Freedom of Speech? Where?

TK bondservnt

America does not allow freedom of speech.

In our cultural environment we do not have the freedom to speak.

IF you take 5 minutes to do a google search you can find how americans are punished for what they say.

football players.  Politicians, actors.. all are crucified in public opinion by insults.

some americans are FINED BY THEIR EMPLOYER as punishment for their speech.

members of staff on the FISD have thrown out questionable comments.

I ranted because of them.

and what happened?  my comments were erased.

freedom to be brushed under the rug

I have seen a comparison between america and russia.on the  FISD used as a way to excuse insults.

america if you study her... has punished many for what they have said.

THE FISD CAN GROW UP! by standing up.

The GOAL of communication is peace. and understanding.  Dare i say that the FISD should offer LOVE?

Edited by TK Bondservnt 2392

I don't know what you mean by your deleted comments ...  

We never had absolute freedom of speech, we never will, and it's a good thing.  Your freedom stops where the freedom of the others start.  I don't say that it applies to you ...  But I don't want to live in a place where anybody can say anything.  We must respect each other to have a functional society.  Depending what you are saying, you can hurt other people.  Sometimes hurting people with words can do a lot more damage than physically hurting someone.  And if someone hurt me physically, he can go in jail for that.  What to do with someone who says aggressive things in public ?  What to do with bullying ?  Is bullying someone permitted because of freedom of speech ?

Again, maybe it does not apply with your situation, but we must be cautious with the words "freedom of speech" ...

• Like 2

Well at least you can still have freedom of speech in your own house, (as long as nobody else is home, and nobody else can hear you). Unfortunately, if you offend yourself while talking in the mirror, then you can sue yourself. Maybe even get a nice settlement to pay for a vacation. That's my view on that. Very few people know what you're talking about I'm sure. I feel as though most comments will come back to this either irrelevant to what your purpose was, or negatively. Good luck to you either way. Oh, and I have heard of places fining employees for what they say/do. I can see a purpose to it, but it doesn't mean I like it either.

• Like 1

If someone edits your posts, they should send you a pm of why. Our poor CotG has me on speed dial. :)

We sometimes fly off the handle with emotional posts. When threads get heated, walk away, calm down, re-read comments. Sometimes people feel the need to be cheeky, but without hearing social tones and vocal pitches, one cannot "hear" the message and s#%* goes south, fast.

Perhaps your editor will send you a pm soon to clear the confusion.

all due respect.  because we are all always respectful of each other, yes?

if you have to take the route of a public outrage post to ask why your posts were removed....then you already know the answer.  public solicitation of others to share, endorse, and spread the word about your issue is just propaganda.

last time i checked the FISD has an Imperial Propaganda Department...but its goal is to recruit new and support all members in costume related areas.  not stir trouble.

I have reviewed the logs of deleted or hidden posts and unless you are more forthcoming with what you are talking about I see no issue here, as all posts hidden or deleted have either been double posts or justifiably hidden.

Are you sure you're not just reading the wrong thread again, as in http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/26444-to-pauldron-or-not-to-pauldron/?p=385114 ?

• Like 1

Hey Vern, when it comes to freedom of speech or freedom in general I am so with you.

I spend a good deal of time outside of this website, on my soap box defending what little freedoms we have left. We live in a country where the loss of liberties is a direct result of political correctness. I grew up in a time where if you and your buddy had a problem you went out back and dealt with it, came back had a beer and laughed. Today with the demise of parenting, family, honor, respect and good old fashion communication, we now live in a world driven by the "everyone deserves an award" and "Let's not offend little Johnny" mentality. 

Getting off my soap box, though I know nothing about what you said and what was deleted. I'm assuming you had legitimate concerns you wanted addressed that were either swept under the carpet or removed to protect the honor and integrity of the armor we wear and why we wear it. Either way, I've found if I want others to listen and take heed to what I have to say, I do so in respect to others. I'm not say to cower to PC, I'm saying let the passion you have flow with integrity and respect.     

I would encourage you to resubmit your concern. 

• Like 3

FISD is not a public place, the freedom of speech does not apply.

It is a private forum where the admins can make any rules they want and are not required to answer to anyone but themselves.

While this is not what they strive for and would make a bad forum that people who not come to, but they are not held by the freedom of speech rules. They can censor, edit and delete to their hearts content. Especially if the comments are inflammatory, derogatory, repeated or just plain mean.

I don't know what happened, so I can't say that you are part of  the above things.

This place is private property and the owner/administrators has the right to refuse service to anyone they want.

• Like 10

FISD is not a public place, the freedom of speech does not apply.

It is a private forum where the admins can make any rules they want and are not required to answer to anyone but themselves.

