ANH Stunt Thigh Notch

Ok, I know there's a topic on this here, but searching 'notch', 'thigh', and 'notches' tells me there are no results, and I've flipped through several forums and still can't find the dang thing.

Looking at the Lucasfilm archives in Photo References, I see the left thigh has a notch on the outside at the top, but it appears the right thigh is arcuate there.  Should those pieces be asymmetrical, or are there some troopers who had the notch, and some who did not, and these are just thighs from separate suits?

med_gallery_12157_15_41437.jpgmed_gallery_12157_15_1814.jpg

The notch was part of the original suit. It really served no purpose as in improving function or movement. Perhaps it was a mistake? Who knows. This detail was often hidden behind the drop box. Some suits had it more prominent and some less, but it was always there

Well, looking through screenshots, I can find a couple where it looks like the notch is present on the left thigh, but I've never seen it on the right.  It's hard to tell if it's present asymmetrically, but since there were only so many actual suits, my guess is that the notch was only on the left side.