Zarlon's First ANH Build Thread (ATA)

Well I have been painting this week so it's time for another update.

I started out masking all areas of the helmet that I thought would be difficult to paint free hand. Once I got everything taped up I coated the taped area with a base coat of white paint to help prevent bleed through.

DSC00006_zps0r0av0fz.jpg

DSC00007_zpsjjmg0p0q.jpg

DSC00008_zps3tjbbl0q.jpg

DSC00009_zpsfj6mtmb8.jpg

After the coat of white paint had dried, it was time to add the gray. I ended up using the Testors paints instead of the Humbrol. I had originally bought the Humbrol but after a quick coat of gray on the tear area I realized it was too thin for my liking. 

DSC00021_zpsprfln9dz.jpg

DSC00022_zpscxlwqrqn.jpg

DSC00024_zpsqubxo94c.jpg

Tonight it was time to try and and work on the black outlines and stripes. Since I don't have a very steady hand I let my daughter have a go at it. Some of the lines a re a bit thick but nothing a little touch up won't fix. I'm glad she did most of it for me because now all always think of her when I wear the helmet :)

DSC00029_zps78rhwzph.jpg

DSC00030_zps9egu4pll.jpg

• Like 1

try to touch those lines up; they are a bit too thick. Using the gray try to thin out the black some...

good luck; i know u need somewhat steady hands, but we have faith. you can do it.

try to touch those lines up; they are a bit too thick. Using the gray try to thin out the black some...

good luck; i know u need somewhat steady hands, but we have faith. you can do it.

I agree and actually already worked on them this morning. I'll post updated pics when I get a chance.

• Like 1

I tried to thin out the black outlines yesterday. It looks better but still not very straight. I don't have a steady hand at all. For now though, I'm going to continue on with the rest of the painting and come back to it later once I get everything else done.

DSC00040_zpsybykhwpy.jpg

DSC00041_zps4e1xgmeu.jpg

DSC00042_zpskdzbfwot.jpg

DSC00044_zpszgzdxjin.jpg

After painting working on the black outlines, I decided to give the tube stripes some attention. You'll notice that I had to take the ears off to get the template to lay down properly.

DSC00036_zpscwywdf6e.jpg

DSC00037_zpsaaighbub.jpg

DSC00038_zpsbrevzwfz.jpg

After waiting for the paint to dry it was finally time to remove the stencil and see how the tube stripes came out. The left side was great but the right side was a mess. I tried to use a little bit of paint thinner to clean it up but in the end I decided to start over.

For the second try I used very light strokes with the brush to try and avoid as much bleeding as possible. I ended up giving three coats of paint during the evening and in the end, I'm happy with the way both sides turned out.

DSC00045_zps6krnib4c.jpg

DSC00046_zpsl7ynhsis.jpg

DSC00047_zpsq04ikz6c.jpg

Edited by Zarlon

Well the bucket build is coming to an end. All that was left to do was install the mic tips, mouth screen, and the lens. The mic tips were not as easy as i thought. They're installed but soem time down the road I'm going to try to shim them up some for strength.

DSC00051_zpsg68ejgd8.jpg

The lenses were a pretty easy job. I did end up drilling two holes on the left side but you cant tell from the outside of the helmet.I cut a notch to allow clearance from the side rivet and also cut away a section for the nose.

DSC00049_zpswebnyz6g.jpg

After that, the only thing left was to install the teeth screen. For this, I used screen repair tape that I found at Menards.

DSC00052_zpsabbz9oms.jpg

DSC00053_zpsvgmyoqps.jpg

DSC00059_zpsy6wfctlm.jpg

Once the screen was installed I added the bottom S-Curve seal and the bucket was finished.

DSC00060_zpsq9djizmr.jpg

DSC00061_zpsaxtzpys7.jpg

It is finished!

Like everyone else has mentioned, I'll can still see a lot of areas I can tweak, but for now I'm calling it a day and I'm going to begin building the rest of my armor...Stay tuned.

DSC00055_zpslbkva8dg.jpg

DSC00056_zpsyepj6a7w.jpg

DSC00058_zpswzmhb74l.jpg

• Like 1

Question: Is there anything else I will need to do to the bucket to make it acceptable for EIB or Centurion? Did I miss anything? 

Any comments would be appreciated.

Question: Is there anything else I will need to do to the bucket to make it acceptable for EIB or Centurion? Did I miss anything? 

Any comments would be appreciated.

Nope .. your helmet is looking very good !!

The only thing i can see them saying something about ( although it wont stop your helmet from being EIB / CENTURION ) is the thickness of the right ear disk.

But Great Job !!

Edited by R4ZORBL4DE

Nope .. your helmet is looking very good !!

The only thing i can see them saying something about ( although it wont stop your helmet from being EIB / CENTURION ) is the thickness of the right ear disk.

But Great Job !!

Thanks! There are still a couple things I want to tweek once I get the armor approved and the ears are definitely one of them.

Dude that helmet is ROCKIN!! Great job brother!

Thanks Andrew! I have it sitting on top of the shelf on my desk and I keep staring at it. I still can't believe I now own a Stormtrooper Helmet.

• Like 3

I'm going to start on the biceps and forearms tonight and I have a couple of questions:

1. I believe there is a certain width for the inner and our cover strips but I can't seem to find that info on the build threads I've been reading. Can someone help point me in the right direction?
  2. I know that the requirement for Centurion states "No return edge on the inside of the front of the forearm is allowed." but what about the other edges of the biceps and forearms. Should I remove all of the return edges?

Any advice would be appreciated. 

I'm going to start on the biceps and forearms tonight and I have a couple of questions:

1. I believe there is a certain width for the inner and our cover strips but I can't seem to find that info on the build threads I've been reading. Can someone help point me in the right direction?

Any advice would be appreciated. 

7/8" Strip for the arms