Anovos TK armor preorder

Won't be long before threads with ANOVOS in the title will be filled with wonderful photos of builds in progress.<br><br>

Very exciting times for Star Wars fans - more so for us, because we've got all kinds of new costumes (and costume makers) to build, discuss, and gawk at. :)

Agreed. Many more threads and new members joining us! (and more potential members for the IPM :0Lighten: )

• Like 3

So an update I spotted on the Anovos page today about the TK armor, apparently the licensor did not approve the Dec. update so they had to go through and make a new update.

So an update I spotted on the Anovos page today about the TK armor, apparently the licensor did not approve the Dec. update so they had to go through and make a new update.

Not quite accurate. From what I read, they approved, but, well, it wasn't December anymore, so they're making a new one with info that was added during the time they were waiting.

This armor is too sharp

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

Enter Negatron McNaysayer!

-Eric

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 6

Enter Negatron McNaysayer!

-Eric

Ypu hurt my feelings. I will tell on you.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I think the intention here is that Lucas envisioned the hero armor to be the "ideal" and the stunt to be the cheap, simpler version. The idea of fewer teeth, bubble lenses, etc., were intended to be the "main" version. And since the stunt armor for the most part was intended to be for more distance shots (or at least for briefer shots), the more expensive and hard-to-see-through bubble lenses were tossed. More teeth at a distance helps make the frown look sufficiently prominent. You don't need that up close or for a longer exposure.

So think of the hero armor as the primary look, and the stunt for distance or brief shots. Ironically, I think it's the stunt armor that got more published coverage, so now, many see the stunt armor as the more "in-universe" version. I know I prefer it.

The lens difference makes sense. The difference in the frown still seems odd. The idea that the stunt needed a larger frown because of the distance may be an explanation, but that certainly doesn't fit with how they used the stunt helmets.

Other than the lenses, I can't think of anything that actually makes the stunt version better for stunts. Things like weapons are way more obvious. The stunt version of weapons frequently look really bad up close. Ironically, someone would probably be rejected for 501st approval if they tried to use most screen used stunt items. They generally aren't meant to be seen up close.

The arguments about the number of rivets on the holster seem a little odd. I understand the ones with two rivets generally went with stunt armor and the ones with four rivets generally went with hero armor, but it appears they didn't always keep them as complete distinct sets of armor during filming. The film makers didn't seem to care what combination appeared on screen, but people trying to make screen accurate armor do care.

The lens difference makes sense. The difference in the frown still seems odd. The idea that the stunt needed a larger frown because of the distance may be an explanation, but that certainly doesn't fit with how they used the stunt helmets.

Other than the lenses, I can't think of anything that actually makes the stunt version better for stunts. Things like weapons are way more obvious. The stunt version of weapons frequently look really bad up close. Ironically, someone would probably be rejected for 501st approval if they tried to use most screen used stunt items. They generally aren't meant to be seen up close.

The arguments about the number of rivets on the holster seem a little odd. I understand the ones with two rivets generally went with stunt armor and the ones with four rivets generally went with hero armor, but it appears they didn't always keep them as complete distinct sets of armor during filming. The film makers didn't seem to care what combination appeared on screen, but people trying to make screen accurate armor do care.

The stunt trooper armour or suit was used for far away shots, the hero, was used for close ups... What Stormtrooper helmets would look like we're the hero helmets, not stunt, this is how they should have looked close up. The added teeth were, like what was said before, so the frown would still be pronounced from far away. The 3 screws in ears, instead of two, didn't matter, because from a. Distance, no one would notice. Small details didn't have to be there, for those too would not be too noticeable from a distance. The higher brow vs the lower brow and such...

I understand the love of screen accurate replicas, flaws included. I prefer a more real world look. I know some might call sacrilige but I feel tweaking it a bit definetly improves the overall idea and look of what the original prop makers had in mind.

From a costuming point of view there might not be any issues considering idealized props, armors and helmets, but from a prop collector point of view accuracy and trying to obtain it as well as possible is very important.

• Like 2

From a costuming point of view there might not be any issues considering idealized props, armors and helmets, but from a prop collector point of view accuracy and trying to obtain it as well as possible is very important.

Exactly. If I were building this kit to go on a mannequin to be displayed I'd agonize over every detail, and ensure everything was as close to screen accurate as possible. But since I'm wearing it I want it to be functional (that is, as a costume, as comfortable and durable as possible) and I'm willing to sacrifice some of that accuracy for functionality. 4 rivits on the belt instead of 2? Great, less of a chance the holster rips out if some little kid decides to give it a yank. Sharp details over soft? Cool, makes it look much less home grown more manufactured and intimidating.

The point of costuming/cosplay and prop replication are not the same, there is some overlap but the two have very different end goals.

Edited by pyromastermuaddib
  • Like 4

Exactly. For display personally I'd like the best and most accurate out there, but for trooping the most comfortable but still reasonably accurate. I think Anovos fills in the gap of licensed armor, because Rubies is not what I'd call a Stormtrooper armor, unless adding the term "clown" somewhere. So Anovos might not be the most accurate out there, but could be very good for trooping, since it is made by a costuming company.

• Like 1

Exactly. For display personally I'd like the best and most accurate out there, but for trooping the most comfortable but still reasonably accurate. I think Anovos fills in the gap of licensed armor, because Rubies is not what I'd call a Stormtrooper armor, unless adding the term "clown" somewhere. So Anovos might not be the most accurate out there, but could be very good for trooping, since it is made by a costuming company.

Sharper lines do not make this armor any more or less comfortable than any fan kits. The shape of those parts or the way they're trimmed might make a difference but not the detailing on the faceplate and such. It makes a difference aesthetically and that comes down to personal preference. I do hope however that it won't affect approval and/or access to EIB status... But, the holster will need fixing, that much we know. The rest is up in the air! Edited by =Sv3=
  • Like 1

...The idea that the stunt needed a larger frown because of the distance may be an explanation, but that certainly doesn't fit with how they used the stunt helmets.

Completely agree, but even the up-close shots of stunt troopers are very brief ones, so you can get away with it. The shots of Luke and Han in hero armor are very long ones, so you have lots of time to mull the details. But whoever was directing the movie (not sure who) was not really consistent about how hero vs. stunt was to be used, nor was he a stickler for keeping the details consistent (such as Mr. No Stripes and the other anomalies).

mrnostripes.jpg

Edited by Astyanax

2051 replies to this topic. I need to go look and see if this is the most responded to thread. 2051 posts of... so very little.

I love you guys/gals.

And I am terrified for the day that people start receiving their kits. Our poor web server!

-Eric

• Like 5

2051 replies to this topic. I need to go look and see if this is the most responded to thread. 2051 posts of... so very little.

I love you guys/gals.

And I am terrified for the day that people start receiving their kits. Our poor web server!

-Eric

I hope some guy named Finn is post 2187

If I were building this kit to go on a mannequin to be displayed I'd agonize over every detail, and ensure everything was as close to screen accurate as possible.

Not in everyones opinion.  :D

Maybe it´s due to my view that i don´t consider those plastic stuff the same important as props created from real parts, but i want my Anovos (which is for display on a mannequin and not to run around in it) as sanitized as possible. No matter if it´s for display or wearing it, the original trooper movie armor looks as shabby as it was possible to achieve, a blind an drunken monkey with only a knife and a hammer would have probably done a better job.

I couldn´t bring myself to accept that pieces of crap, not to wear it and not for display. So i need to have something i can look at without my eyes bleeding. That´s why i hope for Anovos.

LOL, just think of it as a magnet, pulling most of the mindless comments away from the other, more useful threads. There are worse threads to be venting in. :)

It's the "Night Before Christmas" excitement, and the kids won't go to sleep so Santa can come already...

• Like 3