Real (mostly) MG34

Jervis

So odd question, I've been given the opportunity to purchase a demil MG34 from someone i know for not too crazy a price.  It of course has a complete cool factor BUT could i use it for trooping at events, specifically at Cons or would it just be an awesome paper weight?

It is non-firing and most of parts that would make it functional are either welded in place or reconstructed so it doesn't or cannot be made to fire.

Go for it?  Sure it is much heavier, it looks real so may have issues with weapons check, I'll have to do some modifications to make is look more like a DLT and is pricey...thoughts?

photos or it did not happen.

how is it possible for us to advise you without accurate photographic evidence!

we're here to help!

my initial advice is to pay for the accuracy you want.

if this is a real decommissioned weapon then by all means we have the expertise to help you finish it

Edited by TK Bondservnt 2392

Unless you think it's fun to be harrassed by police I would not think it's a good idea to bring a massive, full-auto firearm to a crowded place, demilled or not.

From what I hear, a lot of US conventions are very restrictive of blasters, even plastic ones.

Some cons have weapons inspection areas. If you are not secretive and prove thus is in now way capable of firing, they will pass it and mark it with a fluorescent zip tie. You might be required to do something with the barrel end like an orange insert.

Kind of what I was thinking IRT weight and police/security scrutiny, goal is to enjoy trooping and not cause an uproar or be in pain at the end of the day (although it would be a good workout...lol).  Also if I were to modify I would want to be able to reverse whatever was done to return it to the original.  Looks like I'll go with the resin/plastic model.  Thanks for the answers!

As for photos, it's from a friend's collection who has done WWII reenacting and wants for trade for my Martini-Henry along with a few other things/cash to balance it out.  I've physically handled the MG and if you add in the drum it does get to be a challenge but if I cannot/should not use it trooping I would rather not push to get it from him (big paper weight that causes people to freakout)...and unless one of you have a 1871 M/H i don't see him trading/selling it, sorry.  Folks don't like when I bring out my M/H and with CA's gun laws never know who will comment.

Thanks for the responses and the advice!

Edited by ltchobs

I think it can be what you are used to. I used to think a de-ac Sterling would be too heavy, but it seems normal now. I used to carry an M-60 back in my Army days, and that was 21 lbs. The M249 was about 14 lbs and very manageable. The MG-34 is about 26 lbs. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MG_34

I mean, 21 lbs was pretty darn heavy. 26 lbs is a lot - figure it's like carrying 3 M-16's plus some ammo.

I guess it could be cool for a bit, but man you'll need to do some P90x :)

Exactly what I was thinking (minus the P90x, a tad too hardcore for me!), carried a M-16A2 myself long ago (USMC) so know how you can get used to the 7-10 lbs (add in a 203 and it gets interesting) and the M/H isn't 'light' at 10-11lbs but at least I can sling it.

You can get used to carry anything really Have used the MG3(modern day MG42) on several maneuvers, and its heavyer than the MG34.
But weight aside, I think your main concern should be if it can be cleared by local law enforcement.

In Denmark I cant even get a demilled sterling, because of strict gun laws, so I'm forced to use a MR e-11...

If your local laws allow you to own a demilled MG34, I cant see the problem in getting it cleared for cons. I see many people using airsoft guns at cons with no trouble and they look very real as well.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...