HOW TO: Join the 501st Legion as an Imperial Stormtrooper (TK)

• 2 months later...

As "working guidelines" for attaches, this is clearly helpful. But calling it a how to and posting it here to me seemed both very "narrow minded" and a bit pointless, as in "preaching to the choir". I guess I'm splitting hairs here, but the title just reads so absolute.

I didn't read it that way.  Actually, I'm abashed I never wrote this myself, as I would have written up pretty much the same thing, and this is pretty much what I sent to new applicants in my garrison, though I just admin that Tim does a better job of it.  Kudos to Tim for taking this on and posting this. :salute:

For those that have really active and helpful garrison boards - good on you!  However the rest  - e.g. most - of the Legion doesn't operate that way.  If it did, I'd have never needed to create FISD in the first place.

Actually before I started FISD I went on a lot of garrison's websites to look at what they offered people for TK builds.  The information was not always up to date, was missing a lot of key pieces, and in some few cases was flat out wrong.

I'm not advocating - and I'm sure Tim isn't either - that people don't engage their garrisons and use only FISD, or that this HOWTO is the only way to do it.  We are not that silly. :)   So, relax all.  :peace:

• Like 1

Essay? I don't know where you are getting your information from, but it's certainly not correct.

All you need is to be 18+ years of age and have a costume that meets the requirements.

I think he's pulling your leg :)

I heard recently that you cannot register a TK with the 501st without first having become a member with a different costume. For example, one would have to become a member as an Imperial Officer or a Mandalorian or other, and THEN would be allowed to register a TK with the 501st. Is this an old rule? If it is, is it still in effect?

Hahahahaha that's a good one.  Tell that person who told you this that they owe you at least a round of drinks :)

• Like 1

I didn't read it that way. Actually, I'm abashed I never wrote this myself, as I would have written up pretty much the same thing, and this is pretty much what I sent to new applicants in my garrison, though I just admin that Tim does a better job of it. Kudos to Tim for taking this on and posting this. :salute:

For those that have really active and helpful garrison boards - good on you! However the rest - e.g. most - of the Legion doesn't operate that way. If it did, I'd have never needed to create FISD in the first place.

Actually before I started FISD I went on a lot of garrison's websites to look at what they offered people for TK builds. The information was not always up to date, was missing a lot of key pieces, and in some few cases was flat out wrong.

I'm not advocating - and I'm sure Tim isn't either - that people don't engage their garrisons and use only FISD, or that this HOWTO is the only way to do it. We are not that silly. :) So, relax all. :peace:

I can say, by my own experience, that FISD was of great help to my TK and E-11 blaster building process. I did engage my garrison whenever I didn't understand a process or how l do proper procedures since all armors are not the same. So I would say that half the battle is won reading FISD threads and researching through the vast photo documentation that can be found here!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

In Italy is different.

Once you have the armor (or at least a kit under construction) you can be enlisted as recruit.

In order to obtain the TK# you must join a serie of events as a recruit (at least one "official" event) and participate to the discussions of the forum (if you "disappear" for any reason for more than 4 months, you must restart the process). Then the local garrison will decide on an autonomous basis if you are eligible for 501th ID (of course also on the basis of the quality of the armor :) )

Edited by helluin75

In Italy is different.

Once you have the armor (or at least a kit under construction) you can be enlisted as recruit.

In order to obtain the TK# you must join a serie of events as a recruit (at least one "official" event) and participate to the discussions of the forum (if you "disappear" for any reason for more than 4 months, you must restart the process). Then the local garrison will decide on an autonomous basis if you are eligible for 501th ID (of course also on the basis of the quality of the armor :) )

Then you're not doing it the way you're supposed to. Membership is not "voted" on. And that applies to all garrisons world wide.

I don't do anything wrong, since I'm not even a recruit (I did not receive my kit yet). Moreover, probably due to my language skills (very limited), I did not explain it well: there is no vote, it is the local Squad Leader that decide after the "trial" period (as per the "recruiting rules" posted on the website).

Sorry for the misunderstanding, Mathias.

I don't do anything wrong, since I'm not even a recruit (I did not receive my kit yet). Moreover, probably due to my language skills (very limited), I did not explain it well: there is no vote, it is the local Squad Leader that decide after the "trial" period (as per the "recruiting rules" posted on the website).

Sorry for the misunderstanding, Mathias.

