Cooling prototype idea

So, I'm in sunny/hot Florida and I've been trying to think of ways to stay cool while trooping.

I've seen a few videos like these, where people make little air conditioners out of 5 gallon buckets, a fan, and some kind of ice.

So, I set out to make a smaller prototype that might fit on the back panel of trooper armor and this is what I came up with:

16783070740_afe3c2f809.jpg

It's a little cardboard box sealed with duct tape + fan for air input and a gel freezer pack inside. The real deal would have to be some kind of better insulated box and probably a different style fan to sit flush with the box... but I think it works pretty well. Also, instead of the straw I would use some aquarium air tubing or something to run up the neck seal into my bucket. Another nice plus to this approach is that the fans are not in the bucket so there's much less noise. Has anybody tried something like this?

maybe in a styrofoam container, to make it liter.  only thing is, will the bulkness fit the back plate? or where were you planning on putting it?

It would be a great idea, especially if you can put multiple tubes to cool your chest as well.

The gel pack I was trying is roughly 5x5x1 inches, I think it would fit on the back ok but I could get something smaller if needed. I'll try to figure out a styrofoam box that would fit to build a more real setup next.

You are going to have problems with weight if you try to fit it in the armor itself. You would have to really anchor the armor down to the ab plate to keep it from sliding down in back.

Perhaps some kind of vest worn on the body with the armor fitting over it? Though there are cool vests available on the market.

Sandtroopers would have a great advantage over us with something like this.

My Garrison CO wears a cooling vest under his Vader , last about 1 1/2 hours before it starts to work in reverse and the liquid pouches start to hold your body heat and make it really uncomfortable.

We live in Queensland Australia, so it's Hot and humid 6 months of the year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

You are going to have problems with weight if you try to fit it in the armor itself. You would have to really anchor the armor down to the ab plate to keep it from sliding down in back.

Perhaps some kind of vest worn on the body with the armor fitting over it? Though there are cool vests available on the market.

Sandtroopers would have a great advantage over us with something like this.

Good idea to wear it on the body somehow instead of hanging on the armor.. I hadn't thought that far yet! The cool vests that I've seen in my searches don't really seem like a great fit, and I'd rather keep the cool air in the helmet if possible.

On 3/30/2015 at 8:51 AM, Chivo said:

available on ebay.

If I had that much room under my insert I's go for it. As it is I have just enough clearance to see out my lens. Great idea though.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link removed no longer working