Anovos TK armor preorder

It's always dictated by personal preference and there's always a balance between what the camera filmed and what I (we) saw on screen. 

Without getting into semantics too much, "Screen Accurate" to me is what I first saw saw on the screen in '77 and after even on VHS (long before Blue Ray). For example I never saw white duct tape, but it's there and I see no mad rush to add white tape to our armor.

Case in point - I made a Jawa for my daughter and used black gaffers tape on the mask as was used on set. It looked awful IRL. I swapped it for a fabric wrap and then I saw what I saw on screen.

And there is the point I always make when this kind of discussion comes about, (highlighted in red for clarity) where do we draw the line between screen accurate and well, that just looks stupid. I am not adding white duct / gaffers tape or anything like that to my armor so let's be a little less screen accurate for the sake of wear ability and look.

We are supposed to look the part to the masses and I know we do a great job with that, We keep out the Rubies and people in cardboard boxes without heavy modification; however before we say "Anovos is setting our hobby back years or that we should break out our fx suits," let's get them in our hands, we still haven't gotten a close look at the final product and those kinds of statements, although I understand the nature of our community and our constant push for screen accuracy, are broad baseless statements that may drive people away from our community altogether. Branding us as unhelpful elitists which believe me isn't good for anyone. Some of our brothers still have fx suits just replaced the helmet. 

• Like 3

Hey Mark, I'm Sorry I offended you.

My intention was not to school one of the most educated and informed members on this forum as you clearly are, by your pedigree.

I'm guessing there are a lot of first time troopers eagerly watching these posts looking for what ever new developments they can find. And there are a lot of old school masters like yourself as well. This was a general statement aimed at everyone. Hopefully we can all learn a thing or two.

I guess I welcome Anovos because they are allowing more fans to realize the dream of being a trooper for the first time, me included. I was 14 when the first movie came out and I still get excited when I see a trooper today. Personally I love the look of the sharp lines and I have spent hours looking at all the different iterations of the helmets from all the movies.

I imagine because of the immense numbers of armor they are pulling from these molds that the aluminum was a practical solution. I would be curious to see if the first pulls are as sharp as the 10,000th pull.

The landscape of making props and costumes is changing all over the world in every aspect. Perfectly symmetrical props, helmets and armor due to CAD, 3D, CNC, Etc... is the wave for now unless there comes a time when people prefer a more imperfect feel. You don't have to embrace it but it's here like it or not.

Thanks for your contribution to the craft and this site!

No offence taken. :)
  • Like 2

Probably Rogue One will wash away all this bitter polemic and both worlds would then become canon. Then it would be only a matter of taste: old style vs new style. Both good and welcome. I don't see real opposition. I like the two of them. Old time armors got me for the empire and new gears look the way I imagined stormtroopers would be back then. My first kit is going to be an Anovos and can't find any reason to be ashame of that. If I finally get the skills and confidence to build it right, enought space and the approval of my wife, this would be surely the beginning of more than a hobby and sooner o later I will aim for an old time suit. Having both with their pros and cons, having the knowledge to appreciate them in their greatness and weakness.<br>

To me is more like having a good e-11, I mean a good one, one that looks great... And also a real sterling conversion. Don't see why I have to choose one over the other. One is an object to display and honor the original Star Wars universe. The other is to use and keep that spirit up to date.<br>

Both are two sides of the same story, I guess.<br>

Don't know guys. Just my two cents...

If the final product is "too sharp", how long until someone takes a heat gun to it to soften the edges?

Once again I'm dubious that the Anovos is sharp. Here is pic from their website

c79a2e47642fcb99ac65acb987096c22.jpg

This is a pic from Instagram where the person says its Anovos he got for review on tested.com.

7629ae3938ddacec2a5b7dd45b5efeda.jpg

This is a HUGE difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And don´t let´s forget one thing:

The situation is now that there is a licensed armor on the market. If someone likes it look or not is a personal decision - but if the buyers of that armor are feeling bad treated by the 501st "group", or if sale numbers are not met due to forcing 501st wannabes to buy other stuff to get approval - those complaints could be brought often enough to Disney so that they decide the 501st and the accompanied armor maker are no longer wanted. And when the mouse decides to hunt them down with all the power they have, for sure it would come to a situation that noone here really wants.

