Anyone gotten grief because blaster looked too real?

I was just curious....has anyone here gotten any issues from police or other officials when carrying one of the SW replica guns for looking too real?

My wife is a bit paranoid because she thinks my Hasbro DoopyDoos build looks too much like a real gun.  Of course, I can't imagine that to be the case since we'll be in costume!  Hence, ppl will know it's part of the whole setup.

• Like 1

I've only had one officer come and check out my blaster, asked if there was any cartridges in it. Once he felt the trigger didn't do anything, he was okay. Some city's require an orange tip on fake weapons....

has anyone here gotten any issues from police or other officials when carrying one of the SW replica guns for looking too real?

Your lady should have nothing to be paranoid about.

storm%20trooper%20arrested.jpg

• Like 5

If this happens to you

---------

Just bring back-up and the tables are turned

------

It isn't only sandpeople that use strength in numbers.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link removed no longer working
  • Like 5

John,

If you're super worried about it stuff an orange foam earplug in the muzzle (I think it was Zaphod who showed me that trick) or get orange electrical tape and tape a couple wraps on the front of it. That'll allow you to have a bit of orange when you need it and remove it when you don't.

-Eric

• Like 2

John, I've never had any harassment like situations, but I've definitely had to answer a few questions a couple of times.  

Mine is really pretty real looking.  LoL

I've had the police called on me a few times now lol first time in I was in the park with my wife and kids. A lot of families were around, being it the summer time. Someone was concerned that a masked man was wondering around the park. I told the Officer I was a member of the 501st and a bit about what we do. No harm was done, just a check.

The next time I was stopped wandering down the street to the YMCA as I was picking up my kids. Officer drove by and stopped me on the sidewalk. He did a routine check and all was well.

Third time I was waiting about a block away front he school, as I was picking up the kids. I had an hour to kill before school got out, so wandered around a bit and then stood guard over a mail box. Got a few pictures take a it's people, and then a Cop Car pulls up on the previous corner. After getting out of his car, he puts his hand on his gun, and tells me to keep my hands away from my own. No guns were drawn. He removed it from the holster, looked at it, and since it was made from wood, mostly, he could tell it wasn't real, the trigger doesnt even move.

I told him my name and about the 501st. He's seen us at FanExpo before with his son. Apparently he got a call about a masked man with a gun... CTV showed up a little while later, and after the Officer left, they did an interview with me in character with bucket on. I was on the news in a small segment that night.

Now when I go out, my wife doesn't want me to take my blaster with me, sometimes I leave it behind, sometimes I take it along. Since it is not real, and doesn't even work, if the police are called, I'm doing no harm. It stays in the holster while I go out wandering as a trooper. I guess what it comes down to, is how nervous you make everyone else in your area when you go out for a walk. You will be described as a masked man, not a Stormtrooper to some. Heck, one comic convention a mom even told their son, look at the Transformer, when talking about me lol the son corrected her...

Just be aware you may get stopped by Police or pulled ove. It could happen at any time, or any place you are not at an event, or place you were meant to be. Hope this helps some.

Just dont whip it out and point it at LEO!. Been on a few troops in crowded public places with a lot of LEO's present. Never an issue.

I took the dog for a long 1.5 mile walk in my armor to test it out before I got approved. The local Sheriff stopped me, to take a picture and shoot the breeze with me, I had my blaster with me as well. Never been an issue 

I've never had an issue. I have seen some local GI Joe cosplayers or Halo/ODST groups get their weapons tagged by cops at events.

I had police check the blasters only because the Mayor was visiting near by when we were filming the episode for Ink Masters a few years ago.  Other then that, I have many pictures with local Law Enforcement and no issues.

I solved this potential problem by re-painting my Doopydoos to be more "public friendly".  Haven't been bothered yet!. :laugh1: ---------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link removed no longer working