Story behind your nickname

Snaps

Thought it'd be interesting to find out the story behind your nickname....

Mine is I started off as slangen, parts of my full name. But I wanted something easier and better. I asked a buddy of mine for help. As a joke, he suggested Gee Buttersnaps that was used as a nickname in one of the episodes of show called Psych. That's how Snaps came into play. My first few troops, I had problems with the snaps in my shoulder bells to biceps so that made Snaps even better on top of it was short and simple like a lot of clone trooper nicknames.

What's your reason or story? :)

• Like 4

CM are my initials and I drive a 1990 BMW 325i... not very exciting.

I've always wanted my nickname IRL to be "The Zec" (from the movie Jack Reacher) Last 3 letters of my last name plus it sounds cool.

• Like 1

Many many moons ago, I signed up on a form as Sith Lord, because I like Star Wars and thought it was cool. I can't believe that I can keep signing up to forums, especially Star Wars based ones and Sith Lord is still available.... I think I had to drop the "i" on Blizzard Force though...

• Like 1

Teacher told me "polarbear" wasn't written as "isbear", got sw battlefront for pc the same day, so thats became my name pretty much everywhere from that point.

Also Bears aare cool

Edited by ISBEAR
  • Like 1

My last name is Garber. My high school buddy Mike "Raz" Rasbach, out of the blue called me "Garbz." He said "Garbz ends in the letter Z, because only cool people have the letter Z in their nicknames."

Been using it since 1992!

• Like 1

Well, here we are. Sly, is a nick name my buddy's gave me back in my Clubbing days.

I was lucky enough to have some pretty Hot girlfriends and for some reason I had no problem picking up good looking girls.

It started off they would say, Look at this sly dog, how does he do it, in the end they just called me Sly.

Forgot to mention, 11 is my lucky number, also was born on the 11th.

Will eventually just change my forum name to Sly.

I can also do a fairly reasonable Sylvester Stallone impersonation.

Yo Adrien

Edited by Sly11
  • Like 4

When I was young I wrote my name with a "S" in front of it for some odd reason (STomas). When I was about 12, I decided the reason for it was be cos I was trying to write "Sir". Around that time I was also being called Tomasu of few friends.

So the first time I want on a LAN I put the two together and have been using it since then :) 

• Like 2

DymnDog: Its pronounced "Diamond Dog" because I have been a long time David Bowie fan (based on his Album/Song of the same name) and that was going to be a personalized license plate, but I never got round to it. I've used DymnDog on online forums going back to the 1990's BBS systems and my Xbox Gamertag. I like it, but people often mispronounce it "Dim-Dog?" SMH

• Like 5

Cool thread! Tusken for me was my first 501 costume, RTT is the designation for Radiologic Technologist-Therapy, my job (radiation therapist). Zapping cancer patients with radiation.

Kudos for your job, people like you gave me an extra year with my dad!

Really simple for me. Last 4 letters of my last name. Have that nickname since the age of 5-6 years old (I'm 36 at the present). I still remember my friends brainstorming on wanting to give me a nickname. That nickname became more a name for me, except my close family members it's Tolo. I used to signed Tolo on exams at school and get my grades. I was part of the pro wrestling scene at a certain point in my life and my name there was Tolo. I even have it tattooed on my right arm!

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Great thread btw-

I was in bands most all the way through high school and my fav band then and still now (and mostly my influence to music) was the Beatles. But of course to be different - I merged their worldly sounds with the grunge era and mimicked Nirvana. A lot lol.

Most people don't know that before Nirvana was Nirvana - they were PencapChew. Even have a rare song titled it. So virtually anything I do online is hat or some derivation. 510 is my birthday (may 10)

:)

• Like 2

While I was doing my build, Derek (Dday) made a comment and said I was as "blonde as Luke."  (I even forget the exact context now, but it was about reshaping one bit or other of the armor to make it fit better.)  So, I changed my screenname because it summed up everything I was working on and all those back and forth conversations with everyone always made me laugh and helped so much.

