Story behind your nickname

Snaps

I've spent the last 15 years as the Chief Mechanic of a now 57 year old Wooden Roller Coaster in Vancouver. I used to be Coasterguy but thought that Coastertk was more fitting. Great thread btw

• Like 3

Pretty straight forward. My name is Dan, and I got into organised fandom through building and then driving R2 around at events. Been doing it for almost ten years now. Time flies!

• Like 2

I was on a wait list for armor for 6 months so I decided to scratch build a blaster or two to keep me occupied, I had made 2 x E-11's, a DLT-19 a T21, and some imperial binders, which I ended making for squad members, fellow members then started calling me quartermaster because of what I had been making, it then got shortened to Q and that has stuck. First nickname I've ever had and happy to have it :D.

From a fellow member

Q2.jpg

• Like 5

Glad everyone has liked this thread! It's been a blast learning something about you all!

Keep the stories / reasons coming :)

Edited by Snaps
  • Like 5

Mine is a long story that I'll make into a short story. I played guitar in a band called "One Step Behind" in the late 90's. We went by OSB, to most of our fans. Everyone in the band had a nickname. Me being Jeremy, turned into Jer-boy, ended up J-dawg. So now I go with band name and band nickname. Osbjdawg.

• Like 1

There is a tradition in the Canadian Garrison that you are not allowed to pick your own nickname. It is given to you. A name may be nominated but it must be supported by two other CG members. Typically the names come from random inspired actions/events.

It's common for our garrison to go out for dinner and drinks after a troop and the gents and ladies of the Canadian Garrison stared noticing my love for dill pickles. Many incriminating photos ensued. Also, without warning, my handle here on FISD was "mysteriously" changed to "Pickles" (looking at you Eric!). hahaha

Photoshopping followed shortly thereafter... hehe

548326_10153151345790344_229421537_n.jpg

10329323_10154166995100344_2736460628485

Edited by Pickles
  • Like 8

Well my name is a combination of two ideas.  Obviously most of you see star as in Star Wars and Saber as in Lightsaber and it is just combined.  That is true and where the idea really did come from.  However the 25 at the end comes from Transformers.  I loved Transformers growing up and many years ago I stumbled upon the Japanese series called Transformers Victory.  The hero in that series was named Star Saber and this series took place in the year 2025. 

So there you have it.  Combo of Star Wars and Transformers....starsaber25

This is a pretty cool thread.

• Like 2

Yup, gamertag for me too.  Although back then we called them nicks.  Gather round kids, he's telling the history of LAN gaming story....

At the turn of the century when the internet was still too slow for proper first person shooters, we used to hire a hall in Slough and lug our huge PCs and CRT monitors for a weekend of beer and Counter-Strike.  The hall had been recently upgraded to 100mb network (!!), and had two 24 port switches, meaning we could fill the hall with profanity, the smell of pizza and gunfire.

After several drunken weekends of being shot repeatedly in the head everytime I turned a corner, I realised that the guys that didn't die over and over as I did, were bunny-hopping as they turned corners, so that the snipers couldn't hit them.  From then on, I bounced everywhere and quickly became known as Zebedee, after the Magic Roundabout character; a boy with a spring for legs. :)

• Like 5

Yup, gamertag for me too.  Although back then we called them nicks.  Gather round kids, he's telling the history of LAN gaming story....

At the turn of the century when the internet was still too slow for proper first person shooters, we used to hire a hall in Slough and lug our huge PCs and CRT monitors for a weekend of beer and Counter-Strike.  The hall had been recently upgraded to 100mb network (!!), and had two 24 port switches, meaning we could fill the hall with profanity, the smell of pizza and gunfire.