While this is not what they strive for and would make a bad forum that people who not come to, but they are not held by the freedom of speech rules. They can censor, edit and delete to their hearts content. Especially if the comments are inflammatory, derogatory, repeated or just plain mean.

I don't know what happened, so I can't say that you are part of  the above things.

This place is private property and the owner/administrators has the right to refuse service to anyone they want.

Well I'm glad the right to refuse service still exists somewhere in the world  :duim:

• Like 3

Hey Vern... as you've done many times in the past whenever you feel this level of outrage... you're welcome to PM the command staff if you have a concern. I've never ignored you when you've come to me with a complaint. You're welcome to send a message about this to me, Mathias and Mark...  or just Mathias if you prefer.

-Eric

• Like 1

The GOAL of communication is peace. and understanding.  Dare i say that the FISD should offer LOVE?

In addition to just understanding, I think the goal of communication is to accurately convey a message to a specific audience, and that audience to receive and comprehend said message. 

When that doesn't effectively take place, whether the fault of the communicator, or the audience, things get misconstrued, feelings can get hurt, tempers can flair, and rants can get deleted. I don't know if FISD offers love, but you must love me to have my picture in your signature banner.  :laugh1:

• Like 4

Not the last time I checked... your point is?  :)

Ahem..

This is an international forum, no matter what you think about that. If that doesn't suit you, you can go elsewhere.

Ahem..

This is an international forum, no matter what you think about that. If that doesn't suit you, you can go elsewhere.

That was my point, never at any point did I state this is our (US) forum. How that was pulled out of the air is pretty amazing.

Edited by ukswrath

That was my point, never at any point did I state this is our (US) forum. How that was pulled out of the air is pretty amazing.

You're right, I missed the double negation. Apologies.

Just referring to the first post and how it reads the first time around thats all. :)

Not problem, no offense taken  :D  

The FISD is a melting pot of costume builders from around the world. The fact we can put aside global and political issues for a common cause should be a testament to this organization.  

We're a family here, or at least I'd like to think so :smiley-sw013:     

Edited by ukswrath
  • Like 2

I think A LOT of ppl here in this country do NOT understand the concept of the Constitutional "Freedom of Speech".  It means that the GOVERNMENT cannot curtail speech and punish its citizens for voicing their opinions.  It's does NOT apply to private companies or organizations!

Thus, employees CAN be reprimanded or fired for voicing their opinions if it's deemed offensive or in violation of the company policies.  Also, ppl can be banned from internet forums.  I see this discussion brought up A LOT in almost every internet forum out there.  Because, ppl get upset that they are banned from the forum for insulting another forum member.  They then cry something about "Freedom of Speech".

I find it odd that so many ppl here in America don't understand that simple concept.  They just think that Freedom of Speech means that they say whatever they want to anyone and anywhere! LOL

The analogy would be the Constitutional right to bear arms.  Citizens have a right to own guns.  However, a business or home owner HAS the right to say that they don't want guns in their workplace or home.  It's private property and they have the "right" to ban guns on their property.

Edited by hon143
  • Like 4

I started this thread after our beloved detachment leader was taken to task over private communications that were leaked

it was actually started as a sign of support for eric brager.

freedom of speech is either free or it is not

there should be no restriction on speech, in public or private.  if speech EVEN when emotional is edited, altered, or erased, or "Archived" it results

in the SPECTRE of censorship.

in a true free world we are supposed to have freedom to speak WITHOUT being edited.

both eric and mathias missed the point of this thread.

people during the heated election debate over bullying resulted in a question asked by our detachment founder. and he cited our 'FREEDOM OF SPEECH'

the FISD should uphold honesty and transparency when it comes to post content as long as it does not infringe on another person's right.

the goal of this thead was to point out that eric's private communication was used against him.  and that certainly violates his right to speak freely.

personally I put this thread out there to examine the FISD policy on true freedom of speech

this was not a rant, it was a show of support.  and when I rant... it's out of love in the first place...  private website's are not excluded from the responsibility to allow speech to stand on it's own merit.   Even Eric's private communication was his right to share his opinion. EVEN when negative in nature.

Eric has the right to rant... We all should have the right to speak freely our opinions without edit even when critical for a positive purpose.

Eric has the right to rant.   mathias has the right to rant... vern has the right to rant.

and if we look foolish after reading our emotion filled posts... then we should send flowers to the FISD and say we're sorry. 

Edited by TK Bondservnt 2392

Yes, we all do have the right to rant. But not here.

Freedom of speech protects you from being arrested by police/government while having a (non-hateful*) speech in a park, but it doesn't protect you from being tossed out of someone's home if you offend them.

*Generally, when you trample other peoples rights by exploiting yours, yours are taken away from you instead. Very common with hate crimes.

• Like 1