Anovos TK armor preorder

They know about this thread, and we know about their group. Feeling stalked?  ;)

It's a fine armor and by the looks of it, it could to be approved for 501st. It's not the armor alone, but how it looks on you that is the important thing here.

The "issues" if you may call them that is; Thermal Detonator and Belt /holster.

Thermal Detonator: the metal clips are on the wrong place, but it's only a problem when applying for the higher level of accuracy. Entry is a.o.k.

Belt / holster: The hoslter is attached to the belt with four rivets, which is the hero version. The stunt, which most TKs are, uses only two. That is also stated in the CRL

" The holster is affixed with only two fasteners at the bottom (one per strap). "

Meaning it has to be changed. How you would like to do this is up to you.

lol, echo

Option "B", $30 for a new belt from Kittell 

lol, echo

There will be a lot more repeating in this 64 pages long thread ;)

I'm reading that quite a few want to try patching the holes themselves - what'YA'think about that?

There will be a lot more repeating in this 64 pages long thread ;)

I'm reading that quite a few want to try patching the holes themselves - what'YA'think about that?

I don't see why not, that's what I did for a rookie mistake I made. Found some identical fabric, cut out a square swatch, glued it over the hole, made it through approvals. As long as it looks clean I'm ok with it.

Heck maybe I'll make a detailed tutorial how to do it, NOT!  ;)

I think the very first ANH Centurion stormtrooper approved, former Deployement Officer and former Detachement Leader, has two holes in his belt due to a bad holster fastening, yet no one stressed too much about it. 

To be clear, there is absolutely nothing to worry about if you're belt has extra holes into it. Some belts you can see on ANH screencaps have holes into them because of ripped off holsters.

Edited by The5thHorseman
  • Like 1

lol, echo

Kittell belts look AMAZING!!! I've done a few costumes, so I'm comfortable using a sewing machine, however, I don't know if I can achieve something this bad @ss! I may end up ordering one of his.

As for the TD clips, I imagine we can fill the gaps with green stuff, paint the holes so they aren't noticeable, assemble the clips correctly and call it a day, no?

• Like 2

How is that a very poor effort? I mean, yes, they took some liberties, cleaned up the whole thing and stuff but I'd like to know what leads you to say that? I know you are an expert on the matter so there might be stuff jumping at you that a noob like me can't see...

In all my years of vacuum forming ABS I have never had to manhandle the plastic as seen in the clip. They also have wire across the plastic to try to somehow reduce the webbing. It looks like a really amateurish attempt at vacuum forming and not very professional.

The form suffered webbing on the forehead so that piece was trash. The shape of the forming tool is very weird as well. And I am not referring to the actual trooper helmet - it's the rest of it that is very strange' to say the least. I would have thought with guys like MonCal and KW on the team who know a thing or two about vacuum forming, things would be better. I would be embarrassed to show that video and I am surprised they did.

• Like 6

Not that this is really helpful or anything, but I contactedCWFBSORNTACP support about the two issues and got this back:

Thank you for presenting these concerns. However, the four rivet attachment is meant to make the holster sturdier, as two won't cut it (and past safety testing) -- if the end-user wants to modify after the fact, that's completely up to them. 

As for the clips on the TD, these can be moved and relocated if need be.  
Edited by Astyanax

Paul, I think they are looking to deal with generic folk. They will sell a lot of kits to people who are after basic approval. It is a licensed product, and that is he end of the discusion.
CWFBSORNTACP are not high end, and never will be. They are the modern FX. The kit will look great. We have all heard that magical phrase from FX kit owners, " the kids don't know the difference, a Stormtrooper is a Stormtrooper". It is still a vast improvement on what the standards were 8 years ago when I joined.

Edited by davej

As for the TD clips, I imagine we can fill the gaps with green stuff, paint the holes so they aren't noticeable, assemble the clips correctly and call it a day, no?

That's pretty much the thought process I had. The grey for the ab buttons is probably a close enough match too.

Not sure if I'll make or buy a new belt yet. Will see how hard it is to get the fabric I need I guess.

I think the very first ANH Centurion stormtrooper approved, former Deployement Officer and former Detachement Leader, has two holes in his belt due to a bad holster fastening, yet no one stressed too much about it. 

