Zarlon's First ANH Build Thread (ATA)

looks great, is that gloss gray? its so shiny

It is Testors 1138 gray. This is one of the two gray paints recommended on the very helpful Helmet & Ab paint detail reference guide linked below.

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/8117-helmet-ab-paint-detail-reference-guide/?p=103308

It is Testors 1138 gray. This is one of the two gray paints recommended on the very helpful Helmet & Ab paint detail reference guide linked below.

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/8117-helmet-ab-paint-detail-reference-guide/?p=103308

of course i couldnt find that when i was at the paint store, i used testors 1163 flat

maybe i can just polish it later

of course i couldnt find that when i was at the paint store, i used testors 1163 flat

Yea.. Flat is No Bueno ... ( since its Cinco De Mayo )

:laugh1:

• Like 1

Yeah...the s a really handy post. I'm not sure why they haven't pinned it yet.

Looks great so far. I need to redo my ears, they look like your before pic lol. I bet that belt sander rules! I only recently got a Dremel, I was filing by hand before. Keep going!

Thanks! That belt sander makes a huge difference!

I actually had some time to get more work done today. Before I begin with my progress I thought I'd show off the cool print I got for my work area.

DSC00196_zpsoeiyon72.jpg

Today I started working on the lower leg sections.

Here is the before photo

DSC00187_zpsqwkwzm1a.jpg

The first thing to do was to measure the sides and trim the excess plastic. By this point in the build I'm starting to get the hang of it so it doesn't take as long any more.

DSC00188_zps205yiykh.jpg

DSC00194_zpsxqk27ylr.jpg

DSC00189_zpstpzjg4uo.jpg

Once I got everything trimmed it was time to sand down and smooth out the return edges.

DSC00193_zpsleegt3vs.jpg

Notice the Darth Vader band aid on the finger? This is what happens when your finger gets too close to a belt sander. I recommend you don't do that.

Next up is to cut and glue the back strips into place. They are now drying overnight.

DSC00195_zpsdhtrv5hr.jpg

• Like 1

Looking good;  must be nice to have a workroom!  I had to spread everything out on my dining room table for a couple of months! 

It's a small space but at least it's something :)

Okay guys and gals, I have another question for you...

The abdomen piece on my ATA kit is warped pretty badly. Is this normal and how do I fix it?

Below are a few photos that hopefully show what I'm talking about.

DSC00201_zpsnu9u59lq.jpg

DSC00202_zpsz0txljep.jpg

DSC00203_zps6ahftdup.jpg

DSC00204_zpse8lgteic.jpg

I've made some more progress. I've finished the calves (minus the velcro) and I'm now working on the knee plate.

DSC00191_zps3mzihuyq.jpg

DSC00190_zpsftc9p3ke.jpg

DSC00215_zpsy6nwd1vj.jpg

DSC00216_zpsvgfytmhs.jpg

DSC00217_zpsjtuol04p.jpg

DSC00218_zpswyc5xp9d.jpg

This build seems to be going on forever. I knew i'd be slow gut didn't realize it would take me this long.

• Like 2

I have a few more questions:

1. Is there a guide to the dimensions and placement of the thermal detonator? Am I supposed you use a grey PVC pipe or a white pipe that is painted? Whet length is it?

2. What type of snaps do I use to attache the bottom of the chest piece to the butt plate? Where do I find them?

Thanks

I have a few more questions:

1. Is there a guide to the dimensions and placement of the thermal detonator? Am I supposed you use a grey PVC pipe or a white pipe that is painted? Whet length is it?

2. What type of snaps do I use to attache the bottom of the chest piece to the butt plate? Where do I find them?

Thanks

Well I'm assuming your TD came with your kit, the tube should dimensions should be correct as it. It should be painted the same color grey as the helmet traps, ab buttons or close. 

From the CRL:

Thermal Detonator

For 501st approval:

• (A.K.A. O2 canister) attaches to the center back of the belt.
  • Detonator consists of an all grey cylinder, without silver stickers or silver paint.
    • The cylinder is between 2†(50mm) and 2.68"(68mm) in diameter with white end caps on each end.
  • The white control panel pad faces upwards, with the controls/round washer style detail closest to the right end cap.
  • The total length is approximately 7.50" (190.5mm).
  • The thermal detonator is attached via metal or metallic-appearing clips, approximately 1" (25mm) wide.

For level two certification (if applicable):

• Thermal detonator belt clips are positioned with little to no gap between the clips and the end caps.
  •  

As for the snaps - Tandy or Fasnap

Tandy - https://www.tandyleather.com/en-usd/home/snaps.aspx?pg=all

Fasnap (my choice) - http://fasteners.fasnap.com/category/snap-fasteners---screw-studs

Edited by ukswrath

Well I'm assuming your TD came with your kit, the tube should dimensions should be correct as it. It should be painted the same color grey as the helmet traps, ab buttons or close. 

From the CRL:

Thermal Detonator

For 501st approval:

• (A.K.A. O2 canister) attaches to the center back of the belt.
  • Detonator consists of an all grey cylinder, without silver stickers or silver paint.
    • The cylinder is between 2†(50mm) and 2.68"(68mm) in diameter with white end caps on each end.
  • The white control panel pad faces upwards, with the controls/round washer style detail closest to the right end cap.
  • The total length is approximately 7.50" (190.5mm).
  • The thermal detonator is attached via metal or metallic-appearing clips, approximately 1" (25mm) wide.

For level two certification (if applicable):

• Thermal detonator belt clips are positioned with little to no gap between the clips and the end caps.
  •  

As for the snaps - Tandy or Fasnap

Tandy - https://www.tandyleather.com/en-usd/home/snaps.aspx?pg=all

Fasnap (my choice) - http://fasteners.fasnap.com/category/snap-fasteners---screw-studs

Thanks Tony...Like an idiot I looked everywhere but the official CRL. Do you know what size snaps are used for the bottom of the chest plate and butt plate?

Thanks Tony...Like an idiot I looked everywhere but the official CRL. Do you know what size snaps are used for the bottom of the chest plate and butt plate?

Line 24 nickel is the most common