My TK Build thread

Well, it's about time I started getting the advice of the fine folks on here as I now have my armor and am working on the details to get official.

I was invited to wear this armor for a recent parade and it fit pretty well and it was then offered to me at a good price so I bought it. I made a few changes to the thigh armor to help with the fit and wore it last Saturday at a local Star Wars Appreciation Day hosted by the local 501st guys, the same who asked me to the parade. I had a great time of course.

Here's a pic of me at the event with my home built Han in Carbonite (the original parade invite was because they wanted my HIC in the parade ;-) )

han.jpg

I know that I need to change the tube stripes to blue, that's in the works right now. I also need to cover the belt in canvas, that too is in the works. I've also added a strap to the thigh armor to make it ride a little higher.

So I'm looking for advice on anything else that needs to be improved/changed. Also, I'm a bit confused between the Stunt/Hero differences so help on that would be appreciated.

Also, I have the bubble lenses that I could use instead for the helmet, does that make any difference, is one style better than the other?

And yes, I know the blaster is not canon, it was borrowed for the day. I have another at home ready to be painted now.

Thanks for any advice.

Mark

Hey there - you might wanna check your armour agains the CRL HERE

You wanna check under ANH Stunt or ANH Hero. These are the basic requirements of your armour to get 501st approval. 

The best thing to do after that is to start your own thread and post lotsa pics. That way the members can and will guide you to where you need to be. 

From just this one picture I can tell  you need to add/fix/adjust/replace a few things. 

Good luck! :)

Nah I think this is the correct place for it. Just keep adding to this thread. 

Remember everyone loves pictures. The more the better so take lots. 

Don't be afraid to ask even the dumbest question. We should be able to get your armour up to standard. :)

Hello Mark, 

I'm sad to tell you that your helmet will not pass basic approval for 501st. You seem to have the first generation of AM armors with the old helmet that resembles the FX, but, with a smaller dome. Here is what the CRL says about this type of helmet: 

• Note: The helmet is accurate in detail and proportion to official references.
    • Many commercially available helmets or those considered disproportionate in size or shape are ineligible.

Also, adjust the fit of the shoulder bells and biceps. They all need to be rolled forward. And check the position of the hanging ammo boxes as they look to be a little too far in. Your helmet can be easily replaced and most have a quick turnaround time when ordering them. I hope you got a good deal. Welcome to the Troopers In White!

Well Tolo, that is disappointing. I bought this armor from a 501st Clone trooper so I assumed he'd gotten the right kind. But he probably didn't know, or he's had it quite awhile and the standards changed. Oh well, my wife can't say no know that I've already spent a bunch of money can she :)

Any advice on getting the right one? Which vendors are the best for a guy with a big head? best way to contact them?

I'll just strip the electronics out of this one for the new one and use this as display somewhere cool. Maybe to impress my IT buddies at work.

I didn't think the ammo boxes were in the right spot so thanks Piettlives for comfirming that.

Mark

No worries Mark, we've all been there. Heck, back in the old day replacing the helmet was normal, and they are much cheaper now than they used to be.

Tolo, is the helmet in the photo so bad it can't be fixed? I'm handy with bondo and sand paper.

Mark

It's that bad.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

You could sell the FX helmet on ebay, just clarify that it won't pass for 501st someone will still buy it if your lucky at 150$. Then you can buy a good helmet kit from one of the suggested vendors here. You can get a AM2.0 Helmet kit or an ATA. Those would match your armor color the closest.

Thanks for all the advice so far, I'm sure I'll need more soon. Soon after I posted about can mine be fixed a bought one from someone here, an AM2.0 as suggested. It'll be in today.

I like the idea of selling the other one, or at least telling my wife that's what I'll do to make up for buying a new one. ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Okay I finished my new helmet. My local South Valley Squad let me attend one of their events in my armor and the Squad Leader told me he thought I was ready to submit my application and took these pics for me. He has several official Clone Armor costumes so he knows his stuff, but it seems to me that reason and protocol dictate that I should ask the experts here first. So here you go, please let me know what you think. It does seem to me that my shoulder bells sit a little to far back, but this was at the end of a long hot day.

Thanks for any advice you can give me.

image.jpeg

image-1.jpeg

image1.jpeg

image-2.jpeg

image-3.jpeg

Bet it felt great to get out there and do some trooping!  Congrats on getting that in! 

You have some trimming to do though;  the back and kidney should be abutting;   it looks like you have quite a few inches of overlap.  You could bring the back/butt down maybe;  your belt is covering your butt in some of the side pics.  

Bet it felt great to get out there and do some trooping!  Congrats on getting that in! 

You have some trimming to do though;  the back and kidney should be abutting;   it looks like you have quite a few inches of overlap.  You could bring the back/butt down maybe;  your belt is covering your butt in some of the side pics.  

Thanks Tusken, it did feel good. Lots of fun as I'm sure you know. I'm joining them again this Saturday,

Just to clarify for me so I don't make any costly mistakes, the parts marked A and B in this photo should abut instead of overlap? So I trim down part B? I assume that also means that there shouldn't be those portions part B showing under my arms either. I just went back and reread the CRL and seems clear but it never hurts to be sure.

On the belt one of the snaps on my belt came unsnapped and the belt slipped down as I turned. I'm probably going to add a small piece of velcro to help keep it up.

image2.jpg

Okay, I went back and looked at some of the reference photos for the back area, not a lot to go on. It looks to me though that I should trim some of the shoulder strap area to make the back plate ride higher on me. That'll reduce the gap under my arms and allow the kidney plate to be wider. I think it still needs trimmed down though.

Does that seem right to you guys?

Mark

Yep your on the right track.  I did not really catch it at first but your chest and back connectors can be rolled more forward towards your chest and then bring the back up like you said.  It  looks like you can then also bring your butt piece down a bit which will also lower your kidney,  and then take a look and see how it is looking.  

I've been looking at the back and front reference photos and it has brought up another question. On my armor the front and back plates have an overlap on the bottom part where they curve around my body. But it looks like that at least for the back plate that's not correct, most of that part that curves forward under the arm doesn't need to be there.. The chest plate does have some of that but perhaps not as much as I have right now. So is it okay to trim those pieces back some? That overlap is a bit unsightly.

Thanks again for all the help.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Those are the easy cut's, the one's from the sides where the chest and back taper across your body.  Best to wait on those until you get the up/down correct on the rest of the armor.  When you make adjustments, then get some pics front/back, but also R/L with your arms up.  

• 1 month later...