3D printed Three part Mic Tip project ( Hovi Mix Pa2 )

Its long ago since I was active in this hobby. I decided it last too long ;)

Currently I am working on a project regarding to the Mic Tips of the Stormtroopers we all know by the name of “Hovi Mix Pa2â€. As a Bachelor in Product-Design and with the help of my beloved Form1+ 3D printer I enjoy modeling and creating jewelry and now also the Mic Tips in a very accurate 3 part design.
I know there are some great creations by some skilled makers here on the forum as well and this is just my personal interpretation with the tools of a CAD program and 3D printing.
For the 3 part Mic Tips I used pictures of original worn Hovi Mix Pa2 types (aerators) and was measuring and prototyping a lot before I got to these final results. It was real fun to work on this project I always wanted to but never got the time for. Maybe I just show you some pictures and go to more details if you want me to :)

Marcus

ws8ufb.jpg

13zxxqh.jpg

Its long ago since I was active in this hobby. I decided it last too long ;)

Currently I am working on a project regarding to the Mic Tips of the Stormtroopers we all know by the name of “Hovi Mix Pa2â€. As a Bachelor in Product-Design and with the help of my beloved Form1+ 3D printer I enjoy modeling and creating jewelry and now also the Mic Tips in a very accurate 3 part design.

I know there are some great creations by some skilled makers here on the forum as well and this is just my personal interpretation with the tools of a CAD program and 3D printing.

For the 3 part Mic Tips I used pictures of original worn Hovi Mix Pa2 types (aerators) and was measuring and prototyping a lot before I got to these final results. It was real fun to work on this project I always wanted to but never got the time for. Maybe I just show you some pictures and go to more details if you want me to :)

Marcus

ws8ufb.jpg

13zxxqh.jpg

Nicely done!

Looks like you are in Germany based on the language in your 3D software.. Maybe Germany :D

I like the idea and the CAD file looks great.

Is that Rhino software or something else?

At what resolution are these printed?

Do these exhibit the textured surface typical of most 3D printed items?

Yes this is Rhino! I can print at three resolutions in Micrometer: 0.1 / 0.05 & 0.025. Although 0.25 would be the most accurate I only print the nipple part at this resolution as the mainbody looks better at 0.1 for some reason. I use a stereolithography printer which is way more accurate than a FDM printer. You can still see the layers but the surface is very smooth and detailed.

Great project. Like to see them in white

very soon! :)

Nicely done!

Looks like you are in Germany based on the language in your 3D software.. Maybe Germany :D

thats right.. good eye! :D

Very nice. I'm actually looking into a form 1+ myself. How is the print quality in general? I've heard both the form 1 and 1+ can struggle with details on vertical sections, but your output looks pretty nice.

Have you tried the black resin yet?

Edited by 87ninefiveone

I did some better pictures of the actual looking Mic Tips - I hope you like them.

The bolts, nuts and washers are close but if someone knows where to get the perfect ones gets a free set! :)

These look incredible!  Do you have a price per set?

I get all my hardware through McMaster-Carr.

You should be able to find anything you need there, plus shipping and customer service are excellent.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#

Very nice. I'm actually looking into a form 1+ myself. How is the print quality in general? I've heard both the form 1 and 1+ can struggle with details on vertical sections, but your output looks pretty nice.

The problem with the black resin is that you would have to paint the insides white. One way or another you have to paint. Outside or inside. White or Black.

Well its true the form1+ is a complicated device and formlabs had to replace my printer three times. Many people have problems with laser flare which I think is causing the vertical quality issues you mean. I had even worse problems than that but finaly got a printer that works great. I didn't expect that anymore! To prevent bad surface quality you have to orient the model to an angle of like 45 degrees and the support structure needs to be generated with the longer supports on the hinge side and not on the peel side. There are lots of things to consider and a long learning curve with the form1+. In the end and if working properly the form1+ is unbeatable at the moment in my opinion. I alreay got black, white, clear, grey and castable. Most resins work good for me but it feels like black warps a little bit between the support areas on the underside of the models. It might be that the stronger laserpower used on darker resins can cause this but I don't know.

Marcus

These look incredible!  Do you have a price per set?

I get all my hardware through McMaster-Carr.

You should be able to find anything you need there, plus shipping and customer service are excellent.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#

thanks! I think I visited this site before but they haven't real fotos of their products. I should ask them for some samples. I send you a pm for a price - I would like to wait before I got the correct screws until I offer them in the for sales thread. On the other hand its easy to replace them later with different bolts/screws.

Marcus

thanks! I think I visited this site before but they haven't real fotos of their products. I should ask them for some samples. I send you a pm for a price - I would like to wait before I got the correct screws until I offer them in the for sales thread. On the other hand its easy to replace them later with different bolts/screws.

Marcus

BETTER than real photos...you can view or download a CAD drawing OR interactive 3D PDF for almost any hardware on that website...

Just click "Product Detail" for the item you want.

If I knew the correct size and type, I'd post it!  LOL, I want the free set with my order!

Fillister%20Head%20Bolt%20Drawing_zpsoaq

Edited by usaeatt2

I found these bolts in Japan. I think they are the size you are looking for. 16 mm long, 4m but these are stainless. Let me know if you need help getting these if all other options fail.

http://ihc.monotaro.com/item/C41746144/

Awesome work on those mic tips!

Pack of 100 M4 X 0.70 X 16 L for just under $11 at Grainger...

Square shouldered cheese head with a drawing.

I drive by the store everyday on my way to work so I could verify these are correct.

I'd opt for stainless instead of zinc-plated steel for corrosion resistance...

Maybe not "canon", but there's a whole lot of hot breath hitting those screws.

http://www.grainger.com/product/GRAINGER-APPROVED-Mach-Scr-6JB17?nls=1&searchQuery=6JB17

I found these bolts in Japan. I think they are the size you are looking for. 16 mm long, 4m but these are stainless. Let me know if you need help getting these if all other options fail.

http://ihc.monotaro.com/item/C41746144/

Awesome work on those mic tips!

Pack of 100 M4 X 0.70 X 16 L for just under $11 at Grainger...

Square shouldered cheese head with a drawing.

I drive by the store everyday on my way to work so I could verify these are correct.

I'd opt for stainless instead of zinc-plated steel for corrosion resistance...

Maybe not "canon", but there's a whole lot of hot breath hitting those screws.

http://www.grainger.com/product/GRAINGER-APPROVED-Mach-Scr-6JB17?nls=1&searchQuery=6JB17

thank you for searching! The ones from Japan look like the ones I already have. They have a rounded head and are close but I hope to find even more accurate screws.

Regarding Graingers: You probably mean the

I can't find a CAD file so if you could look and verify them that would be great!! :) The pictures of the screws often show only similar versions so I can't just order 1000 pieces to find out they are not what I expected.

This is what I am lookig for:

51o7pi.jpg

Marcus

While I am still on the hunt for the correct screws I was able to improve the Hovi's white colour. I can print them in a very deep white now and they are not so "milky" anymore. The original Nipple part looks a bit greenish so I tried to match that! I think I will offer this as an option to everyone depending of what you prefer - white or greenish.

i5rfqr.jpg

5mzvo1.jpg

142xx7t.jpg

Marcus

Edited by Vaj
  • Like 1