Armor makers that only could work in secret, with very low numbers selling, hard to get sa armor - that would be a situation that noone wants and what noone really helps.

So i assume it might be better to wait what REALLY is delivered by Anovos, before stirring the stew to much and maybe cause unneccessary things.

And don´t let´s forget one thing:

The situation is now that there is a licensed armor on the market. If someone likes it look or not is a personal decision - but if the buyers of that armor are feeling bad treated by the 501st "group", or if sale numbers are not met due to forcing 501st wannabes to buy other stuff to get approval - those complaints could be brought often enough to Disney so that they decide the 501st and the accompanied armor maker are no longer wanted. And when the mouse decides to hunt them down with all the power they have, for sure it would come to a situation that noone here really wants.

Armor makers that only could work in secret, with very low numbers selling, hard to get sa armor - that would be a situation that noone wants and what noone really helps.

So i assume it might be better to wait what REALLY is delivered by Anovos, before stirring the stew to much and maybe cause unneccessary things.

There is no copyright on the OT props. Sds proved that. Not in the EU anyway. LFL did not put any artistic copyright on them so all Disney can do now is copyright the new stuff. You cannot enforce a copyright if there isn't one.

I don't think the 501st or "underground " vendors are slagging Anovos off as such but you cannot blame us for criticising it. It is from what we can see on the pics posted far too sharp. We all speak out when something is too soft. It's the same but different. Hahahaha

• Like 2

There is no copyright on the OT props. Sds proved that. Not in the EU anyway. LFL did not put any artistic copyright on them so all Disney can do now is copyright the new stuff. You cannot enforce a copyright if there isn't one.

I wonder how the rogue one armour will change that. Does it give them a fresh chance to copyright it?

NOT for the EU, only in the UK. It´s due to the strange "industrial design" loophole in UK laws.

And if Disney starts to enforce their rights, the customs will help them and not let unlicensed stuff into countries.

Then those stuff will only be easily available in the UK, at all other countries the buyers would have to fear to loose their money - some orders may go through, others will be seized. Will the makers take the risk, or is it on the buyers account when the stuff is catched and destroyed?

I wonder how the rogue one armour will change that. Does it give them a fresh chance to copyright it?

Not for the old, but for the new stuff.

Really interesting it will be when the new stuff looks as the old one with small differencies - will the custom officers know enough about SW to recognize the difference, or will they just seize everything that looks similar, and you have to prove your stuff is "old stuff"?

NOT for the EU, only in the UK. It´s due to the strange "industrial design" loophole in UK laws.

And if Disney starts to enforce their rights, the customs will help them and not let unlicensed stuff into countries.

Then those stuff will only be easily available in the UK, at all other countries the buyers would have to fear to loose their money - some orders may go through, others will be seized. Will the makers take the risk, or is it on the buyers account when the stuff is catched and destroyed?

I think we are stepping a little into the unknown here. All this is negative conjecture.
  • Like 1

Not for the old, but for the new stuff.

Really interesting it will be when the new stuff looks as the old one with small differencies - will the custom officers know enough about SW to recognize the difference, or will they just seize everything that looks similar, and you have to prove your stuff is "old stuff"?

Again all speculation.

The picture on the website is the same picture they had up at the beginning of this process. That's a prototype picture. It even says that in the black text up the side.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Yes I do realize it said prototype. I was still surprised that there would be that much a of a departure from the prototype. I'm very new to all this so maybe that is par for the course.

I think we are stepping a little into the unknown here. All this is negative conjecture.

^This

But a fine cure for insomnia.

-Eric

• Like 1

The picture on the website is the same picture they had up at the beginning of this process. That's a prototype picture. It even says that in the black text up the side.

