Zarlon's First ANH Build Thread (ATA)

Hello all and thanks for coming along with me on this journey of fun, frivolity, and i'm sure a bit of frustration. I got an email saying that my ATA armor should be ready sometime this week so I thought I would start this build thread.

I had a ton of fun with my blaster build ((Part I)

Chapter Thirty Eight...Approval Submission Photos (Part II)

Chapter Thirty Nine...Approval Submission Photos (Part III)

Chapter Forty...Approval Submission Photos (Part IV)

Chapter Forty One...Approval Submission Photos (Part V)

Chapter Forty Two...Approval Submission Photos (Part VI)

Chapter Forty Three...Approval Submission Photos (Part VI)

Chapter Forty Four...Finished!! (Introducing TK-26113)

Edited by Zarlon
  • Like 1

As mentioned, I'm going to start this thread with my helmet build so here are the very first pictures of my very first TK bucket straight out of the box:)

DSC01112_zpsb9ed36f2.jpg

DSC01114_zpsfac79cd6.jpg

DSC01113_zps5475779f.jpg

When I first took the individual pieces out of the box, I was immediately surprised at how thick they were. For some reason I thought the plastic would be thinner and a bit more flexible. The ear pieces are specially hard and a test cut confirmed that I'm going to have my work cut out for me. 

Looking at this first picture reminds me if my first question.

1. Is it safe to assume the Mic Tips need to be replaced if I'm going for EIB?

I noticed the EIB CRL mentions "Correct 'Hovi mic' aerator tips". It doesn't say what these are but I have to assume that the tips that come with the helmet are not up to snuff. Are the versions sold on Trooperbay okay for EIB status?

I think you are good to go with these mic tips, they just need to be painted appropriately.

If you are chasing some more accurate, ready to instal mic tips, I can highly recommend CFO. Just send a PM to Sskunky, here on the boards.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

These mic tips are fine. The ONLY problem and its not really a problem is the letters are blobbed on the sides. Crystal clear or blobbed, once installed they are not seen.

Can't wait to see your progress Kyle! Sadly, we won't be building together this time ;) . Just take your time, ask questions, research, measure THRICE cut once, oh and HAVE FUN! Just remember, most mistakes ARE fixable.

Oh and don't let that big brown scary box scare you ;)

Can't wait to see your progress Kyle! Sadly, we won't be building together this time ;) . Just take your time, ask questions, research, measure THRICE cut once, oh and HAVE FUN! Just remember, most mistakes ARE fixable.

Oh and don't let that big brown scary box scare you ;)

Thanks Andrew and congrats on becoming an official member!

• Like 1

Thanks to you as well! If you ever have a question, feel free to PM me!

Its a super exciting time! Best to get comfortable running around in the undersuit now! Lol

So after I took everything out of the box and drooled over it for a bit, it was time to get to work. First up on my agenda was to paint the inside of the bucket black. I wanted to do it before I started cutting everything because I thought it would be more difficult when it was all together. 

DSC01953_zpsn5wxmg5v.jpg

In order to try and avoid a lot of over spray, I taped everything off the best that I could. It was actually kind of a pain in the butt to get the tape to stick to the surface of the helmet.

DSC01954_zpsedcvvz7c.jpg

I wanted to keep the ATA and build number visible so I taped over that part before I painted.

DSC01960_zpsa0qavtnn.jpg

Once everything was taped up, it was time to put some paint on it. I used the same spray paint that I used on my blaster for the inside of the helmet as well.

DSC01956_zps3ktca3dm.jpg

It took a few coats to get the paint to stick but eventually I got it all covered.

DSC01957_zpsnc7sfaun.jpg

DSC01962_zpsdriwefvv.jpg

Watch out for the trimming the face and back where the extra plastic is (wrinkled area).  The right side of the face and back under the ear area (right if you are wearing it) needs plenty of extra plastic to meet up right when you try to attach the face to the back.  Trim only a little and later see if you can get away with more trimming after fitting the two halves together for a trial fit.  

IMG_2767_zps8b9747da.jpg

Have fun!

