Anovos TK armor preorder

It's very unlikely that they'll do something so drastic to the undersuit as to make it impossible to use for 501st approval. I doubt that they'll fundamentally change what is essentially a spandex suit, and if they do it's not that hard to find undersuit pieces. It's fine if Anovos doesn't work for you, because it's true that they have very severely limited their possible audience by making the suit so strictly single-sized. Different armors do different things for different people, and the biggest draw to Anovos was the price. Once the tiered pricing ends, there will be very little reason to choose Anovos over any other armor, and that's alright.

For $350, this will most likely be a phenomenal buy.

I've taken the gamble on this back during tier 1. I am worried about fit for me. I'm 5'11 280 got a decent old man belly. But I assume with my weight I'd have problems making any armor work. So I'll stick with it and see what happens. But I'm hoping I can make it work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Tom
  • Like 1

the TK is the first armor that they have stated from the beginning was their own sculpt prototype used on the pictures.

And with how that "prototype" helmet looks like in their pictures, I wouldn't get one even if it was $10. It looks softer than an ice-cream cone in July. Basically just a waste of space in my house.

A great picture to illustrate my point: https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0346/5761/products/sw-imp-trooper-34.jpg

And with how that "prototype" helmet looks like in their pictures, I wouldn't get one even if it was $10. It looks softer than an ice-cream cone in July. Basically just a waste of space in my house.

A great picture to illustrate my point: https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0346/5761/products/sw-imp-trooper-34.jpg

That looks softer than my ROTJ helmets! and that's saying something......:laugh1:

Too be honest considering that Anovos are saying that they are a professional company and that they are not in the same league as us "Bootleggers" it surprises me that their tooling looks like it was made in a garage. For a company that is just about to produce thousands of suits of armour I am surprised they are not using aluminium bucks. they look no more professional than any makers tooling I have seen. In fact I'd say mine are neater..... Maybe these are only Prototype tooling? And as Mathias has pointed out the pulls are very soft..... :blink:

Just sayin'.....

for those of us who aren't as experienced what's the issue(s) that image shows?

Too be honest considering that Anovos are saying that they are a professional company and that they are not in the same league as us "Bootleggers" it surprises me that their tooling looks like it was made in a garage. For a company that is just about to produce thousands of suits of armour I am surprised they are not using aluminium bucks. they look no more professional than any makers tooling I have seen. In fact I'd say mine are neater..... Maybe these are only Prototype tooling? And as Mathias has pointed out the pulls are very soft..... :blink:

Just sayin'.....

I am sure one of the emails said exactly all the above. These are prototypes from prototype bucks and the finals bucks will be cnc machined.

I've taken the gamble on this back during tier 1. I am worried about fit for me. I'm 5'11 280 got a decent old man belly. But I assume with my weight I'd have problems making any armor work. So I'll stick with it and see what happens. But I'm hoping I can make it work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same boat but six foot. Which is why I'm on a diet. Got months to slum down!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I just want to remind people that some people are looking forward to this. Once the offical offical final prototype is out we can judge. Lot of assumptions are being made, we should wait. (And if we dont like it we can back out).

In reply to some ppls post.

If it looks soft its because its a cheep prototype preview pictures). Final plastic was or is being formulated. It is a new suit so comparing it to cent level is saying that dog does not look like an elephant.

All armor (even rubies) can be approvable with enough work. We can only hope the work required is low.

Remeber your audience. Most people cant tell the difference from a normal 501st tk vs a rubies. We are our own worst and most detailed critics.

Have fun. And hope we like what we will see from photos at sdcc.

Niw excuse me while I try and find friends at sdcc to get me an ep7 tk black series!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

According to his explanation only one official email ala "Is Armor XXX legit and can i buy with confidence" enough to force him to go after that armor maker, no matter if he wants to or if not - just due to the paras of his contract. Thats exactly what i thought all the time, from other license-contracts which in general are probably more or less the same in this regard.

Hard times for armor makers, now with a licensed product in game. One unhappy customer, even one who just doesn´t like them or their prices, can get the ball rolling to get them out.

At the Anovos panel at Celebration - they said that KW helped them make the armor for the TFA stormtroopers.

Apparently they like to have the help of unlicensed armor makers when they need the help.

It will be interesting to see if Anovos gets into the Clone or animated clone armor producing.  Then will they turn on the guy that helped them make the TFA armor?

