Anovos TK armor preorder

I have nothing at all against screen accurate replicas. I personally have never been interested in exactly replicating any movie prop as props are usually pretty shoddy when you see them up close. I feel that staying true to the integrity of the design doesn't always mean having to wear a crooked helmet.. I find it disparaging when people choose one side or another. It's all in the craftdom. With no disrespect to screen accurate choices. My choice is to replicate something close to what the empire would of actually put out in the field in the world it is set in. That said we still don't know what anovos will actually produce. But I don't feel that if they do mass produce a quality set it will cheapen the hobby at all but instead infuse it.

• Like 2

It's always dictated by personal preference and there's always a balance between what the camera filmed and what I (we) saw on screen. 

Without getting into semantics too much, "Screen Accurate" to me is what I first saw saw on the screen in '77 and after even on VHS (long before Blue Ray). For example I never saw white duct tape, but it's there and I see no mad rush to add white tape to our armor.

Case in point - I made a Jawa for my daughter and used black gaffers tape on the mask as was used on set. It looked awful IRL. I swapped it for a fabric wrap and then I saw what I saw on screen.

I have a Franken-kit, mostly FX, MTK lid, RT Mod thighs chest and backplate. I'm in this pic below on the right. I also ordered an Anovos kit and I'm excited to see the final product. My personal verdict is still out for me though as the lines do look very clean and sharp. More than I am used to so I'll just have to get it into my hands and in front of my eyes to see what's what.

1%203_zpsiyxexpoe.jpg

• Like 5

IMO, the asymmetry of the movie props is what gives the TKs their look, not the bumps and flaws. For example, the symmetrical EFX lids just don't look right. Everyone knows it's a Stormtrooper, but something is just...off. People don't have symmetrical faces, and TK lids should not, either. We all grew accustomed to what we saw on screen: an asymmetric helmet.

As far as sharp versus soft...I'm okay with either, with a slight preference toward sharpness. The sharper lines do make it look more menacing, IMO.  I do prefer the surface finish of the lid to be smooth like the hero props. I don't really want random bumps on the dome. That's fine for a cheaply made background prop for one day of filming, but not something I'd want to spend my hard-earned money on.

According to all the pictures I've seen, this Anovos TK lid hits the sweet spot for me. An asymmetric stunt lid appearance with the finish of a hero prop (if I manage to put it together the right way).

OOOOOOO!!!!!! MY FIRST POST!

Edited by JawaJoe
  • Like 5

I have agree with you. I'm always for symmetry and perfection. It drives people around me crazy with my OCD-like attention to detail but it allows me to sleep at nights.

Not that I have anything against those who prefer movie accuracy.

I have CDO. It's like OCD, but the letters are in alphabetical order. AS THEY SHOULD BE  :lol:

• Like 2

It seems to me that the huge rush to order and pay for the Anavos armour is dumbing down our hobby tremendously . We have spent the last few years with screen accurate armour available ( ss skunky, RS Propmasters ) and we are rushing lemming like into non screen accurate tat , mainly because of the cheap price . Anavos is setting our hobby back years , we might as well all dig out our ancient FX suits and give up on screen accurate all together .

This forum is better than Anavos.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sorry to be a part of dumbing down your exclusive hobby. I hope you'll accept me anyway...

Edited by Astyanax
  • Like 9

Compare to the original Stunt helmets, which is what this is modeled after and I think you'll find that this helmet is an incredible likeness. They managed to retain the original assymetry but clean up all of the bumps and lumps that would have never existed if they had the budget and time to clean up. Other prop makers have replicated exactly what was on screen but they are ugly as hell, bumps and all. If thats what you want you can buy it. These are great looking in my humble opinion.

Here is a link to photos of the original stunt helmets for comparison

http://starwarshelmets.com/original-ANH-Stunt-Stormtrooper-armor-helmets.htm

Thanks. I am well aware what original stunt helmets look like. :lol:

I'm afraid you are trying to teach a granny to suck eggs. :laugh1:

I have a whole page dedicated to the armour and helmets I have released on starwarshelmets. I have moulds of 7 original helmets 2 x ANH, 1 x ESB MKii and 4 x ROTJ. I own an ESB tour Vader helmet and have moulds taken from an ESB stunt Vader armour. I love the originals and all their asymmetry. I'm not trying to show off, just giving you a bit of my background. I worked in a prop company making props for the movies, Star Wars included.

I'm not saying Anovos aren't producing a great product just overly sharp in my opinion. In fact razor sharp. Their moulds are cnc'd aluminium made from scans not cast from original helmets. This technology wasn't around when Star Wars was made. There is no lineage as such. My comments were that as Rob says that this forum used to be all about screen accuracy but with Anovos and EFX etc bringing out sharp cleaned up idealised albeit asymmetrical helmets the foundation of this place is beginning to change. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion of course but we all spent many years here trying to replicate Stormtrooper armour to be exactly like the originals. Which incidentally was as rough as F***. :P

• Like 2

Thanks. I am well aware what original stunt helmets look like. :lol:

I'm afraid you are trying to teach a granny to suck eggs. :laugh1:

I have a whole page dedicated to the armour and helmets I have released on starwarshelmets. I have moulds of 7 original helmets 2 x ANH, 1 x ESB MKii and 4 x ROTJ. I own an ESB tour Vader helmet and have moulds taken from an ESB stunt Vader armour. I love the originals and all their asymmetry. I'm not trying to show off, just giving you a bit of my background. I worked in a prop company making props for the movies, Star Wars included.

I'm not saying Anovos aren't producing a great product just overly sharp in my opinion. In fact razor sharp. Their moulds are cnc'd aluminium made from scans not cast from original helmets. This technology wasn't around when Star Wars was made. There is no lineage as such. My comments were that as Rob says that this forum used to be all about screen accuracy but with Anovos and EFX etc bringing out sharp cleaned up idealised albeit asymmetrical helmets the foundation of this place is beginning to change. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion of course but we all spent many years here trying to replicate Stormtrooper armour to be exactly like the originals. Which incidentally was as rough as F***. :P

Hey Mark, I'm Sorry I offended you. 

My intention was not to school one of the most educated and informed members on this forum as you clearly are, by your pedigree.

I'm guessing there are a lot of first time troopers eagerly watching these posts looking for what ever new developments they can find. And there are a lot of old school masters like yourself as well. This was a general statement aimed at everyone. Hopefully we can all learn a thing or two.

I guess I welcome Anovos because they are allowing more fans to realize the dream of being a trooper for the first time, me included. I was 14 when the first movie came out and I still get excited when I see a trooper today. Personally I love the look of the sharp lines and I have spent hours looking at all the different iterations of the helmets from all the movies. 

I imagine because of the immense numbers of armor they are pulling from these molds that the aluminum was a practical solution. I would be curious to see if the first pulls are as sharp as the 10,000th pull.

The landscape of making props and costumes is changing all over the world in every aspect. Perfectly symmetrical props, helmets and armor due to CAD, 3D, CNC, Etc... is the wave for now unless there comes a time when people prefer a more imperfect feel. You don't have to embrace it but it's here like it or not.

Thanks for your contribution to the craft and this site!

Edited by vinmanmac
  • Like 2

I think this comes down to some people wanting replicas of the screen used props and others wanting replicas of what the screen used prop was meant to represent. The screen used props had bumps and blemishes because they only needed something good enough to get the shots. Quality of the props in the 70s and early 80s was less critical than it is now with much higher resolution images.<br><br>

The empire would not have issued armor with all of the bumps and blemishes the props had.<br><br>

I prefer replicas of what the props were intended to represent not what the actual prop looked like.<br><br>

It is interesting to see how bad some of the actual props look in person, but that isn't what I want to display.

• Like 3

My comments were that as Rob says that this forum used to be all about screen accuracy but with Anovos and EFX etc bringing out sharp cleaned up idealised albeit asymmetrical helmets the foundation of this place is beginning to change.

Actually, the 501st is about the most screen (seen) accuracy (as opposed to prop replication) that we can get, and this forum being part of the 501st continues that mission. You are right, if it looks overly sharp compared to what we saw on screen, it's a step down, not up. This is why perfectly symmetrical helmets always seem a bit off to use as well.

So, you have it right Mark. If anyone is uncertain, it's well worth re-reading both the 501st and FISD charters.

• Like 3

I think this comes down to some people wanting replicas of the screen used props and others wanting replicas of what the screen used prop was meant to represent. The screen used props had bumps and blemishes because they only needed something good enough to get the shots. Quality of the props in the 70s and early 80s was less critical than it is now with much higher resolution images.<br><br>

The empire would not have issued armor with all of the bumps and blemishes the props had.<br><br>

I prefer replicas of what the props were intended to represent not what the actual prop looked like.<br><br>

It is interesting to see how bad some of the actual props look in person, but that isn't what I want to display.

hahaha you haven't seen close ups of screen used TFA TK armor have you? It's kind of a running joke with those that have  ;). Almost 40 years later and the Empire is still having a hard time making quality battle armor it seems lol 

FYI, I'll start to delete/mod posts that are not on topic. Talking about deer meat is not relevant.

But I like deer meat  ;)

• Like 3

It seems to me that the huge rush to order and pay for the Anavos armour is dumbing down our hobby tremendously . We have spent the last few years with screen accurate armour available ( ss skunky, RS Propmasters ) and we are rushing lemming like into non screen accurate tat , mainly because of the cheap price . Anavos is setting our hobby back years , we might as well all dig out our ancient FX suits and give up on screen accurate all together .

This forum is better than Anavos.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Having seen the awesome talent from the established makers of RS Propmasters, would you say the same quote if RS was a new company? I mean, if RS started today and gave a low initial price to help offset future production costs, would you have given the same 'lemming and dumming down' statement? Without a completed product, guessing is our best option. Your statement seems a little unfair to the droves of future troopers that purchased a 'possible' great product. You are basing you statement off of the initial price. This will be my second kit (AP was my first), and I'm excited to see the all new members! Let the hazing begin lol! J/K! Edited by Fiddlers Green
  • Like 2

FYI, I'll start to delete/mod posts that are not on topic. Talking about deer meat is not relevant.

That was exactly the point. :) I was adding some levity per Eric's suggestion...I figured it was time again.

refer to page 91, post #1802.

Edited by aramis

If they're too sharp, can't we just recast? :P And the ROTJ troopers are (arguably) closest to what Lucas thought a "real" TK would look like, not hero, stunt, or ESB, which all have Philips head screws and other hardware from our own galaxy. As for screen accuracy, Anovos might look great on late '70s film.