Curiosity killed the mold....

So I've got a question for those with experience in mold making and vacuum forming.

I'm currently working on a helmet scratch build. From paper, to resin, to Bondo. And now I'm about 50% (IMO) done as I continue the arduous task of sanding and "fine" sculpting Bondo.

Here's my questions:

I've seen on YouTube an armorer (the naked trooper....) pull forms using plaster as the final mold after the initial sculpt of clay. Now I've read on different forums that plaster is easy to sculpt, sand and get smooth but the durability is low. Anyone have experience plugs out of plaster and their durability?

Secondly, if I do use plaster can resin or Rondo be coated over it for added strength?

Lastly, would it be better to sculpt bucks out of plaster, then do a cast of that plaster and then do a pour in mold of that fine detailed cast with a highly durable medium ( similar to what AA does with aluminum, fiberglass strands, etc...)?

As always any help is greatly appreciated.

So I've got a question for those with experience in mold making and vacuum forming.

Lastly, would it be better to sculpt bucks out of plaster, then do a cast of that plaster and then do a pour in mold of that fine detailed cast with a highly durable medium ( similar to what AA does with aluminum, fiberglass strands, etc...)?

This.  you can purchase forming tool resin  HERE

some interesting data HERE

Easily Create Molds for Vacuum Forming

The first step of the vacuum-forming process is to create your mold, also known as ‘tooling’. If you have an easy-to-use, professional grade vac-forming machine then this step is probably going to be the most in depth part of the process. It’s easy, and Formech successfully advises our customers on this initial step quite frequently.

There are several ways to create a tool for vacuum-forming, and which one you use will ultimately depend on what you are attempting to achieve, the resources you have to achieve it, and how long or how many runs you will need the tool to last. Here are a few suggestions on common mold types:

§  Cast | Plaster, Clay, or Resin: To the right we have an example of a plaster mold utilized by our customers at the American Museum of Natural History in New York.leafy2.jpg?w=191&h=300

You can actually form right over the plaster, as demonstrated with the mask below, courtesy of our friends at the London College of Fashion.

American Museum of Natural History Workshop

img_1025.jpg?w=300&h=225

Here we see course leader Caroline Gardiner using a plaster tool to make a foam mask with the Formech FM660.

news-3.jpg?w=300&h=225

This ‘Azote’ foam is handy for mask making applications and maintains excellent shape after cooling.

Edited by TK Bondservnt 2392

I have used plaster in one mold but it starts to crumble if you have to blow air in to release it plus the force pulling down when you vacuum will can crack it.

I also use bondo on most of mine but you have to keep patching them up as it doesnt like the heat on it to many times.

MDF is good as its porous and release's easy.

If you can get one good pull, then use that and pour hydrostone in it for a longer lasting mold.

My molds start as plaster...you can pull and fix sameday...when i am happy i will do a pull with styrene and a deep pull then I bust out the plaster and pour rondo in..after it cools i sand and drill my holes...done

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...