Anovos TK armor preorder

FYI when you see numbers for plastic thickness like .09 etc. that's typically in inches. I presume that's what AVONOS meant, not 0.9. To convert inches to millimeters multiply by 25.4:

0.09 in X 2.54 cm/in X 10 mm/cm = 2.286 mm

The original ABS armor, according to starwarshelmets.com, was 1.5 mm.

Thicker plastic is harder and stronger, but thinner has the advantage of showing more detail and sharper edges, if those details are also present in the mold.

Edited by bpoodoo
  • Like 1

Myself and a fellow garrison mate talked with one of the ANOVOS managers for a good 30 minutes yesterday afternoon at the ANOVOS booth during SWCA. The guy worked for Sideshow Collectibles for over a decade as one of their creative managers before making the jump to ANOVOS, and is basically in charge of production at ANOVOS. He even gave me his business card and said I could contact him with questions at anytime and as often as I wanted. :D

We talked about both the classic TK offering as well as the TFA kits. There was no ANOVOS classic TK on display nor were there any models wearing them - right now they only have the single prototype as shown in the photo. As far as trimmed vs untrimmed goes, he said his goal was to offer trimmed kits.

We went into detail about the armor characteristics as traced to the screen-used suits (he likes to call those details "artifacts"), how they are put together versus how the completed ANOVOS kits will be assembled (their approach is very different from the "screen accurate" OT assembly), as well as his overall philosophy toward building armor and how it is meant to be worn and used (he likes to keep it as functional as possible, even to the point of referring to the individual components using the historically accurate terminology).

Bottom line - despite having the new TFA kit, I've decided to do the preorder for the classic stormtrooper kit as well. I'm still taking a wait-and-see approach to their new strapping system, but for me the deciding factor (in addition to the low price and the fact that my current classic TK is nearing the end of its useful life) was that with the kit, I'm not locked into using their strapping system and if I choose to use wire brackets through the return edges (or any other method), I have the flexibility to do so.

• Like 5

FYI when you see numbers for plastic thickness like .09 etc. that's typically in inches. I presume that's what AVONOS meant, not 0.9. To convert inches to millimeters multiply by 25.4:

0.09 in X 2.54 cm/in X 10 mm/cm = 2.286 mm

The original ABS armor, according to starwarshelmets.com, was 1.5 mm.

Thicker plastic is harder and stronger, but thinner has the advantage of showing more detail and sharper edges, if those details are also present in the mold.

Ahh that makes sense now. Thanks for summing that up for me though.  I was searching online to see if abs plastic had its own numbering system for describing its thickness.

Taking for granted for the sake of the question that this will be a worthwhile suit, do you think it would be possible to modify it to fit someone 5'6" and around 135 lbs without too much trouble?

I realize it's completely conjecture at this point but just tossing it out there.

As a side note, I did talk to one of the individuals at the ANOVOS booth briefly and he stated that the helmet is one complete piece of plastic not 2 or 3. I am not sure how this is possible or even if it is correct but that is what he said.

It says it comes with a strapping system, I assume they mean like a hardhat liner with chin strap. I assume it's a cheap n easy foam star for padding since everything else is kinda going for screen accuracy

The TFA helmets were lined with removable (and washable) black padding, similar to what you would find in a motorcycle helmet. I imagine that their classic TK helmets will be similarly padded.

You should have no problems. I went ahead an preordered the kit. I'm 5'7" & 135lbs. With the exception of an FX kit I've never had to seriously modify a kit (cut short arms, biceps or thighs/legs) to fit me. I even built one of the episode 7 kits from ANOVOS and had no problems.

Taking for granted for the sake of the question that this will be a worthwhile suit, do you think it would be possible to modify it to fit someone 5'6" and around 135 lbs without too much trouble?

I realize it's completely conjecture at this point but just tossing it out there.

The TFA helmets were lined with removable (and washable) black padding, similar to what you would find in a motorcycle helmet. I imagine that their classic TK helmets will be similarly padded.

Brian I've had a few recruits inquire if the ANOVOS classic TK will be Centurion approveable, do you have a comment on this or should I direct this question to Steve?

Thanks 

I'm really excited about this. I've been wanting a TK since I was like, 6 and first saw ESB. This is the perfect opportunity to get into it all for me. 

Even if it wouldn't get approved, (which, from what I'm looking at, shouldn't happen as long as it fits in all the right places) Then I've still got something I've always wanted, I figure. 

Sweet, good to know. How much padding was there? Were the insides of the TFA lids lined with anything? how much white was visible? Just wondering, thanks!

Sweet, good to know. How much padding was there? Were the insides of the TFA lids lined with anything? how much white was visible? Just wondering, thanks!

Yes, they have a base liner that fits the at the crown (top) of your head than another (optional) that surrounds the crown.   

Black on the inside from what I saw.

Edited by ukswrath

As a side note, I did talk to one of the individuals at the ANOVOS booth briefly and he stated that the helmet is one complete piece of plastic not 2 or 3. I am not sure how this is possible or even if it is correct but that is what he said.

