justjoseph63

Thigh trimming question..

Hola!  I need some advice about trimming down the tops of my thighs...  I (and others) noticed that they ride a bit high, and that there was too little separation between the bottom of the thighs and the calves.  I took a suggestion from Tino and trimmed down the bottom of the calf pieces, but was wondering about trimming the thigh tops.  Do I need a return edge?  I borrowed this pic that looks like it doesn't have one, (it may, though, can't tell for sure) along with my pic before the calf trim.  I will buy a heat sealing iron if necessary, but am just a bit leery about using it.  Thanks for any suggestions/comments!!10910fab-d71f-46bf-9480-6bf7eb6b2559_zpsdf9bd855-ab36-43c8-8a01-1f73dcf544cf_zps

Edited by justjoseph63

Actually, Tusken is right. I was just imagining the right thigh which would be easy to trim on the bottom since its covered by the ammo pack. The left side would be an issue if you trimmed the bottom.

Thanks for the feedback, but I don't think I can trim the bottoms because of the design of the "lip" there.  Plus, The ammo pack is secured with rivets and a heavy dose of E-6000. 

UPDATE:  Well, I took the plunge, and went ahead and trimmed about 5mm off the top of the thighs.  Between that and trimming the lower part of the calves, I think I'm in good shape now.  One thing I noticed is that it is SOOOO much easier to move around!  Just the removal of the return edges took off about 3/4 of an inch, and now they don't rub together or stick out at the sides.  To get to EIB, will I need to add some of the edge back?  Thanks!

Edited by justjoseph63

Joe,

I trimmed a TON off the tops of mine. When I first completed my build, I walked around like 3PO because there was no travel at all in my knee area. No black was showing in my knees or my groin area. I'm not sure how much total we chopped but it was a lot. Just make sure you don't have a lot of space in the knee area and that the tops follow the cod piece.  

• Like 1

Sorry to chime in late here, but the originals had no return edge, so trim from the top and follow the existing contour.

Yes you can only trim so much from the bottom of your shins before they look too short.

If you wanted to, you can always use a crafting iron to make a new return edge,at the tops, just practice first on some spare ABS to get used to how quickly the plastic heats to a moldable level.

There isn't much that you can trim from the bottom of the thighs, if you aligned the bottom ridge all the work needs to be done at the tops.

Good luck, and post your result photos.

• Like 2

What Andrew said!! ;) +1

Definitely trim the tops of thigh pieces, no return edge required.

• Like 1

Many thanks to you all!  One word to say... WHEW!  I was seriously worried about this, but now I feel much better knowing that I can move up the ranks!!!! 

Thanks for the feedback, but I don't think I can trim the bottoms because of the design of the "lip" there.  Plus, The ammo pack is secured with rivets and a heavy dose of E-6000. 

UPDATE:  Well, I took the plunge, and went ahead and trimmed about 5mm off the top of the thighs.  Between that and trimming the lower part of the calves, I think I'm in good shape now.  One thing I noticed is that it is SOOOO much easier to move around!  Just the removal of the return edges took off about 3/4 of an inch, and now they don't rub together or stick out at the sides.  To get to EIB, will I need to add some of the edge back?  Thanks!

Pics or it never happened!  :P

just to be clear, the original armour did have a return edge.

this gives the illusion of thickness as shown on other parts of the armour. 

You should try to keep the return edge on whenever comfortable and as required. 

5ecb2d7b-bd99-49a6-adcc-d42af8bcb347.jpg 8df77df6-e330-43f7-ba6c-f6e83cb78567.jpg

• Like 1

Thank YOU!  Essentially a straight edge from the joint to the bottom of the inner piece...my cheeks thank you!  Did you cut it with a knife or dremil?

Will this mod be an EIB issue?

Joseph,

I ran into the same problem with you my friend. I would personally trim the top as everyone has stated. Take off a little bit at a time, and fit the thigh around your leg to see how much you need to trim. YOU DO NOT WANT TO OVER TRIM.  Go over with a pencil, follow the curves and etc. Personally, I used a Dremel on my abs armor, shaved off abs til the white line. sanded it down. After that, I went to my local hobby store to buy a sealing iron. "used to make hobby planes & boats" I went around and added a slight return edge, but remember you just give it a slight bend when you put the iron over the abs. I will attach you Pandatrooper's return edge youtube videos. after putting the return edge, sand it down, shine it up and you are good to go :) if you need any questions, I'm here to help. Good Luck! 

• Like 1