HOW TO: Join the 501st Legion as an Imperial Stormtrooper (TK)

Would 501st ever approve a TK in person? I am finishing up my TK armor now, and always see your booths at comic con or Star Wars celebration. Would be awesome if you could approve some TK’s in person or even set up a photo booth for picture submissions while at conventions?  

17 minutes ago, Jon E. said:

Would 501st ever approve a TK in person? I am finishing up my TK armor now, and always see your booths at comic con or Star Wars celebration. Would be awesome if you could approve some TK’s in person or even set up a photo booth for picture submissions while at conventions?  

I don’t think they would make approvals in person, but even if they did, I’d think submitting photos on the pre-approval thread would be the better way to go; it would give you the chance to get feedback and make any adjustments that might be necessary.

Actually it varies by garrison.  I make in person approvals when needed.  Why not?  They are better than photos.

10 minutes ago, Twosolitudes said:

I don’t think they would make approvals in person, but even if they did, I’d think submitting photos on the pre-approval thread would be the better way to go; it would give you the chance to get feedback and make any adjustments that might be necessary.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jon E. said:

At Celebration in Orlando Tony Jobe (Ukswrath) and I did two in person approvals for the higher levels of Expert infantry and Centurion.

The Centurion was to our Detachment leader Paul :)

As he mentioned better than photos but the Pre approval thread was designed specifically for the purpose helping get things right for your 501st approval first go.

Totally. I am finishing touches on my TK so I can troop at comic con. Was hoping to get some photos done and submitted before then, but know that’s not gonna happen in two weeks. Wanted to ask, as it would have been awesome to be “knighted” a 501st before or at SDCC. But I’ll just have to wait till after:) hope to meet some of you at SDCC! 

• Like 1

On 7/9/2018 at 8:15 AM, Jon E. said:

Totally. I am finishing touches on my TK so I can troop at comic con. Was hoping to get some photos done and submitted before then, but know that’s not gonna happen in two weeks. Wanted to ask, as it would have been awesome to be “knighted” a 501st before or at SDCC. But I’ll just have to wait till after:) hope to meet some of you at SDCC! 

I submitted my pictures two weeks before celebration Anaheim. By the time I got there, I was approved!
So if you hurry up, it might even be possible ;)

• 8 months later...
22 minutes ago, TkRodrigues said:

Question do i have to start a build thread in order to be approved?

No you don't  it's just a good way of getting feedback on your build, it's a bit like the pre approval forum, some post images in there so they can get bugs ironed out before submitting for approval. FYI you receive approval through your local GML (garrison membership liaison) so stay in contact with them ;) 

So what are the rules concerning volunteering while waiting on your kit/approval? I’ve been told it’s a great way to meet garrison members but don’t know the actual rules around it? 

Edited by Helmshandcrafted
Turn on response notifications

4 minutes ago, Helmshandcrafted said:

So what are the rules concerning volunteering while waiting on your kit/approval? I’ve been told it’s a great way to meet garrison members but don’t know the actual rules around it? 

Hey Derek, 

If you haven't done so already, I recommend signing up on your garrison boards. You can ask this question on their boards. Our Garrison in PA allows cadets/new members to come and "squire or be a handler" at our events. :)

https://www.carolinagarrison.net/

11 minutes ago, Pretzel said:

Hey Derek, 

If you haven't done so already, I recommend signing up on your garrison boards. You can ask this question on their boards. Our Garrison in PA allows cadets/new members to come and "squire or be a handler" at our events. :)

https://www.carolinagarrison.net/

Yes I am already registered for Carolina garrison. (Gastonia NC here) But didn’t get a straight forward answer from the event coordinator. I have also posted in the garrison forums and have not received any replies. 

Edited by Helmshandcrafted
Adding more content

4 minutes ago, Helmshandcrafted said:

Yes I am already registered for Carolina garrison. (Gastonia NC here) But didn’t get a straight forward answer from the event coordinator. I have also posted in the garrison forums and have not received any replies. 

Interesting. @CrookKnight is the local Attache for the Carolina Garrison. I recommend sending him a PM. He should be able to answer your question. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 5/2/2019 at 7:31 AM, Stitch626 said:

For us newbie's this post is FANTASTIC.. Thank you for posting... I look forward to joining the 501 soon.....

Welcome to WhiteArmor!  Ask all the questions and dig through the forums- there's a huge wealth of information here, for newbies and veterans alike.

On 5/2/2019 at 10:31 PM, Stitch626 said:

For us newbie's this post is FANTASTIC.. Thank you for posting... I look forward to joining the 501 soon.....

Good luck and hope to see a build thread from you soon.

I have a stupid Question..

Do I have to be a member of a Garrsion?

I travel alot..

I live in japan but travel to UK, AUS, Singapore and Hong Kong 

Hello Dan,

Depends, if you primary based (spend most of your time) and live in Japan, I say you give The Japanese Garrison a shout and join as one of them.

I am not sure about the UK and the AUS (because of the geographical reasons), but if you happened to drop by in Hong Kong for a while you are welcome to join us at events, and I think the same goes to the mates at Singapore too, they are a bunch of crazy welcoming people.

5 hours ago, p4ntb0y said:

I travel alot..

There are no stupid questions here on the FISD, Dan, and that is actually a great one!  I'm not sure what area your home base/local Garrison is, but that is the one you will use to submit your armor for basic 501st approval.  Once you are ready to submit, contact their GML (Garrison Membership Liaison) and he/she will explain the procedure.

After you are approved, you will be welcome to troop with any Garrison, Squad or Outpost you like.  When I was in the Florida Garrison, we had visiting troopers from all over FL (including Canada, Australia etc.) at events.

Note that you may need to sign up at the Garrisons that you want to troop with, as many do not list their upcoming events for the public to see.  You will also need to sign up for any troop that you want to be included in.

Here is a thread that may help:  https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/39382-your-first-troop-a-few-tips/

On 5/13/2019 at 2:13 PM, p4ntb0y said:

I travel alot..

Hi Dan. Good question. As Joseph said, it depends on where you will do your trooping the most. The good thing is you are not locked into a garrison forever and you can apply for transfers. There is one member in japan who resides in Japan but is registered in another country garrison. There is some flexibility as long as you provide a reason I would assume if you transfer. I wanted to join the Empire State Garrison when I join seeing I am originally from NY but since live in Japan, I will troop mostly here and could not justify signing up to a garrison that I am not living near or will spend any time with unless its once a year on vacation.

Oh, BTW.... I am happy if you join the JG!!!!:duim:

Edited by Bulldog44
  • Like 1

In my former garrison we had a member who had issues in their country and asked our CO to host them under our garrison, although that member never trooped with us they did troop elsewhere, mainly celebration.

You may very well need to sign up to other garrisons depending on where you will be trooping, some don't share troop info in non member areas of their forums and being a member may be the only way of finding troop info.

You will still need to have affiliation to at least one squad, garrison or outpost as they will oversee your troop attendance for the census. Census is held once a year in October, here is some more info https://www.501st.com/members/Census-FAQ.pdf

• Like 1

I travel alot..

Hi Dan

I’m a member of Knightfall Garrison, in Melbourne, Australia.

We have several interstate and international members who regularly troop with us. If you travel to Melbourne with your kit, look up our site, join the forum and say hey.

Sent from my DH77 using Tapatalk