Zarlon's First ANH Build Thread (ATA)

Well it looks like im getting to the part where I start strapping and fitting the armor. I've learned the ins and outs of snaps and finally found a solution that works for me. I started out trying to use the pliers but when I found out that they didn't work very well,  I gave in and bought the anvil / punch from the local Tandy leather store.

The first step in making the male part of the snap is to punch a hole in the strapping that I use as a base.

DSC00221_zpswltxk8ek.jpg

After that I assembled the snaps and use the punch and anvil combo to secure the snap to the strap base.

DSC00223_zpsl3utqg9v.jpg

DSC00225_zps0ieffbdi.jpg

After that, I glued the snaps onto the armor pieces.

DSC00219_zpsgeqogztu.jpg

I also glued the 1" strap to the inside of the shoulder bell. This will wrap around the bicep.

DSC00220_zpsm4rrlic7.jpg

Are you going to Comic Con this weekend ?

Unfortunately I'm not going to make it. My daughter and I are heading to Rock on the Range in Columbus tomorrow morning.

• Like 1

Well my weekend of head banging down in Columbus Ohio for Rock on the Range has finished so this morning it was time to get back to work. First off I thought I'd share a couple of pics form the weekend.

DSC00234_zps9ovbjt5p.jpg

Daddy daughter selfie with some random stranger in the back ground.

Papa%20Roach_zpscrs9y9w4.jpg

Papa Roach on the main stage

DSC00244_zpsefmqqrax.jpg

My daughter getting autographs from the guys of Like a Storm.

DSC00227_zpsjhiafgjn.jpg

Breaking Benjamin on the main stage.

We had a blast but we're both exhausted! 

Edited by Zarlon
  • Like 1

This morning I woke up and got most of the arm straps completed.

I started but measuring the length of 1" strapping and using ta lighter to seal the ends where i had made the cuts.

DSC00247_zpsggmtjl3e.jpg

Next I measured the distance showing me where to punch the strapping and punched the two required holes.

DSC00248_zpsc1semljb.jpg

After that it was time to add the snaps.

DSC00249_zpszxwr0c2d.jpg

DSC00252_zpsg5tnezk6.jpg

Once that was done it was rinse and repeat for the rest of the arm straps.

DSC00253_zpsqbl8e0tb.jpg

DSC00254_zps3g8zt0ux.jpg

DSC00255_zpsyyipcvs1.jpg

Hey Kyle, I'm looking at your bell and it says left yet you have the forearm connected as if it were your right side. Am I missing something?

Hey Kyle, I'm looking at your bell and it says left yet you have the forearm connected as if it were your right side. Am I missing something?

Was the strap supposed to be on the inside or do I have the wrong bell on the left side?

Was the strap supposed to be on the inside or do I have the wrong bell on the left side?

Look at the bell from the side if the lower section curves to one side or the other, the direction it curves goes towards the front.

If the bicep you have as the left side and is the only one with a indent then you're good. If both biceps have indents then it doesn't matter which side is which.

And finally, the strap from the bicep to the forearm is to be on the inside of the arm. Here's a pic of mine during strap gluing. The lower is the left arm, the upper the right Notice the straps.

IMG_3394.jpg

Edited by ukswrath

OK I've looked at these so many times it's giving me a headache. Lets try this the easy way. Which is left and which is right?

DSC00257_zpsjtx325ci.jpg

DSC00256_zpsaxfjt1rm.jpg

Well I think I have them fixed now but I have another question. Look at the pictures below and let me know if you think I have too much space between the bicep and the forearms. Its comfortable the way it is but I don't know if the gap is too big.

DSC00260_zpszxedqbmv.jpg

Ouch... i also just noticed that I need to sand down that trim piece.

DSC00259_zpsoy5lle6t.jpg

Also, any idea what to use to get the excess E-6000 off of the side of that trim piece? it doesn't seem to want to scrap off without a fight.

Second picture perfect. 

E6000 tough as nails, I personally ran an exacto knife parallel with the trim, between it and the glue. Picked a corner then peel it off in one chunk. 

• Like 1

Second picture perfect. 

E6000 tough as nails, I personally ran an exacto knife parallel with the trim, between it and the glue. Picked a corner then peel it off in one chunk. 

Thanks that's what I thought. The first one is just a bit too long so I shortened it. 

DSC00257_zpsjtx325ci.jpgDSC00256_zpsaxfjt1rm.jpg

I was looking at this picture last night in comparison with my MTK biceps I'm building. Earlier MTK kits have both the left and right with thumb prints. I must have a revised set because only my left bicep has the thumb print but both \__/ shape at the top. 

Edited by Airborne Trooper

Hello all!

It's time for another update. Today I started working on the shims for the kidney. I taped everything up this morning and my wife helped me measure the width I'll need for the shim. To give myself some room, I ended up cutting a 2 3/4 in strip. It's a little more than I need but I'll trim it down once I get both sides welded together. 

I've been practicing the plastic weld technique that Randy Explained in the tutorial that you can find HERE.

After practicing a bit, I've decided that I'm going to do mine a little different. I'm adding the support plate in the back before I put the plastic weld on the front.

The first step was to sand down the kidney plate to make sure it was was even and could make a good seem:

DSC00265_zpsfkovf5tk.jpg

Up next I had to cut the ABS strips to the width I needed.

DSC00267_zpsgf1j5d5a.jpg

After that it was time to glue the support strip on the back of the joint I'm going to weld. I spread the E6000 across the sides so I'd have a nice unglued strip down the middle to place the weld.

DSC00270_zps7qvzeaov.jpg

Next I placed the glued strip on the back side of the two pieces I'll weld together.

DSC00268_zpsjbtksumq.jpg

And then clamped everything in place to dry overnight.

DSC00271_zpscwwlift1.jpg

You'll notice that I didn't have enough length to make it all the way up the side of the kidney so I had to add another piece to cover it.

That's were everything stands now. I'm going to do the other side when I wake up in the morning and hopefully I'll be able to start welding tomorrow night when I get home from work.

Wish me luck...I have no idea how this is going to turn out so I just hope I don't screw it up too bad :)

Edited by Zarlon

I got some more work done on the kidney shims tonight.

I used a wood burning kit to do the actual plastic welding.

DSC00277_zpsufopvxcm.jpg

The trick for me is to push and pull the plastic almost making a little wave. 

DSC00272_zpshduh1ozs.jpg

DSC00276_zpsij8viezo.jpg

Once that was done I used the wood burner to smooth out the waves a bit.

DSC00274_zpsyvcavilu.jpg

After that I sanded them down...

DSC00278_zpswiwvwog9.jpg

and then filled everything in with Bondo.

DSC00279_zpsjgs7ajy4.jpg

Right now the Bondo is drying. Once that's completely dry I'll send everything down again. and go over any spots that I have missed.

While I'm thinking about it, I have another question. what type of glue should I use to attach the flexible rubber hand plates to the rubber gloves?