To be clear, there is absolutely nothing to worry about if you're belt has extra holes into it. Some belts you can see on ANH screencaps have holes into them because of ripped off holsters.

Yup! One of holes I made was too large, so the rivet tore free through the fabric so I had to re-do the hole for the rivet+snap combo.

I have since replaced the whole belt unit. But that was for completely different reasons.

• Like 1

In all my years of vacuum forming ABS I have never had to manhandle the plastic as seen in the clip. They also have wire across the plastic to try to somehow reduce the webbing. It looks like a really amateurish attempt at vacuum forming and not very professional.

The form suffered webbing on the forehead so that piece was trash. The shape of the forming tool is very weird as well. And I am not referring to the actual trooper helmet - it's the rest of it that is very strange' to say the least. I would have thought with guys like MonCal and KW on the team who know a thing or two about vacuum forming, things would be better. I would be embarrassed to show that video and I am surprised they did.

Paul I have to utmost respect for you and your armor however, maybe you should cut these guys a little slack. :huh: I'm pretty certain nobody's armor comes out perfect the first time. Sly and myself just approved the first Centurion in WTF armor, though it wasn't as sanitized as TM, it's still respectable armor. This goes for everyone, maybe we should hold off on the condemning judgement until it's seen in the flesh. There's a great deal of new troopers reading this thread, some spent every cent they had to buy a set of this armor. A little encouragement goes a long way. 

• Like 8

I was waiting for that response. I got the same message the last time I commented in this thread. The blind leading the blind.

Over and out! Move along......

I guess I'll humbly take that as a compliment

• Like 1

Getting back to my last comment, and lets face it, I'm an elitist bastard, I don't expect ANOVOS  to produce a great kit. I expect that they will produce a so so kit. I would rather order a kit from Paul, or RS props, and know that I'm buying a quality kit, not crowdfunding an unknown something.

I make clips... bra.. I have owned TM jesse clips.  I thinkCWFBSORNTACP should have another run of replacement TD's...  JUST SAYIN!

http://us2.campaign-archive2.com/?u=d364b6e2ca1099fb0335fbecd&id=4dcad00b76

Vern,

I was just going to post about the "TD" I would thought out of the whole kit, that would be the easiest for them to fix?

Andy

I was waiting for that response. I got the same message the last time I commented in this thread. The blind leading the blind.

Over and out! Move along......

Sorry that you are facing any kind of backlash for sharing your opinion... I, for one, would like to thank you for your explanations. I know nothing about vacuum forming, so I had no idea they were being rough with the pieces.

I guess part of that may just be that vetted makers care and love what they do, while those are being mass produced by people in a Chinese factory for whom this is only a job. I hope it turns out ok, I really do!

• Like 1

Let me be clear folks, I'm not shaming anyone here for voicing their opinion, critiquing other armor manufacturers or build styles I just saying until the armor is IN OUR HANDS maybe we should lighted the harsh sediments. :peace:   

• Like 5

I've never had any experience with vacuum forming, so I really don't know what I'm looking at or for when it comes to those videos. Would someone be willing to link a video of a more professional vacuum forming effort? I think I see what Paul means about the "webbing" and the "manhandling," but I don't have any idea how that's different from a more experienced effort to vacuum form.

Webbing is when the plastic sort of sticks to itself instead of being flat against the mould. It often makes sort of "sails" of plastic sticking straight out of the mould

I'm not too worried about anything I've seen. Getting excited for the build. 

1) the TD is acceptable per the CRL for basic, and can be changed for higher levels. 

2) The belt/holster, small patches behind the open holes on the belt will be just fine. Even if there were holes, there's nothing in the CRL that says holes can't exist. Only that there are a max two attachments. But still, patches will be fine and won't even be noticeable. 

To put it in perspective: 

We have troopers walking around with 4-5" wide gaps between the ab and kidney plates, a couple of 1mm holes in a belt shouldn't stop anyone from being approved. 

• Like 3

very glad I cancelled my white and black CWFBSORNTACP tk preorders.

love the CWFBSORNTACP edit

really just posting forCWFBSORNTACP to be changed

anovos CWFBSORNTACPCWFBSORNTACP lol

but yeah still very glad I cancelled.  as a GML will be a rough time when these guys start applying and I explain the belt and td at the very least to them.

Edited by rhapsodyred99
  • Like 2