Zarlon's First ANH Build Thread (ATA)

While I'm thinking about it, I have another question. what type of glue should I use to attach the flexible rubber hand plates to the rubber gloves?

I have 3 sets of gloves, the only thing that worked with rubber gloves is CA, my one pair of textured I used E6000.

I have 3 sets of gloves, the only thing that worked with rubber gloves is CA, my one pair of textured I used E6000.

Ok..looks like another trip to the store. Thanks!

I got some more work done on the kidney shims this morning. I think it's time to kick this build into gear and get it finished. It seems like I've been working on it forever!

The first step for today was to work on the return edges. I used the thread HERE to help with this. I'm still not very good at it but by the end I was getting better.

DSC00280_zpsizxgujsh.jpg

DSC00281_zpss86leobf.jpg

DSC00282_zpsdbkqzfit.jpg

Once I got the edges where I wanted them I give the seams another coat of Bondo.

DSC00285_zpsbrcjfbhc.jpg

I'm still not sure about the bottom return edge. It's not really fitting nicely to the front chest plate when I mate them so I'm thinking about cutting off the bottom return edge. Any thoughts on this ?

DSC00286_zpsisxmhbaf.jpg

Got some more work done tonight.

I attached the ammo pack to the right thigh.

DSC00287_zps6axqlnuz.jpg

DSC00288_zps9qgf8xnn.jpg

DSC00289_zpsvskilng0.jpg

DSC00290_zpsmzofc3mb.jpg

You'll notice that i didn't use split rivets for the attachments points because I couldn't find any more locally. I ended up using cap rivets from Tandy that are the same diameter as the split rivets.

The CRL states:

For level two certification (if applicable):

• Thigh ammo belt is attached to thigh with a solid head rivet or fastener in the upper corner and fastened to the lower thigh ridge.
    • The solid head rivet attachment is painted white.
    • Standard pop rivets are not allowed
  • The bottom corners of the thigh ammo belt are rounded off.

Hopefully these cap rivets will work because if they don't I'm not sure what I'll do.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all...Just popping in to say t hat I'm still here and working on the build. I should have more photos up tomorrow. In the meantime Here is a link to some photo's I took this past weekend down in Disney World.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still working but haven't had much time to post pictures. I do have a question regarding Centurion Status. I currently have a Hasbro Mod E-11 and I know that it won't work for Centurion level. My question is whether or no the Hyperfirm DLT-19 would work if I bought that instead of getting another E-11? Any insight would be appreciated.

I'm still working but haven't had much time to post pictures. I do have a question regarding Centurion Status. I currently have a Hasbro Mod E-11 and I know that it won't work for Centurion level. My question is whether or no the Hyperfirm DLT-19 would work if I bought that instead of getting another E-11? Any insight would be appreciated.

Yes

• Like 1

Thanks Tony...I assume all the other requirements stay the same (i.e keep the E-11 holster) even though I'd be submitting my Centurion application with the DLT-19 instead of the E-11? I'm hoping to be ready for 501st approval this weekend and I've been building with Centurion in mind all along.

Thanks Tony...I assume all the other requirements stay the same (i.e keep the E-11 holster) even though I'd be submitting my Centurion application with the DLT-19 instead of the E-11? I'm hoping to be ready for 501st approval this weekend and I've been building with Centurion in mind all along.

Yes, the only thing that has changed is the fact you're holding a different gun. 

Good luck on your approval. 

BTW when will you be submitting for EIB.

Yes, the only thing that has changed is the fact you're holding a different gun. 

Good luck on your approval. 

BTW when will you be submitting for EIB.

Probably when I get the DLT-19. If I'm going to get it for Centurion I might as well use it for EIB also. Right now I just want to get basic approval. I've been working on this thing way to long and I'm getting burned out. I still have to attach the holster to the belt, add the strap attaching the cod piece and butt piece, and make a few more fitting adjustments. I'll post pics on here before I submit to make sure I didn't miss anything.

Well I'm getting close to the end game but I need some major help with fitting. I'm really worried the the ATA armor will never look decent on a bigger guy like me and in turn I won't be able to get to Centurion with it.Here are just some of the issues I'm facing:

Problem #1

The chest piece is crooked (or at least it looks that way to me). I've tried adjusting the straps on the left side but that seems to make it worse.

Test%20fit-1_zpsbvihcvg1.jpg

Don't mind the shoulder bells. I'm not going to strap them down until I get the shoulder strap/crooked chest problem straightened out.

