Yet another noob attempting to make a BlasTech E11

Mine was from numrich.com. each supplier seems to chop stuff differently. This and the barrel were the only peices cut everything else is flawless. Trigger group all works. And the front end is untouched.

It is a shame they chopped up the grip housing so much :/

First of all, amazing work on the cutting of these pieces! Really a lofty goal you've set for yourself and quite a standard for others to follow. I think if I (or many others here) made the fire control group and bracket on my own I would have to have them laser cut.

Just one note on these pieces. I see you've masterfully cut the little notch on the top front of the side panel for the fire control group. When putting the control group into the bracket, this actually catches a little bit on the inside of the front piece of the bracket to keep the control group from falling down. I think this makes sense, but if not, I'll try to get pics to elaborate. Basically, if I were doing what you are (which again, I could not) I would cut the sides of the bracket in a single piece with the front connecting them, sort of like a butterfly, and then bend both of the sides. Then you can add a little piece as wide as the inner width of the front but just shorter than the height, so the notches catch when you push the control group forward.

Again, let me know if I can explain this better. :)

*EDIT* Example of what I'm trying to explain, the blue/darker lines are where the folds are. It also has to be just below the top as that is where you will slightly bend/flange the pieces to fit onto the receiver.Sterling%20Bracket%20Example_zpsywjwohf6

Edited by mablax12
  • Like 1

First of all, amazing work on the cutting of these pieces! Really a lofty goal you've set for yourself and quite a standard for others to follow. I think if I (or many others here) made the fire control group and bracket on my own I would have to have them laser cut.

Just one note on these pieces. I see you've masterfully cut the little notch on the top front of the side panel for the fire control group. When putting the control group into the bracket, this actually catches a little bit on the inside of the front piece of the bracket to keep the control group from falling down. I think this makes sense, but if not, I'll try to get pics to elaborate. Basically, if I were doing what you are (which again, I could not) I would cut the sides of the bracket in a single piece with the front connecting them, sort of like a butterfly, and then bend both of the sides. Then you can add a little piece as wide as the inner width of the front but just shorter than the height, so the notches catch when you push the control group forward.

Thanks for the compliment - it maybe a little be premature...

I thought that the trigger control 'notch' was supported by the hole in the receiver? Maybe someone with real Sterling experience can confirm.

Either way I will be adding a piece of Al (probably 6mm thick) to join the two sides of the butterfly. I choose to do it this way so I can control the gap better. It may well not work, coz I am kinda making this up as i go (and so far have messed up more bits than I have successfully completed.  :P

Part of the reason I am trying to make all the pieces is to try fitting them together before drill the key holes etc.

If you look at the picture I shared you can see up front there is a plate that bends back in towards the reciever. this it the notch that the trigger group hods onto to stay in place. I think the template should have another square between the panels to bend in. Forgive my crude asci illustation.

|      |  

|___|

/|      |\

/ |___| \

/            \

/              \

This is supposed to be where to two grip panels meet.

I thought that the trigger control 'notch' was supported by the hole in the receiver? Maybe someone with real Sterling experience can confirm.

If you look at the picture I shared you can see up front there is a plate that bends back in towards the reciever. this it the notch that the trigger group hods onto to stay in place. I think the template should have another square between the panels to bend in. Forgive my crude ascii illustration.

|      |  

|___|

/|      |\

/ |___| \

/            \

/              \

This is supposed to be where to two grip panels meet.

Ahh, now I get it - well I guess it would not have worked even if I had keep the two sides joined.  I think the Al solder will join the middle / folded over piece well enough - it seems strong enough with the bits i have done so far.

The piece I started for the trigger control group is a fail, so will be starting that one again. :-(  

I want to have the trigger group made up before joining the grip panels to the receiver to make sure it all works together (plus I have to man up and start drilling holes in my last piece of Al tube....)

• 3 weeks later...

So a bit of a lack of progress - I've just moved a house (yes I typed that right, the house moved, not me...)

I finally re-started on the receiver - got the holes drilled and started on the ejection port and bolt slide cutouts.

Receiver-03_zpszaaebbm6.jpg

Receiver-02_zpsssi2amnv.jpg

I do like the incentive (or is the pressure) that a WIP thread provides..

I've also ordered a scope from Blue Snaggletooth and a Magazine from Felice so looking forward to getting those though I only give the Mag a 50:50 chance of getting past NZ customs :-(

• 1 month later...

I've been working on the trigger group and have got as far as a test fit on most of the pieces.

TriggerGroup-03-TestFit_zpshj6qtjo7.jpg

You will see that the trigger guard is incomplete - I need to determine where the piece that the trigger goes through will end up before making the hole for the back off the trigger guard to fit into.

The trigger is going to connect with the brass pin, much like a real sterling

The front of the trigger guard will also be held in by a pin

I still need to make a spacer bit for the front and back of the group and determine the best way to fit it all together - at this stage i am thinking of 'magic soldering' the pieces to one side and holding the other with pins etc

TriggerGroup-04-TriggerSwitch_zpsi4fikfa

Trial fit of electronics

Im not sure it will all fit - the switch and pot are the preferred options (as they 'feel' the best) but I have a smaller switch (not shown) and pot (black / grey thing next to assembly)

Woohooo!!!   THIS reflects the evolution of pushing modifications to the limit.

Really like how you combined the mods from usaeatt2 and Sith Lord.

Edited by T-Jay

I remember when I made my Doopy's blaster and thought I had some awesome mods...this kind of thing is in a whole other universe of awesome.  I'm so impressed with all the scratch builds I see.  Even if they don't work out perfectly, or aren't exactly canon this way or that way (I"m not commenting on yours, just the general genre), they're a real testament to creativity and skill.