Any Venders thinking about making the new EP VII TK?

Phoenix Props have been working on the helmet for some time, but expect to see more from them, reall soon i'm guessing.

Avon's simply replicated the suits used in the film.  Anovos was given access to one movie-made suit (designed and built by Legacy Effects, I think) , then used it to build their own suit for sale to some select 501st members.  That was what was used for the Abrams 'reveal' earlier today.

Edited by Necronaut
  • Like 2

With all the new pics from Celebration. Is there any reports on any Vender going to offer the new TK's?

Andy

Phoenix Props have been working on the helmet for some time, but expect to see more from them, reall soon i'm guessing.

Correct, Roy and I have been working on the model for the EP7 Helmet. Well mostly Roy :D

Now with the big reveal out we will have the additional details of the screen used helmets at celebration as well as the new trailer Roy will be putting the finishing touches on it and it will be sent to prototyping.

Be on the lookout for a pre-order setup soon to help fund production and get your helmets at a reduced price.

• Like 5

Any potential vendor of fan made armor has to be very careful now, imho.

This is not George Lucas anymore holding his hands above us.

This is Disney now and an officially licensed company delivering high priced merchandise.

Big bucks.

I expect them to protect their intellectual property with teeth and claws ...

There is absolutely no arguing in creating and selling that armor like there was before with the OT TKs, like "there isn't anything else available" or "it is a thirty year old design" or whatever.

It is a new design that will be trademarked and patented and anything else like nothing before and there is company who sells it.

Period.

It is either "buy this" or get out of the way.

No greyzone, no different shades of grey.

• Like 1

Any potential vendor of fan made armor has to be very careful now, imho.

This is not George Lucas anymore holding his hands above us.

This is Disney now and an officially licensed company delivering high priced merchandise.

Big bucks.

I expect them to protect their intellectual property with teeth and claws ...

There is absolutely no arguing in creating and selling that armor like there was before with the OT TKs, like "there isn't anything else available" or "it is a thirty year old design" or whatever.

It is a new design that will be trademarked and patented and anything else like nothing before and there is company who sells it.

Period.

It is either "buy this" or get out of the way.

No greyzone, no different shades of grey.

This is my fear also.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

• Like 1

I think the millions we collect for charity using costumes, and the amount of free SW hyping puts us in the safest zone. Can't say the same about ANOVOS, if they for any reason lose the license, they're out.

• Like 4

I think the millions we collect for charity using costumes, and the amount of free SW hyping puts us in the safest zone. Can't say the same about ANOVOS, if they for any reason lose the license, they're out.

Dead right

Well, of course I know of the gentlemen's agreement with LFL.

But I was always under the Impression that it was a direct order from the man himself.

But he is out now.

Now we are talking Disney and new designs here.

And if LFL/Disney really will hold its feet still when fan made ep7 troopers pop up, I highly doubt Anovos will ...

Promoting Star Wars and doing charity in its name may be reason enough for Disney to keep both eyes closed, but Anovos is a business with investments they need to regain.

Fan made armor, sculpted by hand, with blood, sweat and tears, sold for the price of manufacturing (meaning no real monetary gain) also may be one thing, but think about the situation when the first vendor is accused of recasting an Anovos suit ...

Well, of course I know of the gentlemen's agreement with LFL.

But I was always under the Impression that it was a direct order from the man himself.

But he is out now.

Now we are talking Disney and new designs here.

And if LFL/Disney really will hold its feet still when fan made ep7 troopers pop up, I highly doubt Anovos will ...

Promoting Star Wars and doing charity in its name may be reason enough for Disney to keep both eyes closed, but Anovos is a business with investments they need to regain.

Fan made armor, sculpted by hand, with blood, sweat and tears, sold for the price of manufacturing (meaning no real monetary gain) also may be one thing, but think about the situation when the first vendor is accused of recasting an Anovos suit ...

Their eyes are not closed, they have employees who work with fan communities, and they know what we do.

Just a note: "recast" is not in topic. In a scenario without such agreement or understanding of a creative fanbase we wouldn't have been allowed to even draw the armor designs on two wood planks tied with threads over the shoulders. That would mean bye bye cosplayers. There's no distinction in replication methods when replicating a design. However inside the fan making hobby we talk about "recasts" as the frequent act of partly using someone else's workmanship and producing additional series further, by dipping a product considered final into silicone and branching out the production chain without care to ask if it's okay. Things get lost and there is harm in social definitions. But it has nothing to do with LFL until we start setting a shop, advertising and selling to the grand public to/from a country where copyrights are violated. If the ANOVOS suit is recast after they started selling the armor it's their own problem and they'll most likely see it on eBay with the usual "501st approved" bullshucks descriptions, but for us: a bunch of forum threads more to moderate. 

The agreement is that we stick to the hobby definitions and we don't have to worry. 

Edited by Nicky
  • Like 3

Uhh, says who? Oh yeah, just a bunch of people who got a bit excited about the new trailer and pics from celebration.

I would search the old threads regarding that specific topic, the topic is so old. The question in this thread is if there are any ideas of making some TFA armors soon as fan kit.

Edited by Nicky

What about legal precedence? Whoever owned Star Wars (Lucas) didn't exercize their right to sue on purpose. Now, whoever owns SW (Disney) shouldn't be able to exercise that right just because the company changed faces. We would be making and selling artwork the same way we have been (clones, Fett, etc). Recast argument doesn't have a leg to stand on, either.

Don't Disney ask for 501st to do star wars weekend? That would be a bit hipocritical. Come to Disney Land but not as new troopers

Also, I believe Disney asked us "FISD" for input on their design and limitations for their new Star Wars costumes for their Employees a while back. It is in a thread somewhere here on FISD.

Andy

This is my fear also.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

I wonder if there is a 501st Contact with Lucasfilm and Disney to discuss issues. With the New movies coming out and Comic Cons, this would help us to know where we stand?

Andy

I wonder if there is a 501st Contact with Lucasfilm and Disney to discuss issues. With the New movies coming out and Comic Cons, this would help us to know where we stand?

Andy

Where? I don't remember anything like that. There once was a Disney employee talking about their Disneyland suits but that's all.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 2