iLLuSiOnZ_09 ATA Bucket Build (*ATA)

This thread is just going to be for my bucket. I will create a separate thread later for the armor once I complete the helmet.

Anyway, after waiting almost 10 months, i finally received my "BIG BROWN BOX" and crap it did not disappoint!

01.jpg

Naturally I opened the box and layed it out somewhat accordingly so that i can make sure all the pieces were in there.

I definitely got some TK Wood from holding the kit in my hand lol...

02.jpg

It's going to be a process building this but I'm going to take my time and do it right. Cant wait!!!!

• Like 1

First i had to just hold the bucket in my hand and just marvel at the beauty lmfao... strategically think of what im doing next lol.

I definitely used the trooperbay videos and other online threads here at inspiration/tutorials to help me. So thanks to all Troops helping troops!

03.jpg04.jpg

First I scored basic shape in the eyes and drilled some small wholes to get a basic shape open. Once i had a rough opening, using online examples and following the molding shape on the ATA, i used a pencil to mark the line i needed to cut to.

05.jpg

Using my exacto knife, i carefully cut the eyes to where i wanted.

06.jpg07.jpg

Once i got the eyes to where i wanted them ( i will sand/file them up a little once i finish with the frown to do both together), i then drilled some small wholes on the frown to be able to get my x-acto knife in there.

08.jpg09.jpg

I'm not sure if you can see the wholes to well, but they are just to be able to get my knife in there to start cutting away.

I then started cutting away at the frown.

This is where i left my current status for the night. Next up on the agenda will be to finish up these frown wholes...

10.jpg

to me getting the eyes and frown wholes just right are really important. Getting the face right is CRUCIAL lol...

Thanks for the encouragement everyone...i'll keep you posted as i make more progress.

I have a question, should i paint/spray the inside of the bucket black? I have seen some do it and some neglect to do so. Yay or Nay...will be more annoying now that i have made the holes, but i want to make sure i do everything the best as possible. I know its not required, but just want some insight.

Not required, but after having my AM helmet left white, i decided on the plastidip+cheesecloth for my AP helmet. MAN what a difference! It helps make the lens darker with a black interior, and just looks awesome imho. But, it is completely up to you. When i did my helmet, i did it with the eyes cut out and the frown as well.

If you do decide to paint it black, i highly recommend at least using plastidip. If you happen to get any in places you don't want, it will easily peel off once dry. Just something to think about

thanks for the heads up. I might end up doing it with plastidip then; i have one concern though, wouldn't the plastidip make it hot inside the bucket since and act as an insulator?

Edited by illusionz_09
  • Like 1

It will get hot in your helmet anyway.

That's what fans are for.

Touche lol...

So back to the build.

I finished off the teeth on the frown to where i was happy with them and did some light filing (in the wholes i can get inside lol); the others just cleaned with the x-acto blade.

11.jpg

Finished Frown & Eyes

12.jpg13.jpg

Based on the shape of the mold, i then cut the sides of the face plate and the neck trim underneath.

BTW, those molds are seriously harder/stronger than they look lol. It was pretty difficult to shape with the scissors i have so i had to clean it up with my x-acto. (i use this blade for everything lol)

14.jpg15.jpg

I left a little extra just in case...let me know if I should get closer.

Now that i have the face plate where i want it, i began working on the back cap.

Just as before, i drew light lines with a pencil to get an idea of where i wanted to cut it. I'm not sure if you can see it in the pic. On both sides and below.

16.jpg17.jpg19.jpg

Then I drilled a whole where the lines come to a point for support, as we all do.

18.jpg

Then I cut at about where i drew the lines. I did not take a picture of the process of actually cutting, but I'm sure you can imagine lol.

Anyway, this is where i left it off for the night. All trimmed and ready to start of the ears.

21.jpg20.jpg

Please provide some input if i should may trim a little more anywhere. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated lol...

I'll work on the ears sometime this week and hopefully have it assembled soon, then ready for paint.

I actually ended up buying some Satin Black Spray Paint to paint the inside of the bucket (for mic tips too). I'll just tape off the holes to paint bucket.

I have a question, should i put some Bondo or putty in the inside of the bucket behind the mic tips? I have heard of some people doing that. Is it needed for an ATA build?

I actually ended up buying some Satin Black Spray Paint to paint the inside of the bucket (for mic tips too). I'll just tape off the holes to paint bucket.

I have a question, should i put some Bondo or putty in the inside of the bucket behind the mic tips? I have heard of some people doing that. Is it needed for an ATA build?

I have an ATA bucket and didn't put anyting behind the mic tips ... just dont over-tighten the screws

I just had to paint the inside of the bucket for sanity lmfao.

I ended up using Flat Black (I still had it from my Blaster build)

Taping up took longer than I thought...

I covered up the ATA sign to leave the TM. And covers the frown holes i made as clean as i could. The ABS isnt the easiest thing to stick the painters tape to.

22.jpg

Then ended up doing 2 coats of the Flat Black.

23.jpg

After it dried for a while i removed everything and saw the finished paint job.

Im really happy with everything overall. I may touch up the frown a bit by hand later to make it cleaner; well see. for now im happy.

Up next is to put this together then do the ears...

24.jpg

I'm a little upset about my clamps... they did slight damage on the right eye, but ill try to touch it up with some heat and sanding later.

Anyway, i cut the brow and then put the cap and face plate together.

26.jpg25.jpg

if you notice on the right side i had some issues and had to fix the hole. It will be covered by the ears anyway.

So i put the overall bucket to where i was happy with it. (Except that right eye in the corner lol)

27.jpg28.jpg

Then i started working on the ears. First i drew a line to get an idea, then do a rough trim off.

29.jpg30.jpg

and Holy crap!!!!!!! am i glad it came with a second pair lol.. Those ears are difficult as shucks to get right. It's really a slave Leia lmfao. Perfecting these really takes a lot of practice. Hopefully the second pair i can get better by doing it little by little, i'm doing those tonight.

I'll keep posted the final ears on.

Edited by illusionz_09

lmfao...i like how the forum changes words automatically lol... Shucks? really? haha. And "Slave Leia" instead of B*tch! lmfao hilarious.

Edited by illusionz_09

Yeah, the ears are never fun. Good luck with them.

I can't see what the issue is with the right eye. Can you take a close up shot? I'll throw a word of caution out about using heat on the helmet. Unless you know exactly what you're doing, it could get away from you in a hurry and the helmet is not something you want to take a chance with. Just my 2 cents

• Like 1

The ears are definitely a pain. Just don't try and over due it. I don't think they'll ever get perfect. I gave up on mine and decided to just leave them with a bit of a gap.

Yeah, the ears are never fun. Good luck with them.

I can't see what the issue is with the right eye. Can you take a close up shot? I'll throw a word of caution out about using heat on the helmet. Unless you know exactly what you're doing, it could get away from you in a hurry and the helmet is not something you want to take a chance with. Just my 2 cents

Its just a little tiny bent on the upper outside of the eye. The clamp got away from me a bit. I may just not mess with it, its just my OCD on making it perfect lol.

The maker always sees the imperfections of their build lol...

thanks for the encouragement guys...

Dont trim off so much with your first cut ... start off with a thick ear and slowly ... SLOWLY ... whittle that sucker down to fit .

Take your time with the ears ... if you think they will be done quickly, youre mistaken.

I think it took me roughly 2-3 hours per ear to get it where i wanted it.