Problem #2

The back plate is way to narrow for my back. I have no clue how to even attempt to correct this.

Test%20fit-2_zpsedjjtxob.jpg

Problem #3

The back plate doesn't sit on my back. It bows out too much and leaves an ugly gap

Test%20fit-4_zpsw3azuqxj.jpg

Test%20fit-3_zpsavdfpmz9.jpg

Problem #4

The blaster holster I bought from Trooperbay didn't come with a long enough strap. Unless I'm doing something wrong, It's about two inches short and won't wrap around the blaster handle and still fit in the back slot. I know I can go to Tandy Leather tomorrow and have the guys there help me out but it's frustrating. 

DSC00087_zpslkqitrmc.jpg

DSC00088_zps8hiwkroe.jpg

That's enough venting for one evening. I just really want to get this finished, I want it to look good, and I've spent a ton of money to make sure I can get Centurion approval. I guess I'm also freaking out a bit because this the first time getting a little down about the whole process. Thanks for letting me rant and please provide any suggestions you might have.

I dont really notice the chest being crooked.  Not much you can do about how narrow the back piece is- get everything together and suit up and let's see how it all looks!  

For the curve of the back, you could shorten your strapping to the chest to bring it up a bit, maybe also try heating and bending it slightly.  

My holster has the same problem with the short strap- I am always holding my blaster though, but when I'm not, it still holds fine without the strap.  

I'm 6'2" but I have a long torso and shorter legs. If I pull the back piece up further then it leaves a big gap between the back and the kidney. That's another struggle I've been having.

I'm 6' and had to pull everything up to get the back to fit correctly. I swear the ATA was designed for someone 5'10", it looks small on me.

At least I know it's not just me then. I might have to live with it for a while, then try to replace the back with a different maker or something. I don't know what else to do.

Just a suggestion. Separate the cod from the ab. This will allow you to raise the ab and kidney plate, which is covered by the belt when kitted up.

You can keep the gap closed between kidney and back and raise the back/chest by maybe as much as an inch. That might help address the issues you have.

Edited by Khazid

Just a suggestion. Separate the cod from the ab. This will allow you to raise the ab and kidney plate, which is covered by the belt when kitted up.

You can keep the gap closed between kidney and back and raise the back/chest by maybe as much as an inch. That might help address the issues you have.

That might be a last resort but something I'll keep in mind..I'd hate to make such a drastic change if I can prevent it.

Well the Leather strap has been fixed and now I guess you can add Leather working to the list of things learned during this build. The belt is officially complete.

DSC00089.1_zps7akkue3s.jpg

DSC00090.1_zpsobrwduya.jpg

The TD is complete!

After cutting the 2" pipe I noticed that it was a bit thick for the end caps. To compensate for this I to the grinder to the ends of the pipe.

DSC00430_zpsll4axd9r.jpg

DSC00429_zpsgdmdtuli.jpg

With the end caps on, I located the TD clips and marked the holes for proper placement.

DSC00431_zps6bysbsqe.jpg

DSC00432_zpsfnqoxjt3.jpg

Once everything was drilled it was time for a couple coats of paint and some sealant.

DSC00433_zpspn8hdcbm.jpg

DSC00434_zps8p4z5phc.jpg

Glued on the TD plate, screwed down the clips and...

DSC00438_zps2egezff9.jpg

Finished!

DSC00439_zpsrfsrhenl.jpg

I got everything strapped up and put on this morning and went out for my first photo shoot. I think I'm almost ready to submit my approval photos but I want to get everyone's opinion first. I know I have a ways to go but I think I'm close to basic approval. Give your good and bad...I want to hear it all. Be prepared because there will be a lot of photos

Up first are the full body shots:

Submission%20Photos%20-1_zpsssr2zq3o.jpg

Submission%20Photos%20-2_zpsmucj3yva.jpg

Submission%20Photos%20-3_zpssdf8pojv.jpg

Submission%20Photos%20-4_zps2rs25gae.jpg

Submission%20Photos%20-5_zpszmmxndlw.jpg

Submission%20Photos%20-6_zpsqeybpexj.jpg

Submission%20Photos%20-7_zpsuojglg66.jpg

Submission%20Photos%20-8_zpsuwmzpstu.jpg

Submission%20Photos%20-9_zpsgrjrpxdi.jpg

Submission%20Photos%20-10_zpskgwujah9.jp

Submission%20Photos%20-11_zpskkxvxref.jp