Anovos TK armor preorder

Webbing is when the plastic sort of sticks to itself instead of being flat against the mould. It often makes sort of "sails" of plastic sticking straight out of the mould

That's kind of what I figured, but why does that really matter if the webbing happens on the scrap ABS? Paul said there was some on the forehead as well, so I should go back and look again to see if I can spot it, but if it's on the ABS that gets trimmed off in the rough trim then it doesn't really matter, does it?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Edited by CommanderZel

I'm guessing that the webbing and man-handling to get it off is just a sign of "good enough" manufacturing instead of "do it the right way" manufacturing.

If you notice, the dome part of the mold stayed stuck in the plastic as they removed it...so it's a multiple piece metal mold that someone has to man-handle the dome for each and every part.

But, this is what you get in Asia. I'm guessing this is somewhere in Dongguan or Shenzhen, China.

Trust me, the culture there is "don't spend a penny unless you have to, just throw more people at it" when it comes to low cost production. Six Sigma methodologies and other Quality Systems type of stuff for how to design in quality (instead of sorting out defects or even just passing them on to the customer) is not typical.

I've spent several years of my life in China setting up microelectronics manufacturing facilities...it doesn't matter if you are making vacuum formed parts or high-precision electronics, the culture is just different there.

Edited by aramis
  • Like 1

Well the problem is really just the fact that they're producing for corporate American capitalism. When the economic system you produce for is as consumption-driven as ours, the quality of product produced is completely irrelevant. It's all about quantity in this case.

That being said, I do have faith in ANOVOS and their ability to put out a medium-quality product.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

And let´s not forget - the way this armor looks it will for sure have a impact on the market, and each kit thay sell, will another (old vetted) not sell. Same with TD and belt, some will be replaced, but each one they deliver thats not gonna be replaced, will not be sold by the known sellers.

So - of course some of this group have a strong interest in talking the kit down. Everyone who thinks about buying it and can be infected with hesitation, may be a kept customer for them.

Never blindly trust a judgement with monetary interests in the game.

Chinese production methods are often way more rustical than the western countries are used to. But as long as the final results are OK, i think it is fine and no reason to complain.

Atm i like what i see. For any judgement regarding helmet and material i will wait until a educated guess can be made instead of wild speculations.

• Like 1

And let´s not forget - the way this armor looks it will for sure have a impact on the market, and each kit thay sell, will another (old vetted) not sell. Same with TD and belt, some will be replaced, but each one they deliver thats not gonna be replaced, will not be sold by the known sellers.

So - of course some of this group have a strong interest in talking the kit down. Everyone who thinks about buying it and can be infected with hesitation, may be a kept customer for them.

Never blindly trust a judgement with monetary interests in the game.

Chinese production methods are often way more rustical than the western countries are used to. But as long as the final results are OK, i think it is fine and no reason to complain.

Atm i like what i see. For any judgement regarding helmet and material i will wait until a educated guess can be made instead of wild speculations.

I wasn't complaining about Chinese production methods...just making the point that things are done differently there, and for a different cost.

That's why people have things made in China, after all.

This is really sad too hear that a GML is already rejecting this Ano-vos kit without it being in a recruit's troopers hands yet... If this is the kind of responses people are going to get for a belt rivet when submitting for approval will jest show how ______ people in the legion can be... We jest past the 7000 member mark of active members and will the GML's plan on rejecting 5000 recruit’s because of such a small detail??? Please tell me this isn’t so!!!

As for the kit, I already see the drain in the pocket book this must be for prop masters out there seeing maybe 5000 trooper kits being produced!!! Jest think of it this way, how many years would you have taken too produce this many kits from the home base prop masters out there…I have an AP kit great respect to my prop master I love my kit...  In the long run this is a great boost to The 501st Legion, I don’t know why some people can’t see this!!!

I wonder jest how much poop I’m going to get for this one!!! Lol This is jest my opinion… 

• Like 5

to me i dont care who produces it or what it costs.  It comes down to the fact its not accurate.  and from a company that loves to talk about how they have access to the real props.

Im a GML.  If the things ship like this, and the folks dont change the belt and TD at least its not getting approved.  There is no reason to relax the standards of the legion because there are a lot of these.

When someone submits to me in an unmodified FX or an unmodified Rubies (yes its happened *shudder*) I tell them the same thing.

If the suit meets the CRls then ill pass it if it doesnt I wont.

I hope like heck we are not going to go back to the days when anything goes.  We are supposed to be a forefront costume club.  we are supposed to look like we stepped out of the movie.  We are not supposed to be a drinking club that likes to cosplay.  

