Front Sight Mod on a Doopy Doo's resin kit - added realism

Squimspickle

Hello all,

This is a fairly easy mod that you can do to your Doopy Doo's resin kit to make that front sight look more like a Sterling SMG. I cut out all of the inside resin of the the DD front sight. So I was just left with the sight guard. I then dremeled and needle filed out a notch onto the top of the front barrel. The notch length (from side to side) is an inch. The hardest part is getting the dovetail edges, but you probably wouldn't have to go that far either. You could just leave it a 90 degree angles. I used a sheet of 1.5mm styrene to create the site base. I cut out a strip from the sheet of styrene and then cut that up into 6 smaller pieces which I glued and stacked together. 3 for the piece that dovetails in and 3 for the little box that sits on top. After that I sanded it all down testing the fit into my barrel groove as I went. I haven't completely finished with it yet, so I'll add more pics as I complete it. I'm planning on adding a nail tip sight and a small grub screw on the side of the little box that sits on top.

Zfykqdm.jpg

S3ajT4p.jpg

The pic below shows the comparison of my sight with an actual Sterling SMG front sight. This is definitely do-able! It is a little intimidating cutting into a perfectly good barrel, but I figured if I messed up I'd would just fill it in with plastic putty and try again. I love the added realism!

waROzfv.jpg

• Like 4

Thanks for all the positive feedback! I believe I have the front sight completed.  I filed down the end of a threaded rod to create the sight pin.  I cut it off leaving 3-4 layers of threading.  I wanted to be able to screw it into the top of the sight block.  I drilled a hole into the top and the side of the sight block.  In the side of of the sight block I added a grub screw and in the top I screwed in the sight pin. I spray painted the entire sight black and it's all done.  It's a very small detail but a detail none the less.

GDcWW87.jpg

I did some painting to make the sight look like painted metal.  I also sprayed it with a satin finish to give it some sheen.  The parts all screw and unscrew nicely from the styrene. So now I am officially done with this E11 blaster part that is only an inch wide and most of it will be sitting in a groove, lol!  I enjoyed doing it, that's all that matters.

dmPcL2W.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm in the process of doing something very similar and have just come across this thread which will be very helpful.

Very nice work Aaron.

Just checked out your build thread.  Your doing a fantastic job!  My build has been on hold lately.  I need to get back to it!