Legacy Era Joker Squad - Jes Gistang CRL Development

Copied text.  Photos and layout did not import over.

-------------

COSTUME REFERENCE LIBRARY

Female Stormtrooper, Star Wars: Legacy, Joker Squad - Jes Gistang

Model TK-30305 Shannon Shively

Description: Stormtrooper, Joker Squad – Jes Gistang

Prefix: TK

Detachment: First Imperial Stormtrooper Detachment 
Context: Star Wars: Legacy (Comic Series)

“Jes Gistang is in charge of the big gun…†– Sergeant Ran Harkas

Jes Gistang was a Corellian female that served as a stormtrooper in the 407th Stormtrooper Division on the Joker Squad.

The 501st approval requirements are listed in black.

Special Notes:

• Blasters are not required for legion membership per our weapons policy.
  • The armor parts shall be made from one of these types of materials or like materials: White fiberglass, ABS (Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene), HIPS (High Impact Polystyrene), or Polyvinyl chloride (PVC).

Helmet

For 501st approval:

·       Traps (trapezoids on dome of helmet) are gray.

·       Tears (area beneath the corners of eye lenses) remain white.

• Lenses may be green or smoke, sufficiently dark enough to obscure the costumer's eyes.
  • The “ear†bars may have three or four bumps and are grey or painted grey, with a black outline.
  • Frown is painted black and does not leave the teeth area. Eight total teeth on the frown are cut out and the frown is tapered at the ends.
  • Tube stripes are black with (11) or (13) per side, but can be between (9) and (16) per side with the curve bends extending backwards.
  • Vocoder (vertically ribbed chin detail) is painted black.
  • Aerators/Hovi mix tips (cylinders on either side of the vocoder) are black or painted black.
  • Tears, traps, and tube stripes may be hand painted, decals, or decals that replicate hand painted.
  • Mesh may be used behind the frown to obscure the face of the wearer.
  • Black trim must be present on the brow and the neck opening of the helmet.
  • The helmet is accurate in detail and proportion to official references.

Neck Seal

For 501st approval:

·      Black with horizontal ribs, fitted to the wearer, and extending from the base of the neck to just below the chin line. 

Under Suit
For 501st approval:

·      Black non-textured material, either one-piece or two-piece construction with no visible zippers or logos/designs. 

Shoulder Straps

For 501st approval:

·      These shall be securely mounted in front with adhesive and may free float in back.

Shoulder Bells

For 501st approval:

·      One on each shoulder. The shoulder bells are considered effectively symmetrical; they may be worn interchangeably on the left and right shoulders and should have a black elastic strap that wraps around the inside of the bicep. 

Biceps

For 501st approval:

·      Biceps are fully closed. 

Forearms

For 501st approval:

·      Forearms are fully closed. 

·      Exterior (long) edge must be overlapped to represent the vambraces.  The cut edge should face the back.

Hand Plates

For 501st approval:

·      Roughly pentagonal in shape, the hand plates are mounted securely over the back of the glove.

Gloves

For 501st approval:

·      Black in color, made of either rubber, nomex, leather, or leather-like material, with no visible straps or logos/designs. The fingers are enclosed, non-textured. 

Chest

For 501st approval:

·      Chest plate overlaps the abdominal plate. 

·      Chest and back shall be connected with a white or black fabric or preferably elastic strap at the shoulders.

·      Chest and back are connected at the sides via white or black fabric or Velcro.

Abdomen Armor

For 501st approval:

·      The abdomen armor has an indented button area with 10 indentations that are vertical and parallel to each other on both sides of the center square detailing.

·      Ideally there no gap between the abdomen and kidney armor.

·      A single visible seam line is present on both sides.

·      Two rivets, approximately 5/16"(8mm) diameter, are present on the left side of the abdomen armor, covered by chest/back armor and the belt boxes.

·      Two male snap on the top right corner and bottom right corner of the ab plate is present, covered by chest/back armor and the belt boxes.

·      Abdomen armor buttons are integrated and indented directly on the armor. No separate buttons are allowed.

Back

For 501st approval:

·      Back plate must contain geometric pattern similar to comic reference back details.

