Zarlon's First ANH Build Thread (ATA)

Slow and steady is perfectly acceptable and advisable Kyle.  ;)

Why don't you post up a picture of the problem area, so that perhaps you can get some advice on how to get the next one done right?

Also, have you checked out Gazmosis' HOW TO on trimming the ears yet?

• Like 1

Ok guys you asked for it...here is the carnage.

DSC02762_zpsg8txko3z.jpg

DSC02763_zpsbymogrzw.jpg

DSC02764_zpsxe65yefa.jpg

DSC02765_zps1zfx0ddv.jpg

The left side is too thin, the right side it too thick, and the gaps look awful. I'm going to try again when I get home from work on Thursday but in the meantime, thanks for all of the encouragement!

One other question. What is the best way to remove a pop rivet if I need to re-position the mounting point on the left side?

Edited by Zarlon

Looks good so far to me!

Caution when drilling the rivet out. It gets really hot even if you do it quickly. If it does get too hot, the ABS around it will start melting. 

I would advise do it under running water or tiny bit at a time so it doesn't heat up. 

:)

• Like 1

You could use to remove a bit from the eyes and teeth. Ears look great!!

As for that rivet, wet a rag and place it on the backside of the rivet while drilling. This will keep everything cool.

• Like 2

Thanks for the feedback everyone! It's nice to know that it's not terrible. I think I might leave the right side as is but since I have another set of ears, I'm going for a do over on the left side. I don't like that the gap is big enough to see through to the other side.

• Like 1

You could use to remove a bit from the eyes and teeth. Ears look great!!

As for that rivet, wet a rag and place it on the backside of the rivet while drilling. This will keep everything cool.

I knew the teeth still needed some work but didn't realize the eyes could do with some trimming as well. I can see the they could use some leveling from the inside but what other part of the eyes needs some work?

Well I got some more work done on the left ear tonight. I started with a new ear to see if I could get it to look any better.

DSC02770_zpsijuyxkks.jpg

I usual, I traced a line a little below where I thought I would need to cut.

DSC02771_zpss0qzekiy.jpg

From there I took the trimming shears and cut the larger pieces off.

DSC02772_zpspskuoy9z.jpg

After that it was grind and fit for about an hour.

DSC02773_zpsd13spsur.jpg

After a while I finally got it to a semi respectable level.

DSC02774_zpsbpzpd3zz.jpg

I never was able to get the gap out completely but I'm not going to risk screwing it up any more so this is how its going to stay. I just need to clean up some of the edges by sanding them a bit and then the ears will be finished.

DSC02776_zpsoejpps3g.jpg

DSC02777_zpsdqfp7o0r.jpg

Hopefully they will pass the EIB test when I go to apply.

The ear may be a tad on the thick side on the DISK part but the lower ear is excellent !

Thanks for the feedback. I'll take another look when I'm cleaning it up.

QUESTION: What do you guys use for padding inside of your helmet and where did you buy it? I've read a few threads and got some ideas but I'd like to see what everyone else did before I choose. 

Thanks

I have tried the traditional star shaped foam and switched to these;  so easy to move around with velcro till you get them just right.  I only used 3 after all was said and done.  http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/30122-fs-military-helmet-padding-kits/

i feel you...how annoying are these EARS!!!!!!!!! holy crap....

I'm still trying to decide if I should play with them some more tonight. I think I'll mess around with one of the extra ones to see if I can get it to look better.

I have tried the traditional star shaped foam and switched to these;  so easy to move around with velcro till you get them just right.  I only used 3 after all was said and done.  http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/30122-fs-military-helmet-padding-kits/

Thanks for the info. I'll check them out!

I did some more work on the teeth last night and I'm much happier with how they turned out.

Here is the before photo:

DSC02762_zpsg8txko3z.jpg

And here is the after:

DSC00004_zpsodwmrgcv.jpg