RS armor: ABS vs PVC

Ness

I have built several of both, and have trooped both ABS and PVC for years.

After those years, I can tell you they both behave quite similar in a standard trooping environment.

The PVC is a little more flexible, but breaks easier on impact. The ABS takes hits better, but will crack more if flexed. But in the end, if you don't do weird stunts (be it willingly or accidentally) you'll have the same areas cracking on both (cod piece, edges on the chest mainly).

The main question you'll have to answer is: Do you want something pure white and glossy? Go PVC.

Want something more screen accurate, shiny, but not as glossy, and slightly off white? Go ABS.

Edited by R2Dan
  • Like 1

Hello everyone !

I'm about to order my armor kit from RS Prop Masters but I first need to know which plastic to choose.

So, what are the pros and cons of both plastics ?

Also keep in mind that from wha tI have recently seen the RS PVC armors made as of mid 2014 are a thicker PVC. I don't know 100% this is always the case but the suit I had that was bought mid 2014 and words from several others is that the PVC armors have been pretty thick, which lowers the flexibility. But, it's heavier so feels more like armor.

I would ask them personally how thick the PVC is.

Dan's advice is perfect. Pure white = PVC, screen accurate = ABS. Don't get the wrong idea. ABS is shiny, and looks white. Go to the EIB/Centurion section and look at some photos of the RS submissions.

I have both kits at home, I can try and take a picture of the colour difference tomorrow. It's nighttime now, doubt I can take a picture that really shows the difference without daylight.

I bought an RS PVC kit in 2012 and it was very thin and flexible. Then when I ordered some spare parts last year to fix some mistakes I made, the newer PVC parts seemed a lot thicker and felt different. It did seem more brittle as well bit I didn't try to really break anything so I am not 100% sure on that. Just my feeling after flexing it a bit.

The white for the PVC is whiter than the RS ABS . They sent me an ABS replacement part by mistake and I could clearly notice the difference. ABS looking more of a off white,slightly less gloss.

You will be ordering one or the other so when it comes it will still look great and a nice white. If I had the cash again I would order an ABS kit to go the screen accurate used look. I went through the same hard decision too but just thought PVC would look a lot whiter which is what I wanted at first and thought the PvC was more flexible. I think the kit I received hit both of those marks but the recent PVC used by RS as Dday mentioned might be a thicker grade . Inquire with RS about that for sure.

Hopefully this info gives you a little more to make your decision on. But remember, both are solid choices and look great once they are built. If you are sure you want screen accurate armor& strapping get the ABS, but if you are on the side of looking like a slightly brighter TK , the PvCis the choice. Good luck!

if it is, it's minimal and down to variance of the pulls, not the material. What the picture doesn't show clearly, but might affect how sharp the pull looks: The PVC is a lot more glossy in real life, so light reflects differently.

Tried again. Took a random pic of a stack of cap'n'backs. The outer and innermost are PVC, the middle two ABS

W4VAxi3.jpg

I like that middle box in the background. That "Newe..." inscription is very tempting ;).

Now does that continue with a "y" or "st"? :D

It says "NEWEY/VINTAGE" and contains just that... old snaps, hooks, some vintage elastic. Crap noone wants ;)

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hello guys !

I've ordered my armor almost 4 weeks ago and I haven't received anything.

Is everything all right or should I send them an e-mail ?

You can email them if you are worried, just ask if they have any updates on your armor production. Keep in mind that 4 weeks really isn't that long when it comes to waiting for these kinds of things as 99% of the time these parts are made to order.

RS Props are more than trustworthy. They'll get your armor done and shipped to you, even if they exceed a bit the schedule. Don't worry too much.

It would also help to know if you have purchased the armor in kit form or fully assembled to estimate the waiting time.