·      Back plate shall overlap the kidney armor.

Kidney Armor

For 501st approval:

·      A separate kidney plate is present, split from the posterior armor. 

·      Thermal Detonator shall be affixed to the kidney plate, 1 inch above the top of the belt.

Posterior Armor

For 501st approval:

·      A separate butt plate is required, attached to the kidney plate via elastic or other method. 

Belt

For 501st approval:

·      Belt shall be made of plastic 

·      There shall be eleven (6 front, 5 back) symmetrical plastic boxes attached vertically to the belt.

·      There shall be two larger ammo boxes attached to the sides of the belt at the lateral most portion of the thorax.

Belt Boxes

For 501st approval:

·      Belt boxes shall be made of plastic 

·      Belt box is on each side of the belt, covering the seam between the two pieces of the belt.

·      Belt boxes may have a hinged lid.  The boxes do not need to be functional.

Thermal Detonator

For 501st approval:

·      Shall be attached to the kidney armor (not belt) 1 inch above the top of the belt and include white tube with white end caps and flat panel along the center.

·      The thermal detonator has two thin strips approximately 1/8†away from the end caps.

·      The thermal detonator is all white.

·      The thermal detonator is attached without visible attachments.

Thigh Armor

For 501st approval:

·      Thigh armor shall be closed in the back with strain vertical seams.

·      The knees shall be connected with 1 inch white elastic and secured without visible rivets or snaps.  Elastic end should be covered by caps on thigh armor.

Knee Armor

For 501st approval:

·      Must be hexagonal in shape with built in straps connecting to the thigh with no visible rivets using elastic or canvas strap.

Lower Leg Armor

For 501st approval:

·      Greaves close in the back across the seam that lines up with the thigh seam via velcro or snaps

·      Butt joint is required in the front.  Overlap construction is not allowed.

Boots

For 501st approval:

·      Boots are above ankle height and made of white leather or leather-like material.

·      The boots are flat soled.

·      No buckles or laces.

·      There shall be a single raised vertical strip running from toe to tongue, approximately 1/3 the width of the shoe.

This CRL is in development.  First draft, with photos For Placement Only.

Comments and feedback are welcome.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3j5J1aCXC3zXzA2MGl2ZXNWRGs/view?usp=sharing

YES!!! finally, this is sooo helpful to me right now. Thanks for posting this :)

Welcome, Kaylee.  I'll be posting part by part later tonight showing the individual parts in larger format in the build thread.  

Unfortunately, I didn't document the actual build too well... but hope to rectify that soon :)

Hopefully (if the vote goes well) we'll have a new LMO very soon that is amenable to moving forward with this CRL. He happens to be very pro TK given that is name is: stormtrooperguy 

-Eric

• Like 1

My motivation to post this was just that I get asked about the CRL at least a few times every week over FB, Instagram, or even here.  I want to help the ladies (and some of the guys who got suckered into building their wife's armor... ahem) out that are digging this armor and wanting to join the 501st!

So here's to hoping!

• Like 1

Welcome, Kaylee.  I'll be posting part by part later tonight showing the individual parts in larger format in the build thread.  

Unfortunately, I didn't document the actual build too well... but hope to rectify that soon :)

Awesome, ill keep a look out since i will be assembling this weekend :)

My ears are burning!

The first few weeks, should I get voted in, will be about catching up on backlog work. There's going to be a period of awkwardness for a while while the legion sorts out politics.

If, in the end, I land there for the long haul, I will definitely want to get a CRL up for Jes asap. I had the pleasure of seeing this kit in person for the first time this weekend, and would want to make sure builders had the reference they need.

So... I wouldn't expect movement on day 1, but I do have a soft spot for white armor. :)

I see a couple things.

Helmet section about the ears, there is mention of the grey being outlined with black. I do not believe any current fem troopers have that nor do I agree that it should be there.

Next, the wording of the closer of the back of the shin is very suggestive, meaning that if someone needs to have some extension strips installed on the back of the shins to help close the gap, then they are essentially disqualified simply due to their size and the way that the common kit for this was constructed.

I believe a simple change of words will eliminate this problem.

EDIT

I also dont like the wording "flat soled" is correct for the boots. There is a very small heel. To me, flat soled is more like a clone trooper boot than the Jes boot that has been accepted

Edited by neoakaj

I'm hoping to get the CRL draft online in the next couple of days.

It seems that there has been a split in effort, with several people working on content. I feel like this costume belongs in FISD, and FISD should define the standard.

Here are my thoughts:

Regarding the back plate: I personally have no objections to approval being either comic or statue style. I think there are references for both, and it's not insane to suggest that troopers might have different models of armor.

I don't think we should call this a face character, Jes Gistang, specifically. I think Legacy Trooper, Female would be better. Having it be a generic character means that there is no potential conflict if 30 people want to wear the suit at the same event. Since it's already been established that a helmet is required for approval, I don't see any advantage to naming Jes specifically.

I've seen the greaves in person and they are VERY small... I suspect many people will need a cover strip up the back. I don't see any problem with that.

For boots, I agree that "low heel" is better than "flat". Even OT TK boots aren't "flat".

All are great catches, and this is the exact reason I started this thread :)

If there was a way to make the first post a "wiki", that sure would make collaboration easier...

Brian - do you want me to send you my word document, if that saves you any time?

Edited by bzb

May I suggest

Stormtrooper: Legacy Era Female

We're already using TK designation for them... or at least that's what was assigned to Shannon.

The costume has been officially assigned to FISD, and a skeletal CRL is up:

http://www.501st.com/databank/Costuming:Legacy_Trooper_Female

bzb, if you can email me the document / pics, I can handle getting them online. brian at stormtrooperguy dot com. 

Can I confess my love for you!!!! JK

Thanks for making some movement on this. To be honest, the previous LMO and FISD DL's attitude toward this costume had my fiancee and myself so discouraged on this costume that I did not even want to finish it.

Do we have any links to the specific visual references that will be used for CRL development? 

I'm only asking because there seem to be more than a few "may" and "either/ors" in the current CRL draft.

If this is to allow for level 2 and 3 approval with different standards, I understand that, but the CRL should be built in that capacity from the start if we're including options.  

For instance, are there reference materials that display both three and four bars on the ears?  Are there references that show both smoke and green lenses?  Should the lenses be flat or are there bubbles in any references?  Are there references that imply U vs S trim?  Do the references depict differing numbers of Tube Stripes, or are they consistent throughout? 

That's just some of the questions that can be raised about the helmet alone.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to be negative in any way, I think that the costume definitively belongs in the FISD, and that there is no other group capable of developing a viable CRL for it and giving it the recognition that it deserves, but I also feel it would be a dis-service to prospective members to issue a lesser CRL for basic approval and begin making multiple changes over time, resulting in the early kits becoming viewed in a negative light.

All CRLs are living documents.  If there are references that show that, then yes, I would imagine the CRL would be updated.  What you bring up is not really different than the FX armor debate.  But this thread isn't for debate on the validity of the costume (which, honestly, isn't up for debate anymore), it's to develop it for everyone else.

I do not see a way for us to do 2nd and/or 3rd tier approvals for this costume at this time... and there isn't truly a need for that at this time, either.  

The baseline CRL needs to be created, as we already have at least 4 ladies approved under the "minimum," and there is at least 100 of these armor kits out there in the wild, with many of the ladies stalled, waiting for this.

Sorry I'm just now seeing this Brian - the document is coming over to you now.

Edited by bzb

Things I'd like to see updated before we go live with it:

- on the helmet, the generic ANH language about '3-4 bumps' and 'assorted crazy uneven stripes' should be updated to reflect the legacy style.

- is anyone actually using bubble lenses, should we just say flat, or should we leave it to the builder (i'd prefer to specify)

- do we really want to approve hand painted, or should we require decals/stencils. i'd say the latter... the hand painted thing was, imo, a rushed OT prop team thing, not an intentional design element.

- for the boots, clarify if the sole should be black, white or "doesn't matter", which will answer the question about regular TK boots being acceptable. the legacy troopers i've seen so far have had white soles.

