HWT Pack Critique

This photo came up in the GML forums... I apologize if it is a member of FISD already. I don't know enough about the pack to really give it a once over. 

What do you folks think?

IMG_0143_zpskh4bd19u.jpg

Thanks!

-Eric

Hi,

What I think about it? It looks similar like packs here in the forum. I find just the upper boxes too small and I don't like the polished radio buttons so much. The rest looks great....

Here a pic of my backpack... I like it when the boxes are mounted very compact:

Manutex_HWT_08.jpg

Edited by Manutex

When you look at the recent packs plus the screengrabs it all starts to blur....There are some really good builds here but each is a little different. I personally think that Manutex has hit closest to the mark as far as general size in relation to the screengrab but all of them look cool. I think the pack you asked about Eric has some shiny bits for buttons and knobs that do not translate well but hey what do I know, I'm colorblind. 

17200555686_fde4754cea.jpg

• Like 1

personally if you look at the scale of the HWT pack in the game these packs are muich too large and thin.

large on the width and thin on the thickness.  also the handle at the top should not be there.

thickness and side detals are usually missing

pcsx22011-04-1210-50-09-68.jpg

see how the pack clearly is much shorter than a standard pack allowing the T det to be worn and seen from behind.

pcsx22011-04-1210-48-47-93.jpg

this pack is close, but still too large?

Manutex_HWT_08.jpg

they are all good looking, just the scale is what I'm looking at?

Vern,

I agree and made the modifications to mine based on comments you had made a while back regarding the HWT pack. You are right about the scale and thickness. The screengrabs show the troopers still wearing the thermal detonator which would put the pack way up on our backs and may look like we had a little school backpack. Maybe they are carrying their lunch in there? It is going to be tough to get the scale right. Even manutex's pack which is spot on will not allow a thermal detonator to be worn.  The good news is the smaller we build them the lighter they get. :smiley-sw013:

Vern,

Check this out. I closed the handle and added side detail.

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/30973-heavy-weapons-pack-modifications/

Edited by Templar726

• 4 weeks later...

Everything looks amazing, job well done! I'm in the process of converting to the HWT soon. I'm currently working on the pack as well. What I need guidance on is attaching the straps to the pack. Are there any pics on how to do that?

• 1 month later...

The CRL pack close up has one and we all just went along with that. The game does not have them but man do they look good on the packs! Eventually the CRL top pictures as well as the pack close up will change to better match the screen grabs since there are good examples of packs out there now but it takes time. I say sport those antennas until it changes!

I have two guys building packs right now and they are not sure about the antennas but it is an easy remove down the road so no big deal to go ahead and put one on.

The CRL pack close up has one and we all just went along with that. The game does not have them but man do they look good on the packs! Eventually the CRL top pictures as well as the pack close up will change to better match the screen grabs since there are good examples of packs out there now but it takes time. I say sport those antennas until it changes!

Are you a lawyer as a day-job? Because it sounds like you're looking for loopholes.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

For what it's worth, I'm going to toss my two cents into this conversation...  When I built my pack, I used Charles' (Templar 726) and Tonys' (ukswrath) builds, as well as the one in the HWT CRL photo as a guide.  Are there differences?  Of course.  Are they similar?  Very. 

Handles?  Of course they have handles.  They are made from oil drain pans, (which hmmmm....  have handles).   Do the screen grabs have handles?  Looking closely, (Thanks, Matthew), it looks like they do, but have been "filled in" to a degree.   I do like Charles' handle mod, and just may steal the idea. ;)  They do make it easier to carry, though.

To be honest, I had a blast building mine using the aforementioned references.  It was either use their ideas, and spend about 80 bucks, or let's see... Wait around for someone with a vaccu-form to make detailed molds, and charge God knows how much.

Unlike armor, weapons, and such, there are no "official" or vetted manufacturers of HWT packs, so we are forced to get creative, and use the closest thing we can find.  So far, I think the vast majority have done an outstanding job.  Yes, there will be small differences.  It's just the nature of the beast.  (Line up 10 TKs and see how many differences you can spot in their armor... some ANH, some ESB, some ROTJ, etc.)  Not to mention their blasters... Hyperfirm, Doopydoos, Hasbro, holster on the left, holster on the right... and the list goes on. 

Are the small differences in the packs noticeable to the general public?  Not likely. 

All we have to go on officially at this point is the HWT CRL photo, which does indeed have an antenna, and, like Charles said, can be removed down the line if needed.  I personally like it, as it gives it a bit more character, but again, that is just my opinion.

In the end, we all strive for accuracy, of course.  In the event that the CRLs change, I would mod my pack to follow them, but until then, I am more than happy with my own little creation...

20150712_082425_resized_1_zpssjojm7mh.jp

Edited by justjoseph63
  • Like 1

Wow.. I Think I may have ruffled a few feathers with my post on this subject.  It would be interesting to hear opinions from other HWTs on this topic, or anyone interested in becoming one.

CRL photo's have never been the definition of the CRL. The CRL is the text, not the pictures.

Sometimes the pictures don't correspond with the CRL, but that's only because that's the best/only picture available at the time of creation. If you want it corrected, do something about it by providing better pictures and nag the staff to see it updated. But never use the pictures as a guide to what is acceptable.