Its not about anovos (he he) its about the fact the kit isn't accurate.  is it cheap?  sure.  can it be made to pass? sure.  will it pass from the start, probably not.  

If we were all eletist we would say that only RS and TM kits could be in the 501st.  But we still let in FX kits from 15 years ago as long as they have been modified to meet the minimums.

Dont turn this into a "the 501st hates ANOVOS" thread.  One of those is on the main legion already.

this shoudl be a thread talking about what we as crazy costume nerds see as issues in the kit so we can figure out what needs to be done to make it better BEFORE 5000 newbies try to submit and get told they cant pass.

• Like 4

I wasn't complaining about Chinese production methods...just making the point that things are done differently there, and for a different cost.

That's why people have things made in China, after all.

I know, that part was to second your posting, as i agree to it. It was also devalue the complaints just to complain.  ;)

So here's a silly question...let say that someone (Ok, it's me) has an RS Props kit still in the box waiting to be built and an  CWFBSORNTACP kit on the way as well, and you'd like to end up with a TK and a TD when they're both done.

So, not worrying about the parts that are inherently different between TK and TD (sniper knee plate, etc.), and not worrying about the belt or thermal detonator issues right now, and just focusing on what we can see of the sculpts / molds / general look and feel of the white plastic...

is there one that would be an obvious best choice as the TK (or TD)?

Thanks!

Edited by aramis

Yes it will, unless someone can prove to me it doesn't meet the following requirements

Thermal Detonator
For 501st approval:

• (A.K.A. O2 canister) attaches to the center back of the belt.
  • Detonator consists of an all grey cylinder, without silver stickers or silver paint.
    • The cylinder is between 2” (50mm) and 2.68"(68mm) in diameter with white end caps on each end.
  • The white control panel pad faces upwards, with the controls/round washer style detail closest to the right end cap.
  • The total length is approximately 7.50" (190.5mm).
  • The thermal detonator is attached via metal or metallic-appearing clips, approximately 1" (25mm) wide.
  • Like 1

At the end of the day, as we love to point out around here, we are dressing as plastic spacemen.  To make children smile.  To make people smile.  To do some good in the world.

If the TD clips aren't perfect, so what.  They pass basic level approval.  
The belt, yes.  Different issue.

I'm personally working very, very hard, to reach out to as many of the CWFBSORNTACP preorder people as I can (via a FB gropu where many have gathered), to ensure that they are aware of the FISD and the help that we provide to TK builders on a daily basis.  You'd best believe that they are very aware of this thread.  

Let's please try to keep it civil as others have mentioned, and keep our focus on ensuring that these prospective Legion members, and future TK builders get off on the right foot, with an awareness of our standards in the event that their interaction with us here inspires them to make the decision to join the 501st one day.  
I mean, I'm inclined to think that at least two or three of those likely thousands of kits are going to wind up in the hands of other nerds that think that this bunch of nerds here is pretty cool and want to eat some cookies with us.

• Like 5

Yes it will, unless someone can prove to me it doesn't meet the following requirements

Thermal Detonator

For 501st approval:

• (A.K.A. O2 canister) attaches to the center back of the belt.
  • Detonator consists of an all grey cylinder, without silver stickers or silver paint.
    • The cylinder is between 2” (50mm) and 2.68"(68mm) in diameter with white end caps on each end.
  • The white control panel pad faces upwards, with the controls/round washer style detail closest to the right end cap.
  • The total length is approximately 7.50" (190.5mm).
  • The thermal detonator is attached via metal or metallic-appearing clips, approximately 1" (25mm) wide.

Exactly. It doesn't meet EIB+ but for basic, there's no reason to say what we see wouldn't pass basic approval. GMLs shouldn't be making new applicants meet 2nd and 3rd level requirements just to be approved. 

Edited by netslave
  • Like 2

Oh my god, I'm on white armor on I have to hear about Six Sigma and LEAN principles!!! 

FiSD will be handing out black belts in forum bitching and moaning processes. 

-Eric

• Like 4

Yes...  But not until next December when we have to adapt/provide the new CRL for that costume.   :D

This very thought has occurred to me as well.

Yes, it's this very observation that tells me I really should not try to modify the belt for the CWFBSORNTACP costume, but rather get/make a replacement for approval purposes, in case I want to bring it back and sport four rivets as an R1 TK.

The same thought gives me pause about modifying the TD; I'd rather build/buy a new one for EIB/Centurion approval, in case R1 TKs do it this style now.

Edited by Astyanax