I didn't mean you as a person, I mean "you" as in the Italian Garrison. And it's not up the to squad leader to decide who can join. Either the costume is good enough or it isn't and that's for the GML to decide. No "trial period" is required or asked for. There shouldn't be any trial at all.

I think its getting lost in translation. In our garrison if you want to, you can become a cadet. You have limited access to the forum, and must post in your build thread once a month. You also must be a squire or helper for one function a year. With that you get assigned an advisor that will guide you through your build.

You are not required to do any of that and build on your own.

Once done the GML will decide if you meet the minimum requirements to join.

I heard the JRS have a similar process that they have patterned off of Carida.

sent from the Death Star's Night Club pay phone

For another perspective how our garrison works.  In theory you could build your costume on your own, submit pix to the GML and get approved, and then troop.  There is no requirement to ever meet anyone in person before being accepted by the Legion until your first troop.  

I can't recall the last time someone posted a build thread on the open boards.  People just post them to the detachment in question...

Do we apply for access to the 501st forums here? Or do we ask for that access on our local garrison boards? On my Southern California Garrison forum people are asking for access to the 501st site forums and getting it. Please clarify.

Do we apply for access to the 501st forums here? Or do we ask for that access on our local garrison boards? On my Southern California Garrison forum people are asking for access to the 501st site forums and getting it. Please clarify.

Each forum is different. The Garrison and Detachment forums have private areas that are for 501st members only. Until your acct is flagged by an admin, those areas won't show up. That is why those threads are in the public areas, it alerts the admins to verify membership and update that user id for that specific website.

Each garrison and detachment is updated seperately.

I have to ad... Love my garrison, and the peeps in my squad. But not a lot of info is exchanged or posted on their forums. Belong to a couple other detachments too while I was exploring costume options. The FISD is the best forum in the 501 in my humble opinion. Unbelievable amount of shared information and helpful people. The only problem is that there might be too much information, makes it a tad bit difficult to search with the glitch we have. Aside from that, this forum rules. The people are awesome.

I like the idea of an essay! It could be "why I want to wear plastic in public".... :)

• Like 2

Each forum is different. The Garrison and Detachment forums have private areas that are for 501st members only. Until your acct is flagged by an admin, those areas won't show up. That is why those threads are in the public areas, it alerts the admins to verify membership and update that user id for that specific website.

Each garrison and detachment is updated seperately.

Forgive me, stumbling along here .

So when I am 501st approved I will have access to all the 501st forums automatically. I do not have to ask for it.

When I am 501st approved I ask for "501st" access within my local Garrison boards, a special local Garrison forum only available to members of the 501st?

And, I can ask for "501st" access within this board and get access to a 501st member only forum ?

Correct?

Thank you sirs!

Russell

When you get 501st approved, e.g. become and official member of the Legion, 2 things should happen right away:

1. You get access to the 501st forums (e.g. 501st.com/forum)

2. Your garrison should change your access so you see any 501st-only or garrison-only areas.

To get 501st/detachment level access on detachment boards, there is usually a thread where you post your new TK# or a link to your Legion profile, and your account on that detachment will get updated.  Most - not all - garrison and detachment forums have 3 levels of access:

Public (open to anyone)

501st only (open to 501st members only)

Group only (e.g. garrison members only, detachment members only)

Just wanted to throw this little tidbit out here:

When I posted this HOWTO on the 13th of March, 2015 there were 2,791 TKs in the Legion.

Today, the 7th of June, 2015 (less than three months later) there are 2,973 TKs in the Legion.

Almost three months have seen almost 200 new TKs approved.  I've said it numerous times, I'll say it again here:  2015 - Year of the TK!!!

Let's keep guiding them on that journey, FISD!!

• Like 2

Just wanted to throw this little tidbit out here:

When I posted this HOWTO on the 13th of March, 2015 there were 2,791 TKs in the Legion.

Today, the 7th of June, 2015 (less than three months later) there are 2,973 TKs in the Legion.

Almost three months have seen almost 200 new TKs approved.  I've said it numerous times, I'll say it again here:  2015 - Year of the TK!!!

Let's keep guiding them on that journey, FISD!!

Nice!  Now to get to 900 EI if we want to match - by percentage - the number of MEPD deployed troopers there are.  We are only at 462 - not even close.  We really need to get the EI numbers up.

• Like 1