- for the backplate, make a detachment-endorsed-decision about comic vs. gentle giant. i'm OK with accepting both, as long as both have clearly documented references.

It looks like the Drive document has all of the images we need other than the full length front/back. We can always replace images later, but in order to 'go green' on the crl, we need to have it 100% complete.

I'm going to be doing Legion work this evening, so if we can get all of that sorted by around 9pm EST, I should be able to get the CRL online.

Edited by stormtrooperguy
  • Like 1

Look I'm alive!

Things I'd like to see updated before we go live with it:

- on the helmet, the generic ANH language about '3-4 bumps' and 'assorted crazy uneven stripes' should be updated to reflect the legacy style.

Can someone put together some comic and GG statue helmet references in this thread today? I'd like to see more information before we decide anything.

- is anyone actually using bubble lenses, should we just say flat, or should we leave it to the builder (i'd prefer to specify)

Flat seems like the way to go here. Mostly for practical reasons even if the reference material shows bubble. If the comic or statue have bubble let's go with "flat or bubble"

- do we really want to approve hand painted, or should we require decals/stencils. i'd say the latter... the hand painted thing was, imo, a rushed OT prop team thing, not an intentional design element.

I see no reason why this helmet must (as in required to be) be of a hand painted style a la ANH stunt. It is an idealized costume and wiggly lines don't make sense. If people are capable of painting the helmet well enough we shouldn't stop them. As long as it doesn't look like an impolite person. 

- for the boots, clarify if the sole should be black, white or "doesn't matter", which will answer the question about regular TK boots being acceptable. the legacy troopers i've seen so far have had white soles.

The statue has white with a little bit of a rugged sole. Does the comic show anything different?

I say white soles but they should be legacy trooper boots not regular TK boots with a white sole.

- for the backplate, make a detachment-endorsed-decision about comic vs. gentle giant. i'm OK with accepting both, as long as both have clearly documented references.

Both for sure. The comic and the statue have different back plates but they should both be allowable. (you're welcome Kevin)

It looks like the Drive document has all of the images we need other than the full length front/back. We can always replace images later, but in order to 'go green' on the crl, we need to have it 100% complete.

I'm at peace with it being yellow after tonight.

I'm going to be doing Legion work this evening, so if we can get all of that sorted by around 9pm EST, I should be able to get the CRL online.

That said... who has a good front and back shot of a legacy trooper? Dr. Bender is pretty wrapped up in other stuff but I'll reach out and ask him he does.

-Eric

• Like 1

What are your thoughts on the TD?

The CRL is live on 501st.com. It is yellow, meaning that it has a substantial body of work done but is not yet 100% complete.

Here's what we need:

- Higher resolution images. I used the placeholder ones from the initial google doc, but I'd like larger ones. We can easily replace those.

- Top image (full body front/back, with background edited to pure white)

- Details on acceptable accessories ( E-11? Other weapons? )

If we want to include the Gentle Giant style back detail and TD, we'll need pictures of those. On further thought, I wonder if that's complicating things unnecessarily. The debate over that already happened and the Comic style back detail is available. Is it really worth going back to the discussion again, or should we just stick to comic style only?

A nice to have would be front/back/left/right images of the helmet. 

Please take a look / proofread here:

http://www.501st.com/databank/Costuming:Legacy_Trooper_Female

My thoughts:

1. Comic style is wiggly, so wiggly lines make sense if that's the approval you're going for.  It doesn't HAVE to (as we have allowed ANH troopers with decals) but I don't think that it should disqualify either way for base 501st acceptance.

2. If you're going comic style for approval, it needs the correct backplate, detonator (all white), and small heeled clone-style boots as a combo.

3. Similarly, if you're going statue for approval, it needs the original backplate, the original det (with a gray cylinder), and the chunky heeled Chelsea-style boots.

4. Boots should be white soled on either.

I have photos of Shannon's front and back in comic style and will Photoshop the background out and upload those this evening.  

I'll move her suit to "statue" specs, paint the det gray, and take photos of those parts, as well.  Might take me until this weekend, but I'll get on it.