WARNING TO ANYONE ASSEMBLING RS PROPS PVC ARMOR!

gazmosis

I have RS armour and am mid build.  I started my legs at the weekend and cut them out so I had a few bits of off cut from the legs.  As an experiment I did the following:

I put them in a bowl and ran the hot tap over the offcuts.  There was no change and on removing them from the bowl with tongues there was no pliability in the PVC.

Next I poured a freshly boiled kettle over the PVC.  The Water was allowed to drain off down the sink.  No pliability in the PVC.

Offcuts in a bowl with hot tap water (Tap water is too hot to hold hand under).  Left to soak for 5 minutes.  No pliability in PVC.

Offcuts in a bowl with freshly boiled kettle left for a few minutes.  Now I had pliability, I pulled out the piece with tongues and was able to manipulate it into a shape and mould it.  

No matter what I tried I couldn't get the same 'shrinkage' effect you got there.  It's very odd.  I'm wondering if it's perhaps a substandard bit of PVC you've got there?  Either way, the point of this was to say if you do own RS Armour then it doesn't necessarily do what yours did so any worries about being attacked with hot water on troop should be banished. 

I distorted a bicep once with rubber bands and boiling water. Left it to cool over night, and woke up to the distorted piece... 30$ lesson learned. It was ABS. No where near that bad. Sorry for your loss Steve!

I could only see the left side and thought "It's not too bad...that could be fixed". I then clicked on the photo and instantly cringed and winced!!! EEK! The other side almost made me puke. A Deathtrooper couldn't even make use of that gastly thing. Sorry for your loss.

To Chris  (Chills) I have adjusted ABS parts time and time again on ATA, AP and even Walt's Kids armor with hot water. I have actually immersed the part into the boiling water while still on the stove. Never had an issue. 

I think Jane may not have had the same results mainly because of the thickness of the pieces being tested. The RS thigh this happened on was very thin. Scrap or end parts trimmed off can be thicker. Maybe this was the deciding factor??? We may never know. RS has yet to contact me back on this matter.

• Like 1

People have been asking me if RS is going to do anything. Since this happened, none of my messages have been returned. I have sent 5 separate ones. I hate to think they are ignoring this but the guy who's armor this is has not had his messages responded to in 3 months. Not very happy with this right now

People have been asking me if RS is going to do anything. Since this happened, none of my messages have been returned. I have sent 5 separate ones. I hate to think they are ignoring this but the guy who's armor this is has not had his messages responded to in 3 months. Not very happy with this right now

I agree, it's not very encouraging especially since they are a "vetted builder". Them and TM both were on my bucket list of armor's to purchase next. I may have to reconsider RS.

Troubling this is  :yoda:

Edited by ukswrath

I agree, it's not very encouraging especially since they are a "vetted builder". Them and TM both were on my bucket list of armor's to purchase next. I may have to reconsider.

Troubling this is  :yoda:

In what is TM involved in it?

This looks more like a heat gun treatment gone wrong to me. I have built several (read: more than 20) RS suits over the years, mainly PVC, and I have never seen the material behave like this. And I have used heat to reshape it as well. Are you sure you used water only? It's just super puzzling...

This looks more like a heat gun treatment gone wrong to me. I have built several (read: more than 20) RS suits over the years, mainly PVC, and I have never seen the material behave like this. And I have used heat to reshape it as well. Are you sure you used water only? It's just super puzzling...

In all my armor building experience, I have yet to point a heat gun at an armor part in fact I don't even own one. What you don't see here is the shin half I was trying to reshape at the same time. That was placed inside the thigh and water was poured over both. That too, was ruined.

You weren't there, Dan and your forensic assessment could not be any farther from the truth.