Not sure whether to trust that, or the 'prototype' pictures on ANOVOS' site. On the site, if you look at the helmet pictures that show the left ear, it is very clearly 2 helmet pieces + 2 ears (look above the left ear near the brow trim). Maybe the booth person didn't have a clue or maybe the prototype pictures are wrong...I have no idea.

Edited by aramis

Brian I've had a few recruits inquire if the ANOVOS classic TK will be Centurion approveable, do you have a comment on this or should I direct this question to Steve?

Thanks

It's a better question for Steve, but I would imagine that as long as it fits properly and you build it to Centurion specs you should have no trouble being approved for that level.

• Like 1

Does anyone know if this armor will fit someone that is 6'3? I know it says 6'0 max. I am 6'3 and I fit right into FX armor without any trimming or shims. Did FX also have a height limit? I am very close to pulling the trigger on getting the Anovos kit but the sizing max is worrying me.

Does anyone know if this armor will fit someone that is 6'3? I know it says 6'0 max. I am 6'3 and I fit right into FX armor without any trimming or shims. Did FX also have a height limit? I am very close to pulling the trigger on getting the Anovos kit but the sizing max is worrying me.

http://www.anovos.com/collections/star-wars/products/star-wars-classic-trilogy-imperial-stormtrooper-pre-order

• Designed to fit a person that is between 5 ft. 8 in to 6 ft. (1.7 to 1.8 meters) in height, with a mesomorphic body-type. (See chart in the Sizing Guide section.)

With the right trimming any kit can fit nearly anyone. Most of the kits on the market say they will fit up to 6' or 6'2" but they can fit taller/bigger people, it's all about how much modification is required to get it done.

• Like 1

So I have been following this thread closely.  There are many people that appear to be jumping all over this deal at $350 and understandably so.  But for the people who are thinking of making this their first suit, aren't any of you a little concerned that this product may not be what it appears?  I'm not saying that Anovos does a bad job with anything that it does because I do not have any personal knowledge dealing with them and their products.  I just fear that when people finally start getting these sometime if the future that many of these people may have to do a lot of extra work to do to make it up to standards. 

I guess you can always assume that if you want to make it up to EIB or Centurion you could always just take the molded parts and construct them like you would any other armor.  I just know that one of the goals of FISD is to get people to go atleast EIB above normal approval.  When many new members end up buying this armor and assembling it, I would imagine most would just take Anovos' instructions and assemble it that way because that is the "way" they said to do it.  Which would probably not make them eligible for EIB based on what people have said. 

I'm not an expert but I would say that the reason EIB numbers have been rising is because most new members are building their armor towards those higher levels right out of the gate.  But if a new member purchases this armor and builds it using their instructions then that member is less likely to change the armor after its already built which would go against the EIB goals.

I just hope that more and more accurate information comes out about this armor so everyone can start making preparations when it finally does show up on people's doorsteps.

I know that this is FISD but for those of you who are on the Sith Lord Detachment what is everyones feelings on Anovos' Darth Vader armor compared to whats already out there?  Has it been accepted by the members or do they feel it is not up to standards?

I'm personally convinced this armor will be as easy to make EIB and Centurion approvable than any others. Also, this prototype is clearly assembled up to the Centurion requirements (except for the handplates and holster rivets) which means ANOVOS seems to know how to build a stormtrooper. I don't see why they wouln't guide their customers the correct way then.

I'd be more concerned about the promised delivery date.

• Like 2

So I have been following this thread closely.  There are many people that appear to be jumping all over this deal at $350 and understandably so.  But for the people who are thinking of making this their first suit, aren't any of you a little concerned that this product may not be what it appears?  I'm not saying that Anovos does a bad job with anything that it does because I do not have any personal knowledge dealing with them and their products.  I just fear that when people finally start getting these sometime if the future that many of these people may have to do a lot of extra work to do to make it up to standards. 

I guess you can always assume that if you want to make it up to EIB or Centurion you could always just take the molded parts and construct them like you would any other armor.  I just know that one of the goals of FISD is to get people to go atleast EIB above normal approval.  When many new members end up buying this armor and assembling it, I would imagine most would just take Anovos' instructions and assemble it that way because that is the "way" they said to do it.  Which would probably not make them eligible for EIB based on what people have said. 

I'm not an expert but I would say that the reason EIB numbers have been rising is because most new members are building their armor towards those higher levels right out of the gate.  But if a new member purchases this armor and builds it using their instructions then that member is less likely to change the armor after its already built which would go against the EIB goals.

I just hope that more and more accurate information comes out about this armor so everyone can start making preparations when it finally does show up on people's doorsteps.

I know that this is FISD but for those of you who are on the Sith Lord Detachment what is everyones feelings on Anovos' Darth Vader armor compared to whats already out there?  Has it been accepted by the members or do they feel it is not up to standards?

I agree with you Steve. It would be nice to have all the facts, especially whether this armor is minimally EIB acceptable before purchasing.

Something to consider, ANOVOS would be doing a major disservice to the 501st if it was to push a product that wasn't accurate enough for EIB, especially giving the fact they supplied the TFA armor with Disney's & LFL's blessing. I've heard nothing but positive feedback regarding other SW costumes coming from ANOVOS. .

I'm not trying to push ANOVOS products in any way but @ $350 I bought one just to see for myself. Time will tell I guess

• Like 1