Anovos TK armor preorder

Not going to lie I am actually surprised that Anovos didn't send out any Coupons for the early orders. I wouldn't have minded having one for a second kit so that I could strain my already tight space for a second set to do a TD with as well.

I'm selling off my preorder as well, I can use the funds and would rather pass the savings vs just go a refund. The catch is you need to buy both of them at the same time, since I ordered 2.

Looks like we get cover strips with the widths pre-cut, maybe. 

Yes, but I'm concerned this means we won't get enough material to do inner cover strips. That's crucial, IMO.

Might need to stock up on styrene!

Edited by Astyanax

Yes, but I'm concerned this means we won't get enough material to do inner cover strips. That's crucial, IMO.

Might need to stock up on styrene!

I thought you could order extra ABS sheets off trooperbay and/or the other TK manufactures.  Being on the inside the colour match shouldn't matter as much?

I'm a little skeptical about the extensive use of velcro in the strapping system they've shown. Obviously it isn't final or else we'd have heard about it from ANOVOS, and we can really ignore their strapping system if it ends up being sub-par, but if that's the direction in which they're heading... Does anyone have experience with using that much velcro? It seems to me that putting your armor together with so much velcro is just asking for it to come undone all over the place.

I'm with Dday on this one. There is absolutely no need for inner strips, not even if you are so skinny it would not reduce the inner circumference of the shin too much for you to wear. All you need is one outer strip, butt joint the pieces, E6000 and there you go.

Well in that case I'll keep looking at alternative systems. However, if they do include those handy little elastic strapping pieces it might be easy to use something other than velcro with those... I'm thinking we could glue snap plates to them or something for snap-appropriate pieces and use completely alternative systems for armor parts that they just won't work for. Also, in their finished Shadowtrooper assembly they had the armor in way more pieces than you normally see it... The torso was (I think) in four pieces that were completely separate rather than the clamshell assembly that most seem to use. I guess it might not matter for basic certification but my understanding was that that's visible enough to impede higher-level certification.

I don't expect this kit to be perfect, and it's true that the soft armor they're providing is kind of going above and beyond what most kits come with, but... I am very worried about the aftermath of new troopers with armor falling all over the place because they used poor strapping.

I'm with Dday on this one. There is absolutely no need for inner strips, not even if you are so skinny it would not reduce the inner circumference of the shin too much for you to wear. All you need is one outer strip, butt joint the pieces, E6000 and there you go.

Well not to argue with the masters but you guys obviously haven't put together AM armor in a while. Trying to assemble overlap armor, butt and strip style is a nightmare. Using inner cover strips simplifies the process significantly. So in some instances inner cover strips are beneficial in the assembly process.

For the record this is NOT AM style armor (that we're aware of), Mathias & Dday are correct however, the only reason I use them beside reasons already mentioned is to give the interior seems a cleaner look, but that's just me so no browbeating me about it please.

Cheers

• Like 2

So much of this is subjective you just have to sort it out to your own tastes and preferences at some point.

For my part I started with snaps and have had a few fail. I make more and more use of velcro as I maintain/repair my kit. I've never, ever heard the velcro make a peep while trooping and I have it holding my legs up and together as well as on my elbows. I also use it to hold chest and back plate over my shoulders and my sides at the kidney and ab plates. 

Snaps remain connecting cod to ab (mine is cut), butt plate to kidney (also cut) as well as backplate to kidney though on that I reinforced the snaps with velcro to keep them from popping.

I also used both inner and outer strips on legs and arms and will do it again when the Anovos shows up. I'm sure you can get by without them, but they do make it easier when assembling and I like to think I have less chance of a catastrophic malfunction mid-troop by having and inner and outer strip.

Speaking of the separate cod/ab and butt/kidney, is that good for higher certification as well as basic certification?

L2 or L3 it won't matter except, for specific assembly requirements. Follow the CRLs and you'll be fine. 

For the record, cod/ab come as one piece, butt/kidney are generally separate when sold by vetted mfgs.  

Edit: Actually Tomas the GGG will have your back when the time comes anyways. Great questions btw.  

Edited by ukswrath

I've never found even in heavy trooping that inner strips were needed. E6000 and outer stripe hold it pretty darn good.

Fair enough, I was hoping to use inner strips merely to help me get my outer strips laid out more perfectly. As a first-timer I want to use every possible helper method, and inner strips seem to be just that.

Edited by Astyanax

I'm just curious to see how this set turns out. I ordered it a long while back, not really in the first batch of pre-orders. I've actually been considering bailing on my Anovos pre-order and putting in an order for AP. I'm just concerned of it ending up being like a Rubies situation as I already made that mistake (a week before finding out about FISD....) Any opinions?