Question about Anovos’ Armor

Hey there! I'm actually a member of the Rebel Legion (Freedom Base), where I am a generic Jedi. I went to my first con in February of this year, and I LOVED it! I'm thinking about getting ANH stormtrooper armor now too. Seeing all the different types of troopers in person was just stunning.

Is Anovos Armor going to be any good? Would it be allowed by the 501st?

I've just started researching armor-types so I think I want (based on info I found http://www.501st.com/databank/Costuming:TK_anh_hero):

--ABS armor (I don't want to have to polish it)

--trimmed (I've seen the untrimmed kits and I'm afraid I'd screw that up)

--I don't mind doing some work to the bucket to customize the inside of it.

But how do I figure out the sizing? If possible, I'd like to get a bucket that would fit over my glasses since I don't wear contacts and can't see squat without my glasses anyway. :)

Thanks so much! I appreciate any advice!

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

Well hello there Amy and welcome to FISD.  From what I have read so far it may be too early to tell if Anovos TK armor will be approvable right out of the box.  I would bet that it will be because they have apparently 3d scanned a suit at LFL but who knows right now.

However, the early indication is that this armor won't ship until winter 2015.  So if you are in more of a rush then I would recommend selecting another armor.  Read the getting started thread and then there are also a few more armors that aren't listed like MTK, NE, Cap-w.  It really all comes down to your size.  I believe the only armor maker that offers a trimmed kit is AP.  But I could be wrong.  AP runs a little more on the smaller size.

I would really recommend doing all of the trimming yourself since you can tailor it more to fit you.  Once you make your first few cuts it really does get easier and easier!

Good luck

Hi Amy!

Please keep in mind that no armor is 501st approvable right out of the box.

Approval is dependent on the fit of the armor to each individual. Anovos armor may work for base approval or beyond, but that will only be determined once someone gets the armor, fits it to their person, and submits for approval.

As for sizing, any armor you get will need to be trimmed to fit you. The type of armor you get will be based on your height and weight.

As a fellow glasses man ill warn you now. I have never seen a bucket where someone can get their glasses in.

Well, I could probably get by, or God forbid, try contacts for when I'm trooping. :) If I could follow the rest of the herd, I'd probably be alright.

As for the link above from Sonnenschein, does anyone have any recommendations for a particular seller? Like, where did you get your armor from and are you happy with it? I know it doesn't last forever, but I'd like to try and make an informed purchase.

Thanks!

You could get prescription sport glasses. or I've seen a guy on here take off the sides and affix the glasses inside the helmet. (just suggestions as I don't wear glasses)

I taped my glasses behind the lenses, it's GREAT ! I've trooped 3 days with them and I had no problem. The sides are of course removed. I now have to think of a way to hold them that let me put them on and off easily.

Here's a question. I saw someone at celebration post that the Anovos armor seemed a little thin and fragile. Their site says the armor is .090 ABS. I don't know nearly enough about kits for that to mean anything to me, but does that sound right to you guys? What's a normal thickness for other kits?

Here's a question. I saw someone at celebration post that the Anovos armor seemed a little thin and fragile. Their site says the armor is .090 ABS. I don't know nearly enough about kits for that to mean anything to me, but does that sound right to you guys? What's a normal thickness for other kits?

The only Anovos armor at C7 was the new TFA TK armor. They didn't have a prototype ANH TK on display. That thickness is on par w other makers (if not a little thicker?)

The only Anovos armor at C7 was the new TFA TK armor. They didn't have a prototype ANH TK on display. That thickness is on par w other makers (if not a little thicker?)

They are probably thinking of the eFX ANH armor that was on display next to Anovos. That armor was quite thin. The thickness of both the Anovos EP7 Stormtrooper and ESB Snowtrooper was much better than the eFX suit.