The prototype pictures most likely are not the Anovos kit at all. That is a legitimate concern with how they are handling the orders. It is very difficult to know what you will get since the actual product isn't pictured and some people want to know specific details of the product before ordering. I would have preferred that they added more photos of the actual product like some of the photos they had in the newsletter updates.

I wonder if the Shadowtrooper armor from the Tested YouTube video is the Anovos design.

Unless we, or anyone, are from ANOVOS on this site.. What they have posted, and what is and isn't there, or what their practices are, it's all speculation... Wait for the product to be in someone's hands for review... Until then, everything being discussed is pure speculation, and when the armour is in people's hands, of its beyond expectations, people will be saying, "why did I misjudge?" Or if the product is bad, well, make a TD or a death trooper... Both are 501st approvable.

• Like 2

Actually, the 501st is about the most screen (seen) accuracy (as opposed to prop replication) that we can get, and this forum being part of the 501st continues that mission. You are right, if it looks overly sharp compared to what we saw on screen, it's a step down, not up. This is why perfectly symmetrical helmets always seem a bit off to use as well.So, you have it right Mark. If anyone is uncertain, it's well worth re-reading both the 501st and FISD charters.

I have also been looking into Imperial Officer uniforms. The impression I get on their forums is they sometimes go against screen used accuracy for consistency. The rank bars are an example.

The classic Stormtrooper approach seems much more screen accuracy focus even if the accuracy doesn't make sense in the Star Wars universe. An example is the distinction between stunt and hero armor. The empire would not have issued armor with those slight differences as distinct uniforms. I never understood why they sculpted a slightly different helmet for the hero costumes. It doesn't appear to be better built, it's just a slightly different design. Usually stunt props are cheaper, more practical for stunts, or some other advantage but I can't think of any advantages to using the stunt vs hero stormtrooper costumes during filming.

Ok I just remembered that they actually showed some of the raw parts from the factory. Kind of like a sneek peek in one of the news letters.

Clearly it's the "sharper lines" version and nothing like the prototype.bb3d4c6704a86c4ee019d1269d752c5c.jpg

Clearly it's the "sharper lines" version pictured in the Instagram post and not anything like the prototype on the website. Here are some additional pics of the armor too.

fbb33dbd94ebf2ba09126dbf529d5e70.jpgc86cdec3dbfb74e1cf68a0aeb16baa46.jpg1cca1fbd9fb4bff2b4f8d1140b66972f.jpg

Edited by biogradbooth
  • Like 2

I never understood why they sculpted a slightly different helmet for the hero costumes. It doesn't appear to be better built, it's just a slightly different design. Usually stunt props are cheaper, more practical for stunts, or some other advantage but I can't think of any advantages to using the stunt vs hero stormtrooper costumes during filming.

I think the intention here is that Lucas envisioned the hero armor to be the "ideal" and the stunt to be the cheap, simpler version. The idea of fewer teeth, bubble lenses, etc., were intended to be the "main" version. And since the stunt armor for the most part was intended to be for more distance shots (or at least for briefer shots), the more expensive and hard-to-see-through bubble lenses were tossed. More teeth at a distance helps make the frown look sufficiently prominent. You don't need that up close or for a longer exposure.

So think of the hero armor as the primary look, and the stunt for distance or brief shots. Ironically, I think it's the stunt armor that got more published coverage, so now, many see the stunt armor as the more "in-universe" version. I know I prefer it.

Edited by Astyanax
  • Like 2

Won't be long before threads with ANOVOS in the title will be filled with wonderful photos of builds in progress.<br><br>

Very exciting times for Star Wars fans - more so for us, because we've got all kinds of new costumes (and costume makers) to build, discuss, and gawk at. :)

• Like 6

Won't be long before threads with ANOVOS in the title will be filled with wonderful photos of builds in progress.<br><br>

Very exciting times for Star Wars fans - more so for us, because we've got all kinds of new costumes (and costume makers) to build, discuss, and gawk at. :)

.... and approval threads  :shok:

I may have to start drinking coffee :pint1: by the gallons.

• Like 3