Throat mic demo video

I've been looking for a good throat mike.  Thanks for sharing, will be ordering mine very soon.

Wearing glasses and using the over the ear mike is such a pain.  That and basically having to eat the microphone the whole time, this setup looks way better.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for posting the video and review. I just ordered mine.

Anyone else in the US have an estimate on the basic air-mail option from them?

Hey DSG'er!  I ordered one earlier this year and got it pretty fast.  Not sure how many days, but I remember thinking I expected it to take much longer.  Maybe 7-10 days after order?

It works amazing!  Much better than the wireless I had tried.  Apparently, "Q" has a Memorex, because whenever he and I were in the same room, both our setups started making a loud, warbling sound.  No feedback issues at all.  The only possible issue is moisture.  Under a neckseal, in AZ, it gets a little sweaty.  I'm thinking of ordering a larger neck seal and putting something between the mic and my neck.  Might make it worse, though.

I ordered one on 4/15/15 because of everyone's great reviews... Out of curiosity I messaged them asking when to expect delivery. I received a message back saying that they were actually "out of stock" and they will fulfill my order early next week (4/27).

Can't wait to try this out!!! Thanks for all the information everyone!

Ordered an Aker amp, the Neck mic, and an iCOMM :D . Was getting lots of feedback when I tilted my head using a random amp I bought years ago slung around my neck. What I'm wondering is did you have to modify the GoPro mount you use? If so can you post a pic?

It's actually a Sony action cam chest mount, but should still be the same as the go pro. I flipped it around so the amps Velcro to the flat side. I have pics on the 1st page of this thread. Used it Saturday, zero feedback!

It's actually a Sony action cam chest mount, but should still be the same as the go pro. I flipped it around so the amps Velcro to the flat side. I have pics on the 1st page of this thread. Used it Saturday, zero feedback!

Go to amazon and search gopro chesty.  There are some after market makers that are very similar and as low as $7.

Go to amazon and search gopro chesty.  There are some after market makers that are very similar and as low as $7.

Haha Thanks! Ordered one off Ebay for 7.09 USD, with upgraded shipping lolz. Going be much better then having it slung around my neck like my old one!!

I had high hopes for this, but it hasn't worked out.  I have the same throat mic and I am not satisfied. It is far too quiet. With the Aker at maximum volume, it's barely putting out a normal speaking voice level of sound.  The ordinary Aker mic is significantly louder. 

I tried all kinds of positions on my neck, and that makes a little difference, but nothing comes remotely close to the sound I get with the Aker mic.  

I don't know if I just got a bad one or what.

Interesting-  you probably tried it, but it works best for me with it higher up on my neck, almost under my jaw;  and it of course should be tight.  Then my neckseal holds it in place.  

Thanks, Scott. Yeah, I watched your video with interest to see where you have it positioned. It's not very tight on my neck, but not loose, and the neck seal holds it in place well. Even if I press it against my neck with my fingers it doesn't get significantly louder. 

I spent some time probing my neck with my fingers while talking & humming to search out the sweet spot. (That must have looked pretty strange.)

I'm plugging the throat mic directly into the Aker 1506. I don't have an iComm.  Is the iComm critical to the operation somehow?  Could you try plugging it directly into the Aker and let me know if it works?

Not sure why it's not working for you Dan- that's too bad.  I just plugged mine straight into the Aker and it worked fine.  I guess different size necks could affect how good it picks up the vocals;  one of those 'dont know until you try it' deals.  Have you had anyone else try it out on their necks?  

Thanks for trying that, Scott. I'm in contact with the vendor to troubleshoot it. Maybe I have a skinny neck, but even pressing it into my neck with my fingers doesn't make it any better.

Thanks for trying that, Scott. I'm in contact with the vendor to troubleshoot it. Maybe I have a skinny neck, but even pressing it into my neck with my fingers doesn't make it any better.

Just a thought here, but sometimes facial hair can be an issue by causing a dampening effect. If you have 1-2 day stubble, or even a full beard that extends onto the neck, that could also be interfering with the pickups.

Edited by Khazid

Just a thought here, but sometimes facial hair can be an issue by causing a dampening effect. If you have 1-2 day stubble, or even a full beard that extends onto the neck, that could also be interfering with the pickups.

Yeah, I had more than a few days of stubble. How did you know? Is my webcam on or something?   :)

So I just shaved, and it's a little bit better, but still barely normal speaking volume with the Aker at max volume. 

Yeah, I had more than a few days of stubble. How did you know? Is my webcam on or something? :)

So I just shaved, and it's a little bit better, but still barely normal speaking volume with the Aker at max volume.

Yep, did the old hack the webcam trick. I really like that Rebel Legion tattoo on your right shoulder ;)

On a serious note, I am out of ideas other than you have defective pickups.

On my older throat mic, it WILL NOT pick up any sound on the sides of my neck. The pick up is practically near the front of my neck. Just below the Adam's Apple.

After reading this thread today, I put mine back on and tried it on the sides, 2/3rds of the way forward and finally pretty much at the front to confirm my findings. The sound output with the mic directly plugged into my Aker was loudest as it moved forward.

Something to note, my older version only has a single transponder. Looks like everyone else here has the dual. Not sure if that makes a difference or not. But then again, not sure how to troubleshoot if defective.

I have someone in my garrison (Ukswath) is having similar results with his. He is plugging his into his ROM/FX which has a built-in amp and not having much success. I am hoping to meet up with him to try his in my set up. This way we could eliminate the possibility of a defect.

Has anyone else here having difficulties have someone else try on your mic? This would eliminate if it is a physiological cause.

Please report your findings.

Edited by toybiz