After several drunken weekends of being shot repeatedly in the head everytime I turned a corner, I realised that the guys that didn't die over and over as I did, were bunny-hopping as they turned corners, so that the snipers couldn't hit them.  From then on, I bounced everywhere and quickly became known as Zebedee, after the Magic Roundabout character; a boy with a spring for legs. :)

Ole timer gamers you'll love this, so I had a SONY 30" CRT flat screen (ok so it was virtually flat), $2000, 75lbs with a 15ms refresh rate it was the shiznick. The draw back was it was so heavy I couldn't take it to LAN parties.  When I did go I ended up having to playing on a 19" (WHICH STANK!). Also, the thing was so heavy it caused but a bow in my $1000 desk.  :blink:

I had the first commercially made water cooler tower "Koolance" that I used of course to overclocked my Intel Pentium III 933Mhz to 1 GHZ, then soiled myself with excitement. Then the coolant eventually rotted through the radiator down onto $1,500 worth of hardware letting all the smoke out. Oh and they didn't have guarantee against leakage warranties back then.

Internet speeds and connections were so unreliable to that if you didn't have a commercial T1 line in your house or you were 2 miles from the server you were always getting your hinie shot off before rounding a corner, giving a whole new term to the word LAG compared to today. Those who've been gaming no more than 15 years have no clue   

Edited by ukswrath
  • Like 2

Stormtrooper from Ninety Six, SC USA. Yep, a town with a number for a name!

Funny how cities/towns are named, in your case after a mile marker.

From Charleston myself

• Like 1

In addition to Star Wars, I am a big fan of The Legend of Zelda.  In Zelda II, there is an NPC who simply states "I AM ERROR".  I took the name so that I could introduce myself the same way on Zelda forums, and decided to keep it here.

Edited by ERROR
  • Like 3

Gamertag for me as well. Starting from Diablo, Battlefield 1942, and on, CHRIStofff, (of some variation of) was it. Then I was unable to make a new account for Google e-mail one day on a bunch of tries of different numbers after the name. So, I went with my name without any vowels. It's never taken which is great!!

On ‎2‎/‎20‎/‎2015 at 8:13 AM, wingnut65 said:

I've always liked airplanes.  My dad brought home a Piper Tri-Pacer to rebuild in our garage when I was 4. Since then, I've been hanging around airports. Got my private pilot license after college, but haven't flown in too many years.  . For some people, having boats and hanging at the marina is a norm. For me, it is airplanes. 

So, I've always used 'wingnut' in some form.  Kinda a like plane-crazy.  It fits me!   The 65 is for my family's 1965 VW Bus (11-window Kombi) that I am restoring in my garage.  OK, its really on the back burner until I can get a couple costumes completed!

BTW, Thank's, Snaps for starting this.  There are so many time's I've wondered about some of these names.

On ‎2‎/‎20‎/‎2015 at 8:28 AM, ukswrath said:

11-window Kombi ? Dude, I am sooooooo jealous. Have any pics?  :duim: 

BTW my dad used to call me wingnut. I was cool with it until I grew up and realized what a wingnut was. Then I asked him why he nickname me after car part? He had no answer. In my opinion I think was because he was into muscle cars being from Detroit and I was a bit of a spaz when I was a kid, well still am a bit but that's another story :D. So you take an automotive part and a crazy kid that was dirty most of the time and what do you get, a wingnut. :laugh1:  

Tony, I wouldn't take it too personal.  Wingnuts are nuts, but the world wouldn't be held together without us. I mean, them. :duim:

I don't want to get this off track more than it has, but the question was asked.  Here it is when it was new

3gs65DM.jpg

And here is the current status. Not enough done yet and too much left to do. After I finish my Tusken, I will finish replacing the front floor board and both front valances, finish the brake job and then pull the engine. 

fFrFszN.jpg

And now back to the regularly scheduled Awesome Thread!!!!    :dancing-trooper: 

Edited by wingnut65

Tony, I wouldn't take it too personal.  Wingnuts are nuts, but the world wouldn't be held together without us. I mean, them. :duim:

I don't want to get this off track more than it has, but the question was asked.  Here it is when it was new

And here is the current status. Not enough done yet and too much left to do. After I finish my Tusken, I will finish replacing the front floor board and both front valances, finish the brake job and then pull the engine. 

And now back to the regularly scheduled Awesome Thread!!!!    :dancing-trooper: 

Beautiful just beautiful. :D Every time I see one being restored it brings a tear of joy to my eye. So many fond memories in my teenage years, surfin SoCal, trips to Mex, such good times. Keep up the good work. Would love to see your progress over time, you can send me a PM with pics if you like   :popcorn: