Armor parts

Perhaps this is an odd question and not sure if it has been asked before. I'm on a really tight and unforgiving budget with that being said, is it possible to build armor piece by piece or can you only find it in sets?

I'm asking because I have seen several posts here that refer to replacement parts.

Thanks in advance.

You could, but with freight charges every time you need to order the next part, it would cost you much more than necessary in the end :)

Ah ok I was just thinking if this was possible even though it would stretch out the time of the build it would also grant me the time to not be overwhelmed. That and it would allow me to focus solely on the pieces I had on hand. Such as if I got my bucket first I could spend time focusing in the detail of it. I can hyper focus but sometimes I get to the point where I feel I need to do it all at one time and then end up putting all aside.

To order a helmet first, build it and have some "Star Wars" in hands is completely okay.

I think, that is how the majority of us started ...

You get to know the material, the handling and you have something you can proudly display.

It is not cheap, but at least not as high as the price tag for a whole suit.

But to order different pieces of the whole suit one after the other doesn't make too much sense ...

First of all, like Andrew already said, it'll be a lot more expensive in the end.

Second, I imagine that as heavily frustrating. Say you have the helmet and the chest. Trim it, strap it, adjust it, display it.

Wear it? Not really.

Then you start saving money again. How long will it take until you can afford the next batch? One month, two months, half a year? And not every armor maker is able to deliver stante pede. Add the waiting time and you'll have a gap between the first parts of your armour and the next ones of ... what?... three quarters of a year?

I bet you lost interest by that time, and you will end up with a helmet and a chest you cannot use for anything.

Create a dedicated account with your bank and force yourself to save a fixed amount of money every month. When you have the funds, order in one go.

Receiving the big brown box with all the goodies inside you need, is a feeling you can't really describe.

• Like 4

Being overwhelmed, I think it just par for the course with this hobby.

First you have the MASSIVE rescource that is the FISD.

Then you have a sharp learning curve and a lot to remember.

Then the big brown box arrives, you are excited beyond belief, so you open it up,spread it across the floor and take the obligatory photos, and....

It's time to make your first cut......terror, what if I do it wrong, what if I stuff it up......

But it's ok, we have all been there, we are here for you, to help, give advise, to answer your questions.

Take your time, start with something like your forearms, see what the first cut feels like. Trust me, once you make your first cut, your confidence will sky rocket, and you will love every minute of it.

I wish you the very best with your build, here if you need help.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Sly that is sort of what I am thinking as well. Just get to it and it will be good. I'm also close to my local garrison if I need the hands on help.

Razor, thanks for the link I was just looking for that list. I think I'll pass on the fan system in the beginning but I'm sure it will come in handy later. Being in the PNW we have a pretty moderate climate.

So would ATA armor be good for me I think I fit the rough scale of the "standard". I'm 5'10" and around 175-180 lbs.

Check with some of the makers, seems like I've read some may have a payment plan if that's something you'd want to do. But yeah, it's better to get the whole kit.

Best of luck with your TK journey! :)

I will give you the best advise I can when it comes to any hobby.

Start by finding exactly what you want, every bit and piece, and every other piece that is simply a want. Take all of that information and write it down somewhere with price and where you found it (I do Excel spreadsheets), then figure out what the grand total for EVERYTHING you could ever want will be. Now, sit down and look at your paychecks and your monthly bills to figure out what you have left over. Take part of that left over and put it away somewhere that you wont touch it. I call this my extra fun money. Save, save, save, and save again until you hit a point that you can sit back down and look at what you can afford and decide, "Do I want to keep saving to get these parts too or do I want to spend what I have on this stuff now?"

The best part is that money is always there in the event something comes up that has to be paid for right away (unexpected bills, etc). I use this for almost all of my hobbies, expensive or not, and it has actually helped me get to a point where when I counted the other day I can afford to get everything I want for my TK build right off the bat in one big shot. 

Hopefully this helps you out a little bit, but if you need some more explanation feel free to PM me. 

Edited by FNGmacaroni
  • Like 1

I think I may need help mostly with what armor will be best for my build. I think I read somewhere that ATA would be good for me.just not sure. Thanks for the tip on the squirreling the funds to the side.