Edited by russellr2d2

Watch out for the trimming the face and back where the extra plastic is (wrinkled area).  The right side of the face and back under the ear area (right if you are wearing it) needs plenty of extra plastic to meet up right when you try to attach the face to the back.  Trim only a little and later see if you can get away with more trimming after fitting the two halves together for a trial fit.  

Have fun!

I've noticed that could be an issue and will pay attention to it. Thanks for the tip!

OK Time for another update. 

After the inside of the helmet was painted, it was time to start marking off my trim cut lines.

DSC01991_zpsta8hp2yr.jpg

I used a grease marker so I could remove any marks that I made by mistake.

DSC01992_zps8zc4zllj.jpg

The ATA Helmet actually had a nicely defined cut line. I ended up cutting a little below it to give myself some wiggle room but the overall lines were pretty easy to see.

DSC01994_zpsjuahhqtd.jpg

DSC01996_zpsbklvunvn.jpg

I drilled a hole in the top corners to keep them from splitting as I cut the flashing off.

DSC01997_zpsl5cdjfh0.jpg

Once I had the lines where I wanted them, It was time to start cutting.

DSC01993_zpslvuzbsbe.jpg

Watch out for the right side that you don't cut off too much. The ATA has little wiggle room to attach the face and back. Looks good so far take your time and have fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Holy crap that's intimidating! I've read a ton of build threads but it was still really overwhelming when I opened that box. Somebody please talk me down off of this ledge :)

DSC02746_zpshiubomdl.jpg

• Like 1

It may look intimidating as a whole. If you view it piece by piece, it's not so bad. You'll do fine, Trooper. There's a ton of support here. Good luck!

It may look intimidating as a whole. If you view it piece by piece, it's not so bad. You'll do fine, Trooper. There's a ton of support here. Good luck!

Thank you! I'll get there. It just might take a while and I'll be asking a lot of questions.

Yup, its intimidating .. but, continue with the Helmet and when you are done with that you will have a good feel for how things go together.

After that, work on the Biceps. They are pretty easy to assemble. Then you will start to gain your confidence and your motivation level will rise as well when you start to see it come together.

I can not tell you how many days I psyched myself up all day planning on what I was going to do when I got home and when I got home and went to the basement to work on my stuff.. i would stand there and scratch my head ..LOL

Just take it slow... DON'T RUSH IT .. and use E6000 ...

• Like 2

OK...Now that all of the excitement is over it's back to the updates.

Once I got the flash trimmed off it was time to work on the eyes. This wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be but I did have slight difficulties getting them even. In the end I think it came out OK.

DSC01998_zpshctq1hwc.jpg

After sanding down the eyes it was time to tackle the teeth. This was a pain in the butt because no matter what I try, I can't get them smooth. Here is where I am with them so far. I've filed, sanded, and polished with the Dremmel and I still can't get them smooth. It's been a bit frustrating.

DSC02750_zpsyrgdmopu.jpg

The Dremmel is good at removing bulk material but not for fine work.  Use a finer file to smooth out the edges. I used emory boards/nail files on mine.  Take your time. It is frustrating but you will need to be patient. There's a lot of detail work on the helmet that you don't want to rush through. 

You're doing great so far!

The Dremmel is good at removing bulk material but not for fine work.  Use a finer file to smooth out the edges. I used emory boards/nail files on mine.  Take your time. It is frustrating but you will need to be patient. There's a lot of detail work on the helmet that you don't want to rush through. 

You're doing great so far!

Thanks! I've been using the Dremmel mostly for cutting and rough grinding. I've been using the file for the detailed work but I like your emery board idea. I'm going to pick some up on the way home today.

Great job so far. I am exactly on the same process as you right now. Working on my ATA bucket.

As far as smoothing out edges, files will work great. But to get the best detail, i am using my X-acto knife. working out nice so far... just don't rush it. Little by little. Then finish of with some sanding/filing.

• Like 1

So I worked on my ears over the weekend but I'm too frustrated to post any pics right now. I got the right side marginally acceptable but the left side was a pain in the the butt and I've totally screwed it up. On top of that, the bottom rivet holding the front and back together is too low so I can't get a good spot to screw down the bottom of the left ear. I'm going to try again tomorrow with my second set of ears so wish me luck.