You don´t get it - it´s not the question if they want to go after someone. As soon as someone reports any armor or helmet maker to them, they have the obligation to turn on him, otherwise they can lose the future right to defend their paid license.

As an example: Fan-Armormaker A has a aversion for Fan-Armormaker B, it doesn´t matter if it´s personally related, business/money-related, or recast-related, or whatever. He asks a friend (to not be personally involved if IP or mailaddress is checked) to report Maker B. As soon as that is officially happened, Anovos needs to go after B to save their license, even if B is a close friend with them.

Now, with a official Disney licensed product, the cards are mixed completely new - one single person can take any (illegal) armor-maker out of the game, with just one email addressed to Anovos with having it cc. to Disney. Even if they (Anovos) don´t want, they need to go after.

GotMaul posted another follow-up to a question, and I particularly noticed this (the emphasis is mine):

We look at and analyze everything available to us to provide the most accurate piece to be approved by the licensor. Thus, it is not fair to say we don't ever use fan made assets as a consideration as we work toward our final pieces. You have seen this with us and Cal's help for instance on the AT AT project and Tie. In this particular case of the Stormtrooper, we also used Cal as one of the many resources, but I can confidently say that we've never simply recasted another set and passed it off as the final approved pieces for the manufactured run.

Better follow that thread if you want any more details on this matter!

Bill

Edited by Astyanax
  • Like 1

Another update:

"Hey Doug,

We look at and analyze everything available to us to provide the most accurate piece to be approved by the licensor. Thus, it is not fair to say we don't ever use fan made assets as a consideration as we work toward our final pieces. You have seen this with us and Cal's help for instance on the AT AT project and Tie. In this particular case of the Stormtrooper, we also used Cal as one of the many resources, but I can confidently say that we've never simply recasted another set and passed it off as the final approved pieces for the manufactured run.

In fact, we've never shown the final piece, simply because were not done with making revisions. Everything we've shared, from the manufacturing pics in the newsletter to the one we are showing at this SDCC, are prototype steps to the final and are still multiple iterations away from being the final. For instance, any conclusions drawn off the helmet seen in newsletter pics would be erroneous since we've already changed the master twice since then and still have a few more to go the last time I checked.

So you can see why making accusations or conclusions on said pics are kind of misguided, since all we have shown for updates have been nothing but prototypes with still many "fixes and nudges" away from the final piece."

• Like 1

I just want to remind people that some people are looking forward to this. Once the offical offical final prototype is out we can judge. Lot of assumptions are being made, we should wait. (And if we dont like it we can back out).

I think that this is something really important to keep in mind. A lot of people (me, for example), jumped into this because of the price. Some people can afford higher-end armor, and that's great because it means that there are some really amazingly accurate TKs out there. However, for a lot of people it comes down to money. I'm trying to pay for college and afford the armor at the same time, so the Anovos offer was too good to pass up. Personally I'm really excited for this because it means a more affordable way to fulfill a dream of mine that's stuck with me essentially from the time I was two: be a part of the Star Wars universe. I know that this is almost certainly bad news in some ways for the vetted independent producers we've got on here, but I also doubt that there are going to be red scare-level blacklistings and takedowns. The way people are talking about it makes it sound like McCarthy has suddenly become the ruler of the Galactic Empire. I don't know anything about the kind of contract Anovos is under, but I would be very surprised if independent producers get shut down. The 501st is an immense force of good, and it would reflect really poorly on Disney to have one of their denizens cause such a stir in such a wonderful community.

Not everyone is going to be happy about Anovos, and the armor could be really disappointing for a lot of people. But for some of us, this is an amazing opportunity to be part of something phenomenal.

I just feel like we should try to take a less generally negative approach to this. Things seem to be getting pretty hostile.

• Like 2

I think "hostile" is the wrong word. But any company looking to make armour better understand that the community will no longer accept sub-par products like those of the 90's and 00's.

They will be judged by their quality and if they can't meet expectations, they will hear about it.

Agreed Tomas. The tenor of GotMaul's communications on the RPF seem to come across as more of a "don't ask, don't tell" nature. There doesn't seem to be a desire to actively go after anyone, and I'd bet money that the independent armorers will still be able to function for a long while. Rubie's was licensed, and they didn't incite Lucasfilm to go after anyone. I get the impression GotMaul knows how this all happened, and he knows that this is all meant for the betterment of everyone.

As soon as we squash those pesky Rebels, that is.  :D

Bill

Edited by Astyanax