Zarlon's First ANH Build Thread (ATA)

Just checking in to let you all know I'm still alive and I'll be posting an update soon. Work has been crazy lately so I haven't had as much time to build.

• Like 2

As promised, it's time for another update. This time around I've been able to start the thighs.

DSC00141_zpsgu2ma2mj.jpg

I started by trimming most of the return edge off (I left about 1/8th of an inch) and sanding the edges of the inner and outer thighs.

DSC00146_zpspuphcbet.jpg

I started to use painters tape to mark my cut lines. This trick has really worked out well for me.

DSC00147_zpsksxhtgvl.jpg

DSC00142_zpsaf832jy9.jpg

It was also at this point that I went out and got a respirator mask to help keep the plastic dust out of my lungs.

DSC00148_zpsegqj7pey.jpg

Once i got the edges trimmed it was time to glue the inside strips in place.

DSC00143_zpsaebxjikd.jpg

While the strips were drying I did some more trim work.

DSC00144_zps0fnqncwr.jpg

DSC00145_zpsaymo2ycz.jpg

Once the right side of the thigh was dry, I glued the left side and then let it dry overnight.

DSC00158_zpsyzl3rtv5.jpg

I got a little more done on the right thigh piece yesterday and today. I had already glued everything once but after looking at it I didn't like the way the seems were matching up so I pulled the back portion of it apart and went back at it again. Below is the finished result. It still has a bit of a gap but I think I'll accept it for now and maybe come back to it later.

DSC00160_zpswaumzoic.jpg

One thing I did do to try and make the gap a little less noticeable was to put a piece of leftover plastic on the back side. This gave it some stability and closed the gap a bit.

DSC00161_zpsss9v1qyp.jpg

Is this gap acceptable? What do you guys think?

I just ran a cover strip like your doing... here's mine. The cover strip helps with the gap and offset. You're doing great.

ThighA1.jpg

Awesome. Thanks for the confirmation!

I got a little more work done on the thighs tonight. I cut the front cover strip and glued it on. Now the 12 hr. curing process begins.

DSC00170_zpsvufflmur.jpg

DSC00169_zpstmq0kqfi.jpg

For this post I wanted to give you all a little tip on how I've been cutting the cover strips. Below is a picture of one of the plastics sheets that comes with the ATA armor kit. As you can see Terrell has written down the size of the cover strips.

DSC00163_zpstjlip9f3.jpg

When it comes to cutting I now have the following procedure down pat.

1.  Mark the cut line with a pencil.

DSC00171_zpsrlnlzgbg.jpg

2. Use a piece of painters tape to "connect the dots" of your pencil mark,

DSC00174_zpsfpamytge.jpg

3.Once again measure the distance of your painters tape to make sure you have the correct width.

DSC00176_zps01mjwicz.jpg

4. Carefully score the plastic along the edge of the painters tape. I usually run over it twice pressing rather hard the second time. The goal is to get a good line scored without cutting all the way through.

DSC00165_zpsimwv2fcc.jpg

5. Flip the plastic sheet over so that the side you scored is now facing down.

6. Bend the plastic along the score line starting from right to left.

DSC00166_zpselbyhqzm.jpg

Keep bending all the way to the left side.

DSC00167_zpsr2kwaaws.jpg

DSC00168_zpsyzluxf9a.jpg

Once that's done I give the edges a sanding with paper or on the belt sander and then its ready to be glued on.

For this post I wanted to give you all a little tip on how I've been cutting the cover strips. Below is a picture of one of the plastics sheets that comes with the ATA armor kit. As you can see Terrell has written down the size of the cover strips.

DSC00163_zpstjlip9f3.jpg

When it comes to cutting I now have the following procedure down pat.

1.  Mark the cut line with a pencil.

DSC00171_zpsrlnlzgbg.jpg

2. Use a piece of painters tape to "connect the dots" of your pencil mark,

DSC00174_zpsfpamytge.jpg

3.Once again measure the distance of your painters tape to make sure you have the correct width.

DSC00176_zps01mjwicz.jpg

4. Carefully score the plastic along the edge of the painters tape. I usually run over it twice pressing rather hard the second time. The goal is to get a good line scored without cutting all the way through.

DSC00165_zpsimwv2fcc.jpg

5. Flip the plastic sheet over so that the side you scored is now facing down.

6. Bend the plastic along the score line starting from right to left.

DSC00166_zpselbyhqzm.jpg

Keep bending all the way to the left side.

DSC00167_zpsr2kwaaws.jpg

DSC00168_zpsyzluxf9a.jpg

Once that's done I give the edges a sanding with paper or on the belt sander and then its ready to be glued on.

Belt sander, such a cheater  :laugh1: . Great idea.

Also, this may be hindsight but a 2' steel ruler makes for perfectly straight edges  ;)

Belt sander, such a cheater :laugh1: . Great idea.

Also, this may be hindsight but a 2' steel ruler makes for perfectly straight edges ;)

Thanks Tony! I actually tried the ruler idea but it kept sliding around the cutting table and annoyed me:)

Thanks Tony! I actually tried the ruler idea but it kept sliding around the cutting table and annoyed me:)

You will need to clamp the metal ruler to the cutting table to prevent it from sliding.

Try some masking tap on one side of the ruler. Not a total fix but really helps. That all I use now. Then make three or four real light cuts do you are not putting pressure on the edge of the ruler. This gets the cut started, then you almost song need a ruler and you can finish the cut with medium pressure.

Then bend and snap!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Try some masking tap on one side of the ruler. Not a total fix but really helps. That all I use now. Then make three or four real light cuts do you are not putting pressure on the edge of the ruler. This gets the cut started, then you almost song need a ruler and you can finish the cut with medium pressure.

Then bend and snap!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dang what's the thickness of your ATA strip Russell? I used a large exacto knife and a steel ruler. 1st cut along the ruler, remove the ruler a 3 more cuts and the strip splits with little effort. Maybe I have more muscles :laugh1:  

• Like 1

When using the Cut'n Snap method, if you are having to apply a lot of pressure to the knife try changing out the blade. A super sharp edge makes a huge difference.

In my past projects I always wound up with a small pile of good blades, but not sharp enough to use this method on.

just curious what are the things on the strip along the claps? magnets?

I got a little more work done on the thighs tonight. I cut the front cover strip and glued it on. Now the 12 hr. curing process begins.

DSC00170_zpsvufflmur.jpg

DSC00169_zpstmq0kqfi.jpg

Sorry about not responding earlier. I honestly think you should go,back and take a look at your helmet regarding the eye openings and the round portions of both ears. Looking at the eye openings from the inside, you can see the cut lines. When you see that, you will see that you can still remove quite a bit.post-12041-0-09215600-1430622088_thumb.jpg look at how close to the face the marked cut lines on this ATA helmet are.

As for the ears, the round portions can be brought down. Note how thin the ears are here. post-12041-0-85159900-1430622593_thumb.jpg

OK Steve I took your advice and used the belt sander to grind down the ears. How does this look?

Here is the before...

DSC00026_zpsaxujmrac.jpg

And the after...

DSC00177_zpswyxriyyv.jpg+

DSC00178_zpsh95kknbk.jpg

I also hit the eyes a little more. 

DSC00185_zpssawma13i.jpg

DSC00186_zps04nhgrf1.jpg