• Like 3

It's great reading these and learning some things about you all! Thanks for sharing and hope more will...

I like that thread. You had a nice idea there

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I got the nickname 'Quad'  because back in high school a dear close friend of mine called me  her "dragol Mew.  I know I spelt that wrong. but its means 'my love' my buddys at the  time gave me flack for it and instead of dragul (with her accent they said couldn't hear the L and herd "quadaon")  So from there they shortened it to Quad.. 

(had to edit it my post, spelt to many things wrong) LoL

Edited by Quadan
  • Like 2

It was the nickname my (now ex) girlfriend created in the dark times before Internet, when we were on BBS. Boy that was long ago ... She wanted to mix spicy and spy-see (long story but she kind of stalked me at the time) and she ended up with that. I took it from her and I used it for 20 years ...

• Like 3

ukswrath, short for unknown soldiers wrath. Gamer tag since the days of Wolfenstein 3d. A lot of peeps think I'm from the UK for some reason. I know, boring.

Edited by ukswrath
  • Like 7

Once upon a time, 20+ years ago whilst playing Wolfenstein 3D and other games on a LAN in our barrack's rooms and BBS's (there seems to be a theme here eh?) my screen name was T-Way, first initial, and first three letters of my last name.

I had a habit of playing only by the light of the television, otherwise sitting in total darkness. My friends started calling me Dark as a result. That stuck. CMF... That is my Xbox Live Clan, and Paintball team. It is tattooed on my left shoulder, actually. What does it stand for? This is a family friendly forum, but insane people doing bad things to matriarchs is a solid hint.

My Gamertag on XBL is Dark CMF.

Edited by Dark CMF
  • Like 5

sylverbard.

I've been accused of having a silver tongue when it comes to public speaking and selling people things but i've never been accused of just selling people crap or simply being a yes-man or simply saying what someone wants to hear. i'm honest to a fault.  

I'm a heraldry student and have some formal training from the Scotland College of Heralds.  I can wander through heraldic devices for hours looking at how many ways people found to say 'we's better than you yo!' and i carried that into a minor in art history with a focus on Inuit sculpture (arctic Canada specific) and propaganda artwork psychology.

As a fan of dungeons and dragons i have always played bards.  or smart fighters.  a wizard once. a cleric once. i helped write second edition and 3.0 and 3.5 and worked summers for the major players at Gencon and Origins and in January at a convention called Winter Fantasy in Fort Wayne.

I also like Shakespeare and wrote a soliloquy to a girl i liked once. it didn't win her over.

At the Interactive (costumed) events i coloured my Bard characters hair silver and had green contacts to go with the elven ears (half-aquatic elf bard) and introduced the writers of the Forgotten Realms to 10 000 gamers at midnight in Indianapolis at the opening of the new convention center. there are embarrassing pics online still i am certain.

All that said...i'm a Bard.  also a druid but that's not involved.  When someone sent me a note addressed to 'the sylver tongued bard' i shortened it because it seemed right.

All *that* said, i'm horribly shy, learned to read very late, am dyslexic when it comes to simply mathematics, served my country as a long distance shooter and medic, openly admit i have self esteem and depression issues especially the last few years...but i can hide all that behind the Sylverbard. And i'm going back to school at 46 to become a full Nurse.

Sorry to be verbose.  And boring.

2020 update: jebus this thread has grown.  No, didn't make it in the RN program... life turned upsideways , PTSD reactions to direct patient interventions sort of cut my clinicals off, so I will end up with a 4 year Arts -Interdisciplinary degree, and hopefully start a Masters of Aging Studies soon, with a goal of fixing how we (the people) prepare ourselves for the third act (growing old), plan our future care with regards to sudden unplanned need (dementia, accident, stroke) with no family or friends to give 100% answers, and desired level of continuing care, when we might not be able to speak for ourselves any longer.  Also, fix the way government looks at "retirement", move consensus away from treating growing old as a commodity and stop licensing profit-shops to take care of us.

Edited by sylverbard
  • Like 5