Anovos TK armor preorder

I just want to ask this. I know we won't have all the details until we have the armor in our hands and our experts take a look at it but do you think the ANOVOS kit has the potential (with some mods like the belt) to be 501st approved?

Basic approval? Yeah, I don't see why not. 

• Like 1

It would have to be a crazy awful suit not to have the "potential" to be approved. I think that's not a question at this point. It's much closer than a Rubie's, for example, which can also be approved with lots of work.

I think what we're all trying to figure out right now is exactly how much work and in what areas for it to be approvable.

For my money, I think this will not only be approvable with minimal modifications and a proper fit, but it might be able to hit the higher levels of certification with additional work. That's the exciting part of this.

Edited by Astyanax

The whole point of EIB is to be a standard of quality. Every EIB trooper has just as high-accuracy armor as the next. That's the point.

That's exactly what I meant when I said "quantity over quality" in reply to see a large increase of EIB's. From what I've seen so far, I don't see any reason not to have these kits be given a basic approval.. level 2 or level 3.. I don't know, I don't like it what I've seen so far. That's why, if these kits (from what we've seen so far) are ok to become lvl2, it would seem quantity over quality.. not something I'd like to see happen in all honesty.

I am taking a shot in the dark but I figured ANOVOS is getting people comfortable with the company. Their other Star Wars costumes are quite expensive 

In all honesty, the kit currently costs $650, which I think is overpriced if it is indeed as thin as people think it may be (0.60 I read elsewhere). For that price, you can get armor from a vetted maker instead, and for a little bit more you can have highly accurate armor. The kit built by them will be what, 1600 USD? I believe there's a maker in the UK who makes highly accurate armor for less than that, and builds it to your size, rather than having Anovos creating armor in generic size ranges. 

Granted, the $350 deal was a steal, but that's no longer the price. If you got in on $350, you got a nice deal for basic approval. But for anyone who still needs armor, I believe there are better places to get it.

• Like 2

That's exactly what I meant when I said "quantity over quality" in reply to see a large increase of EIB's. From what I've seen so far, I don't see any reason not to have these kits be given a basic approval.. level 2 or level 3.. I don't know, I don't like it what I've seen so far. That's why, if these kits (from what we've seen so far) are ok to become lvl2, it would seem quantity over quality.. not something I'd like to see happen in all honesty.

Just curious, on what basis would you like to see these kits rejected from EIB? Belt? Fixable. TD? Fixable. Sharp pulls? Not in the CRL. Thin plastic? Not in the CRL.

Isn't it actually a good thing that if, the EIB standards being what they are, the 501st community is indeed flooded with more EIB members? So long as the standards don't change, it's a growth that benefits all.

I don't think anyone wishes that these kits fail. It irks a lot of folks about the belt and TD but those are easily fixed or swapped out anyways. Even for $650 that's not a bad deal. I'm more concerned about them hiking it up and the cost of their TFA stuff that they will guard with an iron fist. 

What we've seen isn't really a question of quality outside of the armor thickness. It's totally possible that their armor is too thin and fragile to troop in. In that case I'd say that it is definitely low-quality armor. However, apart from the armor thickness and the two assembly problems, the big difference between this armor and other armors is a question of style. EIB and Centurion are (in my understanding) almost exclusively aesthetic standards which require screen accuracy to achieve. But that's really up to the assembler, isn't it? Someone could build their ANOVOS kit into Centurion right away and it'd be a perfect Centurion, if a little thin. On the other hand, someone could mangle their kit beyond repair and fail to meet even basic approval. It seems to be a rule of thumb that "no kit is ready for approval out of the box." These kits aren't any different, and the only quality-based question is the question of the quality of the plastic. I don't think there's any such thing as a low-quality EIB." I may be misunderstanding you.

Just curious, on what basis would you like to see these kits rejected from EIB? Belt? Fixable. TD? Fixable. Sharp pulls? Not in the CRL. Thin plastic? Not in the CRL.

Isn't it actually a good thing that if, the EIB standards being what they are, the 501st community is indeed flooded with more EIB members? So long as the standards don't change, it's a growth that benefits all.

The EIB and Centurion levels are not just how the armor is build, it is also about looks and how it is worn, neither of those requirements are listed in the CRL. I was almost denied Centurion (i think it was, unless it was EIB) because I was showing a lot of black due to my longer arms/legs. Nothing of that was in the CRL, yet it happened. 

And yes, the TD and belt are fixable, and that is something I will push for in my unit as well when they are getting their Anovos armors. I agree it is a good thing to have more EIB *and Centurions as well), but it should be quality over quantity, not the other way around, and in all honesty, I think what I've seen from the armor is quite ugly. The pulls are way too sharp, the faceplate has something I can't put my finger on but looks off, and what to think of shoulder bells (I didn't see a picture of that in this thread yet, so here's one):  

0PcCAsr.jpg

I'm sorry to say, I'm pretty negative about this armor. For $350, people have a hell of a deal. But for the current $650, it seems overpriced. It is quantity, not quality.

Yep, the sharpness of this kit is really disturbing... But by selling products from a Disney license, they must have a quality control to respect. Even if it's not the way the original armors were.

I have to say that this thread has been fun to read.   Overall it's better not to speculate, but to go on photo evidence.  Ok, so the kit looks a little sharp.  Parts are being shipped in an inaccurate format.  Did we expect anything less?

I purchased 1 full armor kit, and one extra helmet kit to update my own armor, that has aged quite a bit since 2008.

sure will be fun to make up another suit of armor.  This time I'm going for dual EIB, and TX at the same time.

• Like 2

I have to say that this thread has been fun to read. Overall it's better not to speculate, but to go on photo evidence. Ok, so the kit looks a little sharp. Parts are being shipped in an inaccurate format. Did we expect anything less?

I purchased 1 full armor kit, and one extra helmet kit to update my own armor, that has aged quite a bit since 2008.

sure will be fun to make up another suit of armor. This time I'm going for dual EIB, and TX at the same time.

I remember when people here said the prototype photos looked too soft. You know what? Maybe they were listening, a bit too hard

Anyway, I'm glad you're not dismissing it as total garbage. I mean, yeah it's no RS but it's no Rubies either. Some modifications required? Yeah, ok I can work with that! I didn't go into this expecting to get a ready to wear, all inclusive, sign here for 501st approval suit. I took the time to learn about the Rebel Legion and the 501st. I knew this included a lot more expenses on the side. I knew that you need to put work into it and that it's part of what makes it great. And I'm looking forward to all of that!

In the end, there are kits for everyone. Like the "Types of armor and where to get them" says, there is no "best" armor, there is the best for you.

Even with vetted makers, I'm looking at TD controls and buttons and it's all over the place really." You've got RS which looks like it walked off the set but you also get some that are more, uh, interesting... That's ok, it's been approved for legion membership.

As far as Anovos is concerned? So yeah, they may have fudged the "sanitize" and "sharpen" buttons a bit too hard. So what? Don't buy it then, plenty of other options out there! Could it be too thin? Maybe but I doubt it, mostly because of their reputation for putting well crafted items for other brands.

As for me, I'm comparing with other kits and I see that the general shape is very similar. It looks the part for sure. It's sharper, it's cleaner but it's still a TK. I have no doubt that once I put it on, 99,999999% percent of people will see a stormtrooper. And the guy next to me, whether is wearing ATA, AP, MTK, RS or even FX, you know what? They'll just see another TK and then they'll freak out like kids, just like I did first time I saw the guys from the 501st.

In the end, we are all in love with the costume we build because we care. Because we choose them, because we've dreamed of them, built them and invested time and money into them. Who am I to tell someone else that my kit is better than his? He has his reason for liking his, I've got my own too! And you know what? My reasons aren't only that it's a good deal, I like that it's cleaner. I like that they went the extra mile to make sure the pieces fit properly.

Thanks Vern, I was staring to get discouraged by all this negativity I read all day. If you think that this is worth building, I guess there's a good chance it won't be that bad after all...

• Like 12

To many negative ppl we need more positive.

Stay positive. We want more people to join and more tk's. Eib and centurian mean nothing to those who just want a tk. (Kinda like me as every cent I know would not be approved cent with their current suit)

Just because your tk is a little different than this one does not make it wrong. Its a licensed product. We make crls for licensed toys and this is one big toy.

For a 350 kit (when buckets are often $200) this is a great deal with only a td and belt to fix.) Cant wait to use this tk even if its not with the 501st.

Also check our audience. I have big fans run up to me in my gunner and say my vader is awesome. We are screen accurate and close enough at thr sane time. Heck im in the 501st and I have a hard time telling a rubies out from a approved suit. We are our own worst critics.

I bet if some people saw a movie used suit upgraded/fixed they would call it a (enter tk maker here) and not screen used.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

To many negative ppl we need more positive.

Stay positive.

Moar fluffy bunnies on rainbows!

This is the best time ever to be a Star Wars fan. Revel in it. Roll around in it. Get that uber-fan stink on you.

If you feel you self getting negative or vehemently speculating on something you know nothing about... Walk away from the keyboard.... Put on your costume and go make someone smile.

OR if you can't just get up and walk away how about you help someone build their stormtrooper armor? Because that, my dear troopers, is what FISD is for.

Ok. Next (less boring) topic. What troops are you doing this weekend? Who is trooping or wrangling a battlefront release Monday? I am! am! I am! I am!

-Eric

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 5

I am currently downloading Battlefront Deluxe version, should be ready to play shortly. Battle of Jakku here I come.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Who is trooping or wrangling a battlefront release Monday? I am! am! I am! I am!

-Eric

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

THIS GUY!!!

Also, for the record, Battlefront is a dream come true. It's beautiful, and more fun than even YOU can imagine. I've got five or so hours into the game, and I haven't even played all of the game modes yet. There are a good number of them, and I haven't found a bad one yet. Exciting times, indeed.

• Like 2

How are you playing his already Tim. I have the preorder download and it still says 17th November :(

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1