Nilt's AM 2.0 ESB build

Well, this is it! After seeing so many ladies being featured on the 501st facebook page yesterday, I decided I'd get up off my butt and start a thread. Do I talk a bit about me here, too? Hi, I'm Caitlin!

After a ridiculous amount of research, I went with an AM 2.0 kit. My biggest fear was finding a set that could fit my softball-playing calves and thighs and someone, somewhere, measured the circumferences for a few kits and that sold me. There will need to be some trimming on the other pieces, I am only 5'5", but I definitely didn't want to deal with calves that were a couple of inches too small!

So when I got a reply in less than an hour telling me that there were some AM kits leftover from this last run and it could ship ASAP, I sobbed uncontrollably, I was so excited.

Here are my official first pictures:

5215e6c6-fe09-428d-b73e-d7b9cb316901_zps

Am I supposed to cut it out with a spoon?

tumblr_lzrk0hzAw01qmzxmu.gif

ANYWAY. It then exploded in a space too small for it to lay nicely:

20150223_153236_zpsyooajo47.jpg

20150223_143456_zps44xj5rkf.jpg

I'll be working on my questions shortly.

In other news, I resized all my photobucket pictures to be small, but they still show up here different sizes. Blegh, internet.

Hey Caitlin :)

I'm another 5ft5" trooper. Ice just finished an RS build which wasn't too difficult, I did have to make a few strapping adjustments though and it seems us girls have bigger thighs than these male troopers ;)

You'll find my WIP thread in this section if you want to refer to another short girl build! Good luck

Jane x

Hi Caitlin. I am also doing an AM 2.0 build. Take your time, ask questions and read the build threads. Everything you need is here. There is soooooooo much in the brown box. I looked at mine for about a week and finally unpacked it. The first cut is the hardest. After that, the nervousness goes away. Remember your build is suppose to be fun so when you get stuck, reach out and ask and you'll get through it. Looking forward to seeing your build

• 6 months later...

Nilt,

can you post some pics of close up on the new chest and back. i am looking to get this kit too, but would like to see the new look on those. also please say how you feel about the way it looks so i have another opion.

thank you for your time and effort in this matter.

matt

• 2 weeks later...

Alright, so I'm back and I'm finally working. It's not so scary now that I've convinced myself that this is my first build. It's my beater car. Make it, learn from it, love it, then someday make a GT 500.

Now, I'm going to attempt to post some pictures using tapatalk and my photobucket app, so if it all comes out weird, I'll fix it on the PC tomorrow.

QUESTIONS:

Can I get some help identifying stuff?

064fe47c-aeef-495a-9e44-89880657afe2_zps

eb6ed310-a54a-41b3-b0fd-4bca7942118d_zps

And is this gap just an inevitable thing I need to get used to? I'm not sure how I could make it much better. Where will the outside strips start /stop? Right where the return edges start sloping?

20151012_210933_zps2zuih60o.jpg

Pardon my messy glue :-)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Hi and welcome to the AM 2.0 club :)

The gap in the return edge on the join of the two halves of your bicep is easily fixed with ABS paste (little scraps of ABS dissolved in acetone until you get a sticky paste, dries just like ABS), have a look at my build at my forearm ABS pasting, it's easy :)

You may need to apply a thin piece of spare ABS to the back to give the paste support though, but since it's in an area that is not going to be seen, then it will look fine.

Number 4 on your list are supports for the helmet head band that comes with your kit, if your going to use padding to fit the helmet, then they will not be needed.

• 2 weeks later...

Holy crap, Artshot, your touch ups with the ABS paste is stunning! I'm glad I decided to collect all my trimmings in a bucket. I'll have gallons of paste.

Alrighty. Here's what I did today:

Boiled my biceps to get them more rounded. I keep feeling like they are still too loose. I put them on and they seem snug, but when I rest my arms at my sides, they stick out a lot at the top. I mean, that will be covered by my shoulder bells, but it still seems excessive. I've only put the inner strips on them, so it won't be hard to mess with them.

Trimmed my forearms a lot more and started on the first inner strips.

Trimmed the hell out of my hand plates.

Drilled holes in my bucket and did a test fit. The left ear can go die in a fire.

Filed my teeth and painted them, the vocoder, and the ear outline/pinstripe thing.

FROWN QUESTION: When tapering the paint, do we paint the dimple or skip it? I've been looking at the reference photos and they seem all over the place.

20151023_002531_zpstlmvfv2d.jpg

Ugh, I had just figured out how to post to tapatalk from my photobucket app, and now I'm confused again.

So, which belt do I use? I'm assuming the one with dimples so I can put the rivets in and then hide them?

Am I right in assuming that my calf and thigh are too close together and I should trim a bit? I can't tell if they are touching, but I feel like the sniper plate would not fit too well in that area.

20151028_231141_zpsqwenxrbb.jpg

20151028_231121_zpspowgt9mf.jpg

Also, I put velcro in my calves. They attach great, but with the velcro, it makes a centimeter gap/height difference. Is this normal?

20151028_231628_zpsc7ye1j0x.jpg

Lucky Caitlin won our raffle today (100% proceeds going to the ALS Association) for a fully built WTF Gino bucket that was assembled by Walt himself at Rhode Island Comicon.

Congrats and we can't wait to troop with you.

Let the NEG know if you need any RI based help with your AM :)

-Eric

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk