off and you could see 'shavings' on the armor from the rubber during Celebration on the troopers. So there is already wear and tear found on the gaskets after a couple of days of trooping. 

I'm still building, but I've found the Weir Stuck glue that was provided is working well on the rubber gaskets. CA Glue is working as well. 

• Like 2

Interesting. We didn't have any problems with gasket bits rubbing off.

Seamless pieces:

1. Back - Across the shoulders on back armor plate.
2. Biceps - only one side of each bicep
3. Forearms - where the two halves glue together.
4. Ab/Kidney - Left and right side where Ab plate and kidney plate join together.
5. Thermal Detonator - this was a lot of work.

6. A few other small parts such as belt ammo boxes detail strips on side of legs also might require some bondo or plastic weld (which we used).

Edited by Crocoboxer
  • Like 2

Can someone tell me the size of each rib on the gaskets? I found a shinny fabric and I want to make a undersuit with a "gasket look" in shoulders, elbows and knees

0tjlnQU.jpg

Edited by gmrhodes13
photos updated gmrhodes13 2021

Gio, the actual rib size, or the length of the gaskets?

Also, when you do an undersuit, make sure that the gaskets will look like they are attached to the armor. They are made like this on purpose, so even boney people will look buff in the armor :)

Gio, the actual rib size, or the length of the gaskets?

Also, when you do an undersuit, make sure that the gaskets will look like they are attached to the armor. They are made like this on purpose, so even boney people will look buff in the armor :)

I am looking for info about  ribs measures, if you can help me with the data will be awesome, and inside  the undersuit, foam or a muscle suit can be used (at user discretion or needs) to grow the proportions.

On 4/27/2015 at 5:03 AM, svache said:

I noticed on the screen used armor that the gaskets don't seem to be glued to the armor!

3vKgh94.jpg

Edited by gmrhodes13

On 4/27/2015 at 6:06 AM, gmrhodes13 said:

I noticed on the screen used armor that the gaskets don't seem to be glued to the armor!

3vKgh94.jpg

I think Jeroen was referring to the shoulder gaskets specifically

Edited by gmrhodes13

Actually I meant all the gaskets, as they all have tabs to attach them to the armor on the inside.

I think the screen used may give

a different appearance as the screen used gaskets are thinner, but the principle is likely the same.