Anovos TK armor preorder

They just released the shadow trooper info. $375 pre-order.

Couldn't resist. DANG IT!  :D

Oh well what's another $400. It's only money right? 

Edited by ukswrath
  • Like 1

Well the rebels are undoubtedly a problem.

Hostile may have been the wrong word, and I think that after more thought I might amend that to "heated."

I guess what I'm really trying to say is that the whole point of all of this- the 501st, the FISD, and all of us here- is to come together as a community and just be really big nerds about something that we all love.

Everything will become more clear as time goes on, and eventually we'll see the final armor. Then it'll be completely appropriate to judge the heck out of it so that future buyers can make informed decisions, and the kit will still cost well within the price range of most other kits, so it won't be too competitive.

Anyway, the important thing is that everyone is here because they love Star Wars, and I think that's really all we need to have a good time.

• Like 1

I think that this is something really important to keep in mind. A lot of people (me, for example), jumped into this because of the price. Some people can afford higher-end armor, and that's great because it means that there are some really amazingly accurate TKs out there. However, for a lot of people it comes down to money. I'm trying to pay for college and afford the armor at the same time, so the Anovos offer was too good to pass up. Personally I'm really excited for this because it means a more affordable way to fulfill a dream of mine that's stuck with me essentially from the time I was two: be a part of the Star Wars universe. I know that this is almost certainly bad news in some ways for the vetted independent producers we've got on here, but I also doubt that there are going to be red scare-level blacklistings and takedowns. The way people are talking about it makes it sound like McCarthy has suddenly become the ruler of the Galactic Empire. I don't know anything about the kind of contract Anovos is under, but I would be very surprised if independent producers get shut down. The 501st is an immense force of good, and it would reflect really poorly on Disney to have one of their denizens cause such a stir in such a wonderful community.

Not everyone is going to be happy about Anovos, and the armor could be really disappointing for a lot of people. But for some of us, this is an amazing opportunity to be part of something phenomenal.

I just feel like we should try to take a less generally negative approach to this. Things seem to be getting pretty hostile.

Agreed. Im an unemployed college grad. If the armor isnt 501st good I can still wear it to non 501st events and have fun!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Ohhh shadow trooper, tempting!

Can someone help me understand the excitement around the shadow trooper?

I have a hard-time shelling out a bunch of money for something that is non-canon, unless I have 2-3 other costumes under my belt first.

An Anovos TK will be my first.

Can someone help me understand the excitement around the shadow trooper?

I have a hard-time shelling out a bunch of money for something that is non-canon, unless I have 2-3 other costumes under my belt first.

An Anovos TK will be my first.

Um, it's black, menacing looking, I'm too short to be a Vader and I've always wanted one.

edit: One more thing, it's only $375  :peace:

Edited by ukswrath
  • Like 1

Um, it's black, menacing looking, I'm too short to be a Vader and I've always wanted one.

edit: One more thing, it's only $375 eace:

And it will be much easier to find boots

I'm afraid that's just a Photoshopped pic of the white one...

shadow.jpg

Shadow troopers came from the original newspaper comic strip before the films were made as far as I can remember.

Too bad there's not a CRL for them, yet. Maybe with enough presence that my change. 

Too bad there's not a CRL for them, yet. Maybe with enough presence that my change.

http://www.501st.com/databank/Costuming:TX_shadow_stormtrooper

It's just not part of FISD.

I'm afraid that's just a Photoshopped pic of the white one...

shadow.jpg

I knew there was something off about the photo. Thought it was CGI lol.

Anyway I will be ordering one. The TK will release before the TX so if the TK is rubbish I can just cancel.

I would still like to know if Australia is going to get a chance at purchasing direct, and with an initial special price. I don't quite understand where the problem with licensing fits as there is no other licences for such armour here or anywhere else.

If we can get every other type of product imaginable here from overseas vendors, why not a TK costume.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hey, you guys who have worked with different armor materials, does the switch to high-grade PVC affect how you cut the armor when you're trimming? Does the score-and-snap method work with this material?

Thanks!

Bill

I've been wondering that for a while too! Thanks for asking!

Hey, you guys who have worked with different armor materials, does the switch to high-grade PVC affect how you cut the armor when you're trimming? Does the score-and-snap method work with this material?

Thanks!

Bill

I've found that it's more down to the thickness of the material. The PVC and the PBS I've used will both work with score/snap and cutting. What you should keep in mind is that as the armor gets thicker/thinner the methods change. For instance with 1mm ABS you can't really score and snap it. The material is too flexible and doesn't have that snap to it. But because it's so flexible cutting it is ultra easy. 2mm ABS is much harder to cut with scissors (comparatively), and really snaps well because it's less flexible. If you'er trying to cut the 2.3+mm ABS/PVC like seen in a lot of the US made kits, it's really really hard to cut